Any IPAD App designers out there?

Old September 18th 11, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

Default Any IPAD App designers out there?

It sure would be nice to have an IPAD app to keep track of glider
times on the flight line. Maybe a clock at the top with the ability
to log launch and landing times for multiple gliders and pilots
simultaneously while showing elapsed time in the air for each flight
etc.... Sure would beat our clip board method. Especially if you
could download and print daily reports. Any one willing to take up
the challenge? I have never designed an app but it looks like it
would be fun and fairly simple.
Old September 19th 11, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

On Sep 18, 3:15*pm, lanebush wrote:
It sure would be nice to have an IPAD app to keep track of glider
times on the flight line. *Maybe a clock at the top with the ability
to log launch and landing times for multiple gliders and pilots
simultaneously while showing elapsed time in the air for each flight
etc.... *Sure would beat our clip board method. *Especially if you
could download and print daily reports. *Any one willing to take up
the challenge? *I have never designed an app but it looks like it
would be fun and fairly simple.

I could write this... been writing iPhone apps for the past couple of
years. Only problem for me is that my iPad is just too big for the
cockpit. Could I write it as an iPhone app which runs on the iPad

Old September 19th 11, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Sep 18, 11:22*pm, tstock wrote:
On Sep 18, 3:15*pm, lanebush wrote:

It sure would be nice to have an IPAD app to keep track of glider
times on the flight line. *Maybe a clock at the top with the ability
to log launch and landing times for multiple gliders and pilots
simultaneously while showing elapsed time in the air for each flight
etc.... *Sure would beat our clip board method. *Especially if you
could download and print daily reports. *Any one willing to take up
the challenge? *I have never designed an app but it looks like it
would be fun and fairly simple.

I could write this... been writing iPhone apps for the past couple of
years. *Only problem for me is that my iPad is just too big for the
cockpit. Could I write it as an iPhone app which runs on the iPad

I was thinking it would be an app for the glider ops team to use on
the ground. The purpose would be to keep track of the time aloft of
each glider/pilot combo and at the end of the day download to the club
computer for billing and permanent record purposes. I was thinking
the personnel would have a drop down menu allowing a choice of a
glider, then a drop down menu allowing a choice of a pilot, others for
the tow pilot and tow plane. Then you would click "takeoff" when they
land you would click "landed" and the app would compute an elapsed
time aloft and store the record. There should be a feature where up
to a dozen records could be running simultaneously for multiple
launches. It would be great if you could design such an app. One of
the SSA regional directors called me today and said that the SSA has
been trying to get someone to develop such an app but it has yet to
come to fruition. If you would like to bounce ideas around please
send me a pm and we can talk.

Lane
Old September 19th 11, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

lanebush wrote:
I was thinking it would be an app for the glider ops team to use on
the ground. The purpose would be to keep track of the time aloft of
each glider/pilot combo and at the end of the day download to the club
computer for billing and permanent record purposes. I was thinking
the personnel would have a drop down menu allowing a choice of a
glider, then a drop down menu allowing a choice of a pilot, others for
the tow pilot and tow plane. Then you would click "takeoff" when they
land you would click "landed" and the app would compute an elapsed
time aloft and store the record.

XCSoar will have that based on FLARM: at my airfield, we have built a
FLARM ground station with a PDA running XCSoar; it helps flight
instructors with supervising solo flights. We're planning to add
takeoff/landing detection for nearby traffic.

XCSoar runs on Windows, Windows CE/Mobile, Mac OS X, Linux and
Android, but not iOS (iPad, iPhone).

Max
Old September 19th 11, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

One of the members of my club wrote just such an application for us,
and it's been working great for the last two years. There's a drop
down list for members, plane, and tow pilot, and when the plane takes
off you simply push a big green button. When it lands you push a big
red button, and the flight time is filled in. The pilot uses a drop
down list after he lands to inform the system of his tow altitude. The
data feeds into our billing system, so there's no more need to
decipher illegible scrawls on paper logs.

The only thing that doesn't meet your request is that this application
runs under Windows. I've alerted the author to this thread, and he may
chime in.

-John
Old September 19th 11, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I could write this... been writing iPhone apps for the past couple of
years. *Only problem for me is that my iPad is just too big for the
cockpit. Could I write it as an iPhone app which runs on the iPad

You could run an iPhone app on the ipad. Just push the 2x button
Old September 20th 11, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Sep 19, 8:09*am, jcarlyle wrote:
One of the members of my club wrote just such an application for us,
and it's been working great for the last two years. There's a drop
down list for members, plane, and tow pilot, and when the plane takes
off you simply push a big green button. When it lands you push a big
red button, and the flight time is filled in. The pilot uses a drop
down list after he lands to inform the system of his tow altitude. The
data feeds into our billing system, so there's no more need to
decipher illegible scrawls on paper logs.

The only thing that doesn't meet your request is that this application
runs under Windows. I've alerted the author to this thread, and he may
chime in.

-John

Windows based would work for us. Any chance we can get a copy of the
program?

Lane
Rose City Soaring Association, LLC
Old September 20th 11, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Jansen

On Sep 19, 5:15*am, lanebush wrote:
It sure would be nice to have an IPAD app to keep track of glider
times on the flight line. *Maybe a clock at the top with the ability
to log launch and landing times for multiple gliders and pilots
simultaneously while showing elapsed time in the air for each flight
etc.... *Sure would beat our clip board method. *Especially if you
could download and print daily reports. *Any one willing to take up
the challenge? *I have never designed an app but it looks like it
would be fun and fairly simple.

Try this

http://dittolog.com/
Old September 20th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I run a software development firm which specializes in simulation, development, integration and full lifecycle maintenance of mobile and tablet bases apps. We have nearly 100 clients ranging from Fandango to very small start ups and high school projects (most are larger corporations, etc). Would not be "free" but could work with you. Im a fellow glider pilot if course.
Sean Fidler
VP, Global Business Development, RIIS
248.977.7911

Old September 20th 11, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

XC soar is amazing Max and team! Kudos!

iPhone or iPad VFR GPS A L Instrument Flight Rules 3 January 17th 11 11:56 AM
iPhone or iPad VFR GPS A L Piloting 2 December 23rd 10 03:49 AM
Diana 2 designers are sure to reach 52:1 Janusz Kesik Soaring 12 January 21st 05 06:06 AM
Northrop/MDA ATF-23 team leaders&designers Gregory Omelchenko Military Aviation 0 May 10th 04 02:39 AM