Aircraft type longest service career?

Old November 28th 03, 11:23 PM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

Default Aircraft type longest service career?

The B2/PR9 Canberra?
(FF 1949, entered service 1951, still in service?)

Regards...
Old November 29th 03, 12:16 AM
Dave Kearton

"Bjørnar Bolsøy" wrote in message

The B2/PR9 Canberra?
(FF 1949, entered service 1951, still in service?)

Regards...

Beaten easily by the C-47

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old November 29th 03, 12:43 AM
N329DF

Beaten easily by the C-47

and a close 2nd, the T-6/SNJ/Harvard 1938-1995
Matt Gunsch,
A&P,IA,Private Pilot
Riding member of the
2003 world champion drill team
Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team
GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Old November 29th 03, 01:01 AM
Ken Duffey

N329DF wrote:

Beaten easily by the C-47

and a close 2nd, the T-6/SNJ/Harvard 1938-1995
Matt Gunsch,
A&P,IA,Private Pilot
Riding member of the
2003 world champion drill team
Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team
GWRRA,NRA,GOA

I think we agreed last time that the longest OPERATIONAL jet was the
Lockheed T-33 - which just beat the Canberra by a couple of years.

As for the C-47 - I think the SAAF still operates them ??

Anyone still using the T-6 operationally (as opposed to
warbirds/private) ??

You have to be very precise with your definition - by 'service career'
do you mean with a military arm ?? or in service with an airline or
serving with some organisation.

For example the T-6 is still 'serving' with the CAF - and I think one is
still used (in service) by the RAE at Boscombe Down as a chase plane.

But would they count as still having a 'service career' ??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old November 29th 03, 01:43 AM
Ed Majden

"Ken Duffey"
For example the T-6 is still 'serving' with the CAF - and I think one is
still used (in service) by the RAE at Boscombe Down as a chase plane.

Ken:
I know the motto of the CAF is, "We fly old crates", but I think the T-6
Harvard is long retired unless it has been resurrected as our first line
interceptor. ;-) With budget cut backs, that may be a possibility! The
primary trainer is the CT-156 Harvard II which is definitely not the T-6!
The CL-41 Tutor has been replaced by the CT-155 Hawk jet trainer. The
Snowbird air demonstration team still fly the Tutor but they need
replacement. Basic flying training is now done by a civilian contractor,
Bombardier Ltd out of CFB Moose Jaw, Sask. Another result of trying to cut
costs!
Ed
RCAF/CAF retired.

Old November 29th 03, 03:04 AM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

Ken Duffey wrote in
:

I think we agreed last time that the longest OPERATIONAL jet was
the Lockheed T-33 - which just beat the Canberra by a couple of
years.

Sure looks like the CAF had them going until last year
or so:

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/equip/equip1g_e.htm

You have to be very precise with your definition - by 'service
career' do you mean with a military arm ?? or in service with an
airline or serving with some organisation.

For example the T-6 is still 'serving' with the CAF - and I
think one is still used (in service) by the RAE at Boscombe Down
as a chase plane.

But would they count as still having a 'service career' ??

Both yes and no I guess, though my thought was "operational"
in that it has some sort of tactical role in an airforce.

Regards...

Old November 29th 03, 03:21 AM

"Ed Majden" wrote:

"Ken Duffey"
For example the T-6 is still 'serving' with the CAF - and I think one is
still used (in service) by the RAE at Boscombe Down as a chase plane.

Ken:
I know the motto of the CAF is, "We fly old crates", but I think the T-6
Harvard is long retired unless it has been resurrected as our first line
interceptor. ;-) With budget cut backs, that may be a possibility! The
primary trainer is the CT-156 Harvard II which is definitely not the T-6!
The CL-41 Tutor has been replaced by the CT-155 Hawk jet trainer. The
Snowbird air demonstration team still fly the Tutor but they need
replacement. Basic flying training is now done by a civilian contractor,
Bombardier Ltd out of CFB Moose Jaw, Sask. Another result of trying to cut
costs!
Ed
RCAF/CAF retired.

Ed, I suspect that Ken is referring to the Confederate Air Force
vice Canadian Armed Forces. Yes?
--

-Gord.
Old November 29th 03, 03:45 AM
Ed Majden

"Gord Beaman"

Ed, I suspect that Ken is referring to the Confederate Air Force
vice Canadian Armed Forces. Yes?

Gord:
I suspect your right, forgot about them. They sometimes come up here
for airshows and are enjoyed very much. Thanks to our big spending
government our CAF still fly OLD crates. Example: The Herc, the Buffalo,
SeaKing etc. All need serious replacement before they drop out of the
skies!
Ed

Old November 29th 03, 03:52 AM

"Ed Majden" wrote:

"Gord Beaman"

Ed, I suspect that Ken is referring to the Confederate Air Force
vice Canadian Armed Forces. Yes?

Gord:
I suspect your right, forgot about them. They sometimes come up here
for airshows and are enjoyed very much. Thanks to our big spending
government our CAF still fly OLD crates. Example: The Herc, the Buffalo,
SeaKing etc. All need serious replacement before they drop out of the
skies!
Ed

Certainly a lotta truth in them there words podner
--

-Gord.
Old November 29th 03, 06:11 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Ed Majden" wrote in message

"Gord Beaman"

Ed, I suspect that Ken is referring to the Confederate Air Force
vice Canadian Armed Forces. Yes?

Gord:
I suspect your right, forgot about them. They sometimes come up here
for airshows and are enjoyed very much. Thanks to our big spending
government our CAF still fly OLD crates. Example: The Herc, the Buffalo,
SeaKing etc. All need serious replacement before they drop out of the
skies!
Ed

Ed;

I flew an aerobatic eval flight on the Snowbirds #10 Tutor as the team's
guest at the Reading Air Show in 75. I'm not sure exactly where it is now,
but the last I heard from some of the old Snowbird alumni, it was still in
operation!!
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired