When Thunder Rolled

Old August 26th 03, 03:25 PM
Cub Driver

Default When Thunder Rolled

I happened to be conversing (actually, e-conversing) with Smithsonian
Institution Press yesterday, and I was told that Ed Rasimus's book,
When Thunder Rolled, is being reprinted. For SIP, this is unheard of!
It was published only in March. Two years is more like it, and most
SIP books never go back to the printer.

http://www.warbirdforum.com/thunder.htm

Congratulations, Ed (Raz, whoever)!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 26th 03, 04:51 PM
Dale

In article , Cub Driver
wrote:

When Thunder Rolled, is being reprinted. For SIP, this is unheard of!

WTG Ed!!

Now where's that F-4 book?

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old August 27th 03, 12:30 AM
Matt Richards

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
Dale wrote:

In article , Cub Driver
wrote:

When Thunder Rolled, is being reprinted. For SIP, this is unheard of!

WTG Ed!!

Now where's that F-4 book?

I'm working on it, really...I am.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038

Ed,

Any idea when/if your book will make it to Australia? Or will I have to
order it off the net?

Matt.

Old August 27th 03, 12:38 AM
Bill Silvey

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

Dale wrote:

In article , Cub Driver
wrote:

When Thunder Rolled, is being reprinted. For SIP, this is unheard
of!

WTG Ed!!

Now where's that F-4 book?

I'm working on it, really...I am.

Slightly on that subject, sir, have you read Maj. Trotti's book "Phantom
Over Vietnam"? Just curious if you had and what you thought...

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old August 27th 03, 01:56 AM
Ed Rasimus

"Matt Richards" wrote:

Ed,

Any idea when/if your book will make it to Australia? Or will I have to
order it off the net?

Matt.

I suspect there's an Amazon.com for Australia--I know there's a
British one and a Japanese site as well. Folks have sent me links to
my book page at both of those. So, check Amazon, wherever you have to
go to order it. I don't suspect you'll find it stocked in your local
outback general store.

Heck, I'd like to see it in the US at places like Wal-Mart or even
military exchanges, but that hasn't happened yet either.

Barnes & Noble has it, as does Borders in the US.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old August 27th 03, 04:58 AM
Matt Richards

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
"Matt Richards" wrote:

Ed,

Any idea when/if your book will make it to Australia? Or will I have to
order it off the net?

Matt.

I suspect there's an Amazon.com for Australia--I know there's a
British one and a Japanese site as well. Folks have sent me links to
my book page at both of those. So, check Amazon, wherever you have to
go to order it. I don't suspect you'll find it stocked in your local
outback general store.

Heck, I'd like to see it in the US at places like Wal-Mart or even
military exchanges, but that hasn't happened yet either.

Barnes & Noble has it, as does Borders in the US.

Ed Rasimus

There isnt an Amazon in Australia

I went up to Borders Sydney city store today, and they dont have it and cant
order it in. Looks like I'll be ordering it off the net.

Matt.

Old August 27th 03, 10:53 AM
Cub Driver

I suspect there's an Amazon.com for Australia--I know there's a

No, not yet!

Heck, I'd like to see it in the US at places like Wal-Mart or even
military exchanges, but that hasn't happened yet either.

SIP used to be famously difficult and cheap to deal with; many stores
won't carry SIP books. (It also used to be difficult to get a review
copy from them, but evidently that has changed, to judge by the email
exchange I just had with them.) I think part of the problem is that
they won't give deep discounts to individual stores, so by the time
the store has paid the shipping it really doesn't make any profit at
all from the book.

I've several times suggested to a museum bookstore that they stock
Flying Tigers or Glen Edwards, only to be told that they didn't do
bidniz with SIP. And those are avaiation-related shops!

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 27th 03, 10:56 AM
Cub Driver

I went up to Borders Sydney city store today, and they dont have it and cant
order it in. Looks like I'll be ordering it off the net.

You'll likely come out best at Amazon US. You can compare prices by
clicking on the links at www.warbirdforum.com/thunder.htm -- over on
the right column.

Take surface mail. It may well turn out to be air. I bought a book
from Amazon.co.jp and got it by US (!) Priority Mail in about a week.
Evidently they send the stuff over in batches by air freight, then
remail. Might do the same for Oz.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 27th 03, 02:57 PM
Ed Rasimus

Cub Driver wrote:

[...]

I hate to be viewed as "biting the hand that feeds me", but they don't
feed me very much (or often.) SIP has been remarkably disappointing in
their marketing. Thanks to your great job doing the review for WSJ,
and the buzz which it generated, the book has done well, but SIP
doesn't acknowledge that it happened through R.A.M.
conversations--they attribute it to Matt Litts in their shop, who
simply mailed you the review galleys.

They bring new meaning to the concept of a "non-profit" corporation.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old August 28th 03, 11:46 AM
ikke

I hate to be viewed as "biting the hand that feeds me", but they don't
feed me very much (or often.) SIP has been remarkably disappointing in
their marketing. Thanks to your great job doing the review for WSJ,
and the buzz which it generated, the book has done well, but SIP
doesn't acknowledge that it happened through R.A.M.
conversations--they attribute it to Matt Litts in their shop, who
simply mailed you the review galleys.

They bring new meaning to the concept of a "non-profit" corporation.

Ed Rasimus

Ed,

I've found out about your book in this NG, and ordered it yesterday in a
local book shop here in Belgium for about 30 euro.
It should arrive in 4 to 6 weeks time and I'm very much looking forward to
it.

Keep up the good work.

Steven
Cave Putoriem