Nice FLARM antenna mount in ASG-29

Old April 5th 13, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Nice FLARM antenna mount in ASG-29

Easy to make and use, works well, see the update I posted he
http://powerflarm.us/powerflarm-installation-notes/

Enjoy,
Best Regards, Dave
Old April 6th 13, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, April 5, 2013 3:42:45 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
Easy to make and use, works well, see the update I posted he http://powerflarm.us/powerflarm-installation-notes/ Enjoy, Best Regards, Dave

Quite a bit nicer and cleaner antenna installations at:

http://www.craggyaero.com/cables_&_antennas.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 6th 13, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Discusflyer[_2_]

HI Richard,
That looks clean... it doesn't look like the dipole that comes with the
brick either...
1-what antenna is it?
2-how is it mounted under the covers? on plastic frame?

Any difference between it and the dipole?

Stephen S9

Old April 6th 13, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Sorry, but I wouldn't call any of the installations in these photos "nice". not even close. Effective yes, but nice? I am glad I don't have carbon in my nose and can get 4 miles average range according to Flarm range analyzer by mounting the antenna in the nose of my 27a. Otherwise I would have looked for other antenna solutions than the dipole solutions shown in these photos.
Even with the dipole, I bet sufficient range can be archived by hiding half of it below the glare shield.

Ramy
Old April 6th 13, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Ramy,

That's exactly what I've thought. I would have put my Flarm antenna in the nose of my glider like you did except that space was already occupied by a transponder antenna. So, last fall I embarked on designing and modelling a dipole like antenna that is constructed of thin spring wire (visually unobstructive). It has a 4 element wire counterpoise that lives below the glare shield with a single vertical element above the glare shield. I'm using a small breakaway coaxial antenna which also comprises the mounting through the glareshield. I'm planning to attend the Perry contest so I should get data on how well it performs there.

I had in mind that I might manufacture this antenna as a commercial endeavor. However, when I disclosed the design to Flarm they had certain objections. The objection that I couldn't dismiss was that the Flarm radio circuit can be damaged by static discharge and the thin exposed element would increase that suseptibility.

Old April 6th 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, April 5, 2013 6:41:15 PM UTC-7, Sam Discusflyer wrote:
HI Richard, That looks clean... it doesn't look like the dipole that comes with the brick either... 1-what antenna is it? 2-how is it mounted under the covers? on plastic frame? Any difference between it and the dipole? Stephen S9

Sam,

Three PowerFlarm antennas are shown:

http://www.craggyaero.com/cables_&_antennas.htm

All antennas fit to the panel cover with a bulkhead fitting then the antennas screw on to the fitting.

500103 1/4 wave rubber duck 3.4" with 6" ground plane 2' cable
500101 1/2 wave dipole 5" no ground plane required 2' cable
500102 1/2 wave rubber duck 2.3" with 6" ground plane 2' cable

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old April 6th 13, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Agree with Ramy.
Using the same method - documented by Peter Kelly - in the nose of the 27.. But looking for a good combination for antenna #2. Perhaps another dipole like in Pete Alexander's 29. Only one pole is visible above the glare shield and it just sits in a grommet which would let go in an emergency.
Jim
Old April 6th 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/6/2013 7:10 AM, Steve Koerner wrote:
[...]

Perhaps a small ball on the end like a transponder antenna? Or is it the
exposed wire that is the problem? The "classic" Flarm seems to have a
plain wire antenna with a small button on top.

email me)