Pic of the Airgizmo installation

Old December 1st 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Pic of the Airgizmo installation

http://masl.to/?W27812C4E

A short explanation is he
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2006_ai...xm_install.htm

Adding this thing is a terrific, affordable mod that really cleans up
the cockpit. If you've got the panel space, I highly recommend it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 1st 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

So Jay, can the pilot see and operate the 496 OK when it is mounted on the
copilots side of the panel? I have an ADF there that I wouldn't mind
getting rid of, but I thought mounting the Gizmo with angle adapter on the
copilots side might be awkward.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old December 1st 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

So Jay, can the pilot see and operate the 496 OK when it is mounted on the
copilots side of the panel? I have an ADF there that I wouldn't mind
getting rid of, but I thought mounting the Gizmo with angle adapter on the
copilots side might be awkward.

Yes! It's easily readable (even for a dinky screen -- but then you
know my opinion of the Garmin screen size) and reachable from the
pilot's side, thanks to that angle bracket.

This is especially true for me, since I sit with the seat back a bit.
Mary, who flies with the seat all the way forward (plus a pillow)
doesn't have *quite* as good a view from the pilot's side, but she's
had no complaints thus far.

I got rid of an old Narco DME to make room, and gained 5 pounds of
useful load. (And the shop gave me a $150 credit for it...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 1st 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Just had to get the "Best 235" award in there didn't you?

Heck, yeah!

Although I do feel kinda bad that we've sorta let Atlas go this year,
cosmetically. As you can see by the pic, there's some touch-up
painting I should be doing on the panel.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 2nd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article ,
"Mike Noel" wrote:

So Jay, can the pilot see and operate the 496 OK when it is mounted on the
copilots side of the panel? I have an ADF there that I wouldn't mind
getting rid of, but I thought mounting the Gizmo with angle adapter on the
copilots side might be awkward.

Left seat pilot flying does not get to operate the device unless flying
solo.
Old December 2nd 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I got rid of an old Narco DME to make room, and gained 5 pounds of
useful load.

You keep that close an eye on the useful on Atlas?

Sheesh!

:-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old December 2nd 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

A short explanation is he
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2006_ai...xm_install.htm

Adding this thing is a terrific, affordable mod that really cleans up
the cockpit. If you've got the panel space, I highly recommend it.

Looks good, Jay. Thanks.

BTW, did they do this with just a log book entry? I assume you didn't go for a field approval on this.
Correct?

Mike
Old December 2nd 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

BTW, did they do this with just a log book entry? I assume you didn't go for a field approval on this.
Correct?

I was afraid you'd ask that....

Yes, the shop in Waterloo did it with a log-book entry, with the
blessing of the Des Moines FSDO.

The other shop I contacted (in Galesburg, IL) was adamant that they
could NOT install it without field approval from a different FSDO.
Needless to say, they didn't get my business.

I hate how anal some FAA people get. The AirGizmo is a piece of plastic
that allows my GPS to snap in place, holding it securely, no different
than a yoke mount (and probably safer). Why, just because it's
mounted on the panel, anyone thinks it's a "major modification" is just
beyond me. Thankfully, the Des Moine FSDO guys are apparently blessed
with superior powers of common sense.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: Shop around. Not all FSDOs (or
shops) are created equal.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 2nd 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

I spent some time with an A&P friend last night and noticed an AirGizmo on
his desk. I relayed Jay's story and he said that after dozens of phone
calls and non-committal answers he was finally able to confirm that the
Milwaukee FSDO is ok with a log book entry but Minneapolis was sticking to a
field approval.

My A&P's answer to my question about the lack of conformity was based around
the current "no new hires" policy at some of the smaller FSDO's. With
Inspectors retiring or moving out, some of them are not getting replaced.
The smaller staffs are starting to take a closer look at it's ability to
retain it's "annality". Of course I'm sure that it also has something to do
with the A&P's ability to sell the FSDO on the point of it not being a major
repair, using the FAA's own AC's and definitions as proof.
Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: AirGizmo PIREP, PS Engineering CD/Intercom woes, XM "service" Jay Honeck Owning 34 December 15th 06 03:02 AM
US ELT Installation mhr Soaring 57 December 31st 05 07:39 PM
magneto installation help Dick Home Built 5 February 10th 05 03:02 PM
Skycraft Landing Light Installation Pix Jay Honeck Owning 5 February 6th 05 02:05 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM