ADS-B Compliance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 2nd 16, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default ADS-B Compliance

I confirmed with the FAA recently what others have said here befo after 1/1/2020 glider flight at altitudes 10,000 ft and above AND above 2,500 ft AGL WILL require ADS-B out. The only good news that I got is that the FAA is actively looking at low-cost, low-power GPS sources for the GPS part of ADS-B out. This is probably because Amazon is promoting package delivery by drones, but who knows for sure.

Flying in the high desert West will effectively be grounded w/o ADS-B out compliance after 1/1/2020. I already have a Mode-S ES (extended squitter) transponder (Trig TT-21), but have struggled to find a suitable certified GPS.. Yes, there are units out there, but there size would choke an elephant! Typically, they are 5.5" x 6.5" x 2.3" (give or take half an inch). I don't know about the rest of you, but fitting a monster like that into my panel just ain't happening.

Does anybody know of a smaller solution?

Thanks,

Tom