Handheld Transcievers

Old March 7th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Handheld Transcievers

We are considering going into the handheld radio market as a sideline to
RST. We evaluated by both specification AND hands-on and IF we go it will
be with Vertex.

I've had a personal VXA-700 for about three years now and I wouldn't trade
it for anything. That LiON battery is a real workhorse.

Jim

"Blueskies" wrote in message

My Vertex Pilot 210 is wonderful, 5x5 every time, rugged and water proof.
The batteries last (NiMH) a long time also.
Just another data point.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tjd

Well, better late than never, right? I finally got around to playing
with this and what I said was wrong, Ron was closer to right (although
he may well be correct for the IC-A5, I have an IC-A24). Here's what
I found:

- The PTT switch on the radio only opens the built-in mic on the radio
- The external PTT switch only opens the external (headset) mic.

Pretty simple, right? I was initially fooled into thinking my headset
mic was live when pressing the radio PTT switch when it was actually
the radio mic picking up my voice. This time I was a bit more
rigorous about my experiments and also used an external PTT.

So, you do pretty much need an external PTT if you're planning to use
a headset... why don't they just include it?

todd.

PS: while my plane was in getting some avionics work done I had them
install a connector to let me hook the handheld up to the external
antenna... looking forward to doing some comparisons vs. the whip
antenna.

On Mar 6, 4:02 pm, "tjd" wrote:
On Mar 6, 2:10 am, Ron Wanttaja wrote:

Hmmmm. I was fiddling with an ICOM IC-A5 a while back. I found that when you
used the radio-mounted PTT switch, *both* microphones were live...the one in the
headset, and the one on the radio itself. With the external PTT switch, only
the headset microphone was live.

that's an interesting point, I didn't check that in my test, but
opening both mics would make it a lot harder to xmit cleanly. I will
give it a try when I get home, plus it looks trivial to make your own
external PTT switch so I'll try that too.

Old May 2nd 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

tjd wrote:

PS: while my plane was in getting some avionics work done I had them
install a connector to let me hook the handheld up to the external
antenna... looking forward to doing some comparisons vs. the whip
antenna.

I think you'll be impressed. In my Cherokee, the external antenna is the
difference between being heard from 4 miles away, and being heard 40 miles
away.

It won't do anything for the nav funtion. It'll still wobble without a
horizontally polarized external antenna. When I replaced my old KX-99
handheld navcom, I just bought the IC-A6. Same as the -A24, but without the
nav band.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

which handheld gps? houstondan Piloting 28 January 28th 05 10:38 AM
GPS Handheld Kai Glaesner Instrument Flight Rules 2 November 16th 04 04:01 PM
Handheld PC Toks Desalu Piloting 19 May 15th 04 01:52 PM
Q:VXA-210 Handheld Frank Ivo Streckebein Owning 8 February 20th 04 08:54 PM
Q:VXA-210 Handheld Frank Ivo Streckebein Products 8 February 20th 04 08:54 PM