"Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

Old November 20th 05, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

All of my vehicles at work are equipped with FM radios. One afternoon my
secretary had done something particularly annoying and I was complaining (to
put it mildly) about it to my assistant while we were driving down the road.
My cell phone rang and it was one of my other employees informing me that
the entire company could hear my rant. I told him that he was nuts because
I could hear others transmitting on the radio. In fact, this radio was
transmitting and receiving at the same time. Radio went into the shop and
the radio techs could not explain it. Radio went in the trash after that.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I hear this ONE more time on Unicom, I'm going to scream!

Is it *really* possible that one can be a certificated pilot, and *NOT*
know that it's impossible to receive AND transmit at the same time?

Is it *really* possible that a certicated pilot would transmit a
statement like this into the ether, expecting the guy with the stuck
mike to actually be able to HEAR what he's saying?

Sadly, the answer is "yes". We hear it almost every time there's a
stuck-mike situation.

Truly scary...

I'll take a hundred guys saying "Any other traffic, please advise..."
over THIS kind of stupidity.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 20th 05, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

MOST traffic?

"George Patterson" wrote in message

In addition, most traffic
entering a class-B is likely to be ..... already talking to
ATC.

George Patterson
If a tank is out of ammunition, what you have is a sixty ton

portable
radio.

Old November 20th 05, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All of my vehicles at work are equipped with FM radios. One afternoon my
secretary had done something particularly annoying and I was complaining
(to put it mildly) about it to my assistant while we were driving down the
road. My cell phone rang and it was one of my other employees informing me
that the entire company could hear my rant. I told him that he was nuts
because I could hear others transmitting on the radio. In fact, this
radio was transmitting and receiving at the same time. Radio went into
the shop and the radio techs could not explain it. Radio went in the
trash after that.

To heck with the radio -- what happened to the secretary?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 20th 05, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
I remember one stuck-mike over Grinnell, IA. The guy was flying with two
other aircraft, and didn't know his mike was hot. He proceeded to
absolutely shred his "buddies" landing technique to his co-pilot, from high
above in the pattern, live on 122.8.

I remember a stuck mike on Ottawa Terminal where an obvious instructor
type was telling his student "this is unusual, normally this frequency
isn't this quiet". And yet they didn't figure it out for the 10 minutes I
was on the frequency.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
....if Paul's really talking about truly average people, then they'd probably
Old November 20th 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Michael Ware wrote:
MOST traffic?

Yes, most will be IFR.

Old November 20th 05, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dale wrote:

What I wonder is why the guy with the stuck mike doesn't realize it.
When you are no longer hearing radio traffic something is wrong. G

Many people keep the radio turned down unless they need to listen to something.
Flying around New Jersey for an hour while listening to all the squeals and
stepped-on conversations is torture.

Old November 20th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Michael Ware wrote:
Kinda sounded like 'most will be talking to ATC'. IFR or VFR they will be
handled the same as far as comm. goes.

If they're VFR, they almost certainly will *not* be talking to ATC before trying
to contact the class-B controller.

Old November 20th 05, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is silly, but many can't resist. Some radios have a small indicator
that shows when they are transmitting, but a big red light would be
nice. I had one stick many years ago on an old Genave radio.
Fourtunately, I was leaving the traffic area so it probably didn't
bother anyone for long. I noticed after about ten minutes, but by then
the output transistor had died and it wasn't working anyway. Some 2-way
radios we used in broadcasting had timers that shut them down after 5
minutes because they weren't designed for full time duty cycle. That
wouldn't be a bad idea either.
--
Gene Seibel
Confessions of a Pilot - http://pad39a.com/publishing/

Old November 20th 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:

Why not?

Why should they be? It was certainly not my practice.

RIP Mike Valentine Mal Soaring 0 December 11th 04 08:27 PM
Changes in Instrument Proficiency Check Requirements Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 71 June 10th 04 08:02 PM
Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14? Guy Alcala Military Aviation 265 March 7th 04 09:28 AM
Radio silence, Market Garden and death at Arnhem ArtKramr Military Aviation 4 February 12th 04 12:05 AM
Use of hand-held GPS on FAA check ride Barry Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 09:25 PM