OT - How do search engines work?

Old November 27th 03, 12:19 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

This whole thing is so stupid. 95+% of the hotels located in Iowa City are
NOT coming up when you type in "Iowa City Hotels"!

Are you literally typing in "Iowa City Hotels", complete with quotes? Are you
typing in Iowa City Hotels with no quotes? The first will get you a listing of
only those sites that have something very close to "Iowa City Hotels" somewhere
on the site; you're searching for the string. The second would get you a listing
of sites that have the word Iowa, the word City, or the word Hotels. The more
of these words they have, the higher in the list they are. If you type in +Iowa
+City +Hotels, you'll get a list of all web pages that have all three words on
the page.

None of these is likely to be what you want. No search engine is going to do
what I think you want.

If I want to find hotels in a city, I will either use the Yahoo menus to get a
list of hotels in that city, or I will use the Maps feature of Yahoo to get a
map of the town and pick out hotels from the "nearest business" feature menus.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can
be learned no other way.
Old November 27th 03, 01:49 AM
Pat Thronson

Let's not start Google-beater pilots now, ok?
Pat Thronson ( also "Google desk bar" comes in handy)

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

When I type in "Iowa City Airport" at the Yahoo search screen, our

"History
of the Iowa City Airport" webpage pops up second on the list -- which is

all
well and fine.

Google rules. Google is God. All else is a pale imitation of Google.

Google works this way: the more sites link to yours, the higher your
rating is. The higher a site's rating is, the more credit you get for
its being linked to you.

This works far better than even the guy who dreamed it up could have
hoped or expected or dreamed. It works wonderfully well. It is Adam
Smith's Invisible Hand turned loose on information.

If you don't have a Google tool-bar installed on your browser, your
life is slower, more complicated, and less rewarding than it might
otherwise be.

Besides, Google has the simplest, most elegant home page on the web.
It consists of 38 words. Go look: www.google.com

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old November 27th 03, 04:41 AM
Jay Honeck

My system suppresses them, so I don't know if it has them or not. I
was pretty sure that Yahoo was awash in them, or is that not correct???

I see no pop-ups when I open Yahoo.com.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 27th 03, 11:35 AM
Bush

Google? Yuporamma! Waste all day in Google, or save time with Excite.

Have a great one!

Bush

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:18:12 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

When I type in "Iowa City Airport" at the Yahoo search screen, our "History
of the Iowa City Airport" webpage pops up second on the list -- which is all
well and fine.

When I type in "Iowa City Hotels" at the Yahoo search screen, however, our
hotel website doesn't appear at all. Well, maybe it's five pages in, but
who's going to bother to look there?

I've studied meta tags, and key words, and I believe I've got things set up
properly for the "robots" to see -- yet the stupid "Weather Underground" and
"Sheraton" sites pops up ahead of our hotel. (And they don't even appear to
be using meta tags...)

Old November 27th 03, 02:21 PM
Richard Hertz

The search engines are run by some christian fundamentalists and know if you
have been naughty or nice. Clearly after the last thread you started about
bible smackers they are ****ed.

Old November 27th 03, 04:48 PM
Montblack

Marty, Marty, Marty

My new sig line. Thank you.

BTW, what does SCNR stand for? :-)

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

("Martin Hotze" wrote)

short answer? -- http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

SCNR. (*hehe*)

Old November 27th 03, 05:11 PM
Gene Seibel

I personally have a page with all the search engines and if one
doesn't get me what I want I go to another.
http://pad39a.com/engines.html But if most people are using Google,
it's most important for his listing to show up on Google.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old November 27th 03, 05:18 PM
Jay Honeck

Well, it beats having Satan ****ed at me, I guess. ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 27th 03, 05:38 PM
Edward Todd

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
When I type in "Iowa City Airport" at the Yahoo search screen, our

Jay .... go to this page:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__S...City/Travel_an
d_Transportation/

At the top right you will see a link "Suggest A Site".

Click it and have your credit card ready. Yahoo and Google are like the
yellow pages. Want to play ... have to pay.

Edward
Old November 27th 03, 06:03 PM
Jay Honeck

Edward,

Jay .... go to this page:

I went where you suggested, and found this in the "fine print":

*****
2.4 The current fee for Yahoo! Express for initial consideration in the
Directory is a NON-REFUNDABLE fee of US $299.00 applicable for each web site
submitted that does not include adult content and/or services. You
acknowledge that the payment of this fee is for consideration of your site
AND DOES NOT IN ANY WAY GUARANTEE THAT YOUR SITE WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE
DIRECTORY. Your payment only guarantees that Yahoo! will consider and
respond to your request within seven business days, by either accepting or
not accepting your site
*****

What kind of fool would agree to pay Yahoo, when this is all they offer?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA