IDAHO FATALITY

Old August 20th 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default IDAHO FATALITY

I heard there was a stall spin on base to final fatality at the recent
Idhao flying get-together. Anyone got any specifics? Tough summer
for gliding!
Old August 20th 11, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 20, 8:41*am, Bob wrote:
I heard there was a stall spin on base to final fatality at the recent
Idhao flying get-together. *Anyone got any specifics? *Tough summer
for gliding!

BG-12b in FAA Friday Preliminary reports.
Old August 20th 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On Aug 20, 10:03*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Aug 20, 8:41*am, Bob wrote:

I heard there was a stall spin on base to final fatality at the recent
Idhao flying get-together. *Anyone got any specifics? *Tough summer
for gliding!

BG-12b in FAA Friday Preliminary reports.

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/acc...a/B_0819_N.txt

While looking for it, I saw this one

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...15X11650&key=1

The rudder waggle does not mean "release now." How terribly sad

John Cochrane
Old August 20th 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On 8/20/11 2:00 PM, John Cochrane wrote:
On Aug 20, 10:03 am, Frank wrote:
On Aug 20, 8:41 am, wrote:

I heard there was a stall spin on base to final fatality at the recent
Idhao flying get-together. Anyone got any specifics? Tough summer
for gliding!

BG-12b in FAA Friday Preliminary reports.

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/acc...a/B_0819_N.txt

While looking for it, I saw this one

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...15X11650&key=1

The rudder waggle does not mean "release now." How terribly sad

John Cochrane

Ah I assume then you missed the unending thread from hell here about the
rudder waggle signal that was triggered by that accident.

Darryl
Old August 21st 11, 02:02 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiteley View Post
On Aug 20, 8:41*am, Bob wrote:
I heard there was a stall spin on base to final fatality at the recent
Idhao flying get-together. *Anyone got any specifics? *Tough summer
for gliding!

BG-12b in FAA Friday Preliminary reports.

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 559Y Make/Model: EXP Description: EXP- BRIEGLEB BG-12B GLIDER
Date: 08/18/2011 Time: 2243

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

LOCATION
City: MOORE State: ID Country: US

DESCRIPTION
A GLIDER, AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE 1-PERSON
ONBOARD FATALLY INJURED, MOORE, ID

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 182253Z 21014G22KT10SM CLR 30/M01 A3003

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: BOISE, ID (NM11) Entry date: 08/19/2011

Having read the final report on an accident where I fly I no longer have much faith in the outcome of these investigations.

Walt
Old August 21st 11, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

The rudder waggle does not mean "release now." How terribly sad

John Cochrane

If radios were required by that club or FBO and a com-check had been
performed before takeoff, the tragic sequence of events would have
been stopped with a simple, "Close your spoilers" call from the tow
pilot. All the clubs & FBO's in region 11 have got the word, but it
took 4 preventable fatalities to do it. When is the SSA going to get
the word?
JJ Sinclair

Date: 08/18/2011 Time: 2243

[...]

Nor - I've little doubt - do most interested readers of the NTSB database. My
working conclusion is, historically the vast majority of NTSB glider
investigations state the obvious, while lacking any ability to place the
obvious into any sensible context. Donning my Great Karnak hat, this
fatality's Probable Cause will likely read: Failure to maintain airspeed and
control for unknown reasons.

And at that, my supposition may well err on the wide of 'too much
context'...time will tell.

However, savvy NTSB-database-reading glider pilots can still make their own
inferential, context-based conclusions from NTSB data. In fact, they *should*
do so, if they're interested in maximizing their chances of not eventually
becoming a read-about incident or accident in the database.

Bob W.

Date: 08/18/2011 * * Time: 2243

[...]

Precisely, and this is why we should encourage speculation rather than
'wait for the NTSB report'.
And I'll start by saying that from a second hand report this was a
spin of the top of a (not so) high speed pass.
I for one will think twice before attempting a high speed low pass
again especially if i am not 100% sure I'll be able to build enough
speed.
This had been another terrible year for glider accidents and it is
tragic to loose so many but we should all try to learn as much as
possible from every accident to increase our safety.

Ramy

Date: 08/18/2011 * * Time: 2243

[...]

Ramy- Hide quoted text -

I was there and Ramy is right. Why he had done the pass is the big
mystery.

He may have ben low coming in and didn't want to do a downwind landing
in 10-12k winds.

We may never know, but it is a tragedy, and my or may not have been
preventable.

Let's fly safe out there.

BTW, I completely agree with using the RADIO to convey information vs.
the old-fashioned and ambigous waggle signals, and won't fly at an
airport that doesn't have radios in the tow planes.

Wayne
Old August 21st 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

On Aug 21, 6:07*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
The rudder waggle does not mean "release now." How terribly sad

John Cochrane

If radios were required by that club or FBO and a com-check had been
performed before takeoff, the tragic sequence of events would have
been stopped with a simple, "Close your spoilers" call from the tow
pilot. All the clubs & FBO's in region 11 have got the word, but it
took 4 preventable fatalities to do it. When is the SSA going to get
the word?
JJ Sinclair

I for one know and understand the SSA signals on tow. However one must
be a realist and accept the fact of human nature as such, that not
everyone else does or maybe remembers. Therefore it would be wise to
continue using the signals on tow only as an alternate means of
communication to radio. 6PK