Liberals Ignore The Wright Brothers

Old December 12th 03, 11:47 AM
Cub Driver

I watched "Master and Commander" the other night and fantasized about how
magical sailing and sailing ships must have been in previous centuries.

After you've been shanghaied, lashed by the cat o' nine tails, fed on
weevils and biscuits, sent aloft in a gale, sodomized by the bosun,
and had your teeth fall out from scurvy, precious little of that magic
remains.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 12th 03, 11:49 AM
Cub Driver

Flying has become routine of course as far as airlines. Also its
very hard to see out of the window,

You just made the day for the marketing folks at Boeing. One of their
Eureka! moments was to make the windows larger on the 7E7.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 12th 03, 02:10 PM
Jay Honeck

After you've been shanghaied, lashed by the cat o' nine tails, fed on
weevils and biscuits, sent aloft in a gale, sodomized by the bosun,
and had your teeth fall out from scurvy, precious little of that magic
remains.

My thoughts, exactly.

There was very little "magic" in any human endeavor, prior to the 20th
century, unless you were wealthy.

And there was certainly not any to be found as a ship's mate, from
everything I've read.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 03, 03:01 PM
Maule Driver

Life on land may not have been all that much more magical for the common
person. Life tended to be brutal and short for most - city or countryside.
You were either steering or being ground up by the wheels - and most people
were simply fodder for the few.

Speaking of movies, I was dragged out to see the "Last Samurai". Can't
really recommend it except as escapist, fantasy violence. But I can
recommend a related book, James Bradley's "Flyboys" "A true story of
courage". Related? The book starts with a sweeping historical look at
Samurai culture and fuedal Japan which it then brings into the 20th Century
and WWII. Bush senior is one of the flyboys that is shot down. A very
detailed and seemingly well researched account of what happened to Dive
bomber pilots shot down at an island next to Iwo Jima. Great battlefield
account with a lot of stuff you've never read before and a surprising
ending.

Great book. Made the "Last Samurai" viewing worth it.... almost.

Old December 12th 03, 03:29 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Maule Driver wrote:

But I can recommend a related book, James Bradley's "Flyboys" "A true story of
courage".

I thought it was great except for two glaring errors. In one sentence he talks
about the tendency of the big radials to "stall without warning" and in another
he talks about the WWII carrier decks being very dangerous places with whirling
props,..., jet fuel,... Jet fuel? In 1943?

Those errors make me wonder about some of the other facts he presents. The book
does contain an excellent bibliography, however, so I don't think he's made
anything up, and I hope to find time to check out some of his references.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 12th 03, 04:10 PM
Mutts

"After you've been shanghaied, lashed by the cat o' nine tails, fed
on
weevils and biscuits, sent aloft in a gale, sodomized by the bosun,
and had your teeth fall out from scurvy, precious little of that magic
remains."

And the FAA is any different??? :P

Some things are worth it.
You could get to see things no other human had seen yet.
I guess it depends what ships you were on and wether it
was by choice!
James Cook and the HMS Endeavour, vessels of discovery
sounds pretty cool. Werent everybodys teeth falling out back
then anyways? Cook didnt survive his last voyage if I recall.

Oh boy look out.....Must post Capt. Kirk quotes. Cant... resist,
must.......post......the captain!

"but I must point out that the possibilities, the potential for
knowledge and advancement is equally great. Risk. Risk is our
business. That's what this starship is all about. That's why we're
aboard her."
-- Captain James T. Kirk,

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old December 12th 03, 04:35 PM
rip

Mutts wrote:
[...]

Which brings up the question of "what's the most dangerous job in the
galaxy?"
Answer: Having a non-speaking role on a Star Trek "away-team".

Old December 12th 03, 05:09 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Wizard of Draws wrote:
But now? Hundreds of tons of metal suspended miles above the earth with
nothing to hold it up? Traveling at speeds faster than the earth can
rotate beneath it?

Well, until a couple of weeks ago that happened, but then Concorde was
retired. I don't think any other supersonic aircraft weighs as much as
Concorde.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old December 12th 03, 05:11 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Cub Driver wrote:
After you've been shanghaied, lashed by the cat o' nine tails, fed on
weevils and biscuits, sent aloft in a gale, sodomized by the bosun,
and had your teeth fall out from scurvy, precious little of that magic
remains.

I always thought it amusing that a supposedly insulting term for the
British is "Limey", when it actually reflects smartness - the vitamin C
that prevented British sailors from suffering from scurvy.

Old December 12th 03, 05:43 PM
John T

"rip" wrote in message
om

Which brings up the question of "what's the most dangerous job in the
galaxy?"
Answer: Having a non-speaking role on a Star Trek "away-team".

Career advice: Don't wear a red shirt on a Star Trek set.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer