Flight plans lost?

Old June 21st 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Flight plans lost?

Have had a great flying month, with nearly 40 hours flying the Baron from
Wisconsin to Portland, OR, and then on separate trips east to New York, and
then Vermont.

The plane has run great- not needing a quart of oil in either engine for
over 40 hours! Encountered ice, thunderstorms, and mountain flying- what a
great experience.

However, my flight plans seem to be getting lost in the system. I've filed
them from Voyager (a great program, but slow), as well as Jeppesen
Flightstar.

The software says that the flightplan has been accepted, but when calling
up, there's nothing to be found. It happens around 50% of the time (ever try
to air file with New York Center?)

Anyone else seen similar behavior? Is it a problem with Voyager, or is the
FAA system screwed up worse than usual?

Old June 21st 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Viperdoc wrote:

Anyone else seen similar behavior? Is it a problem with Voyager, or is the
FAA system screwed up worse than usual?

Can't vouch for Voyager, but I rarely lose a plan filed with the CSC
DUAT. The major issue in losing any plan is:

Wrong P-Time (screw up the local to GMT conversion or whatever)
Point of departure not one that routes to the controller you're
talking to.

Old June 21st 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

I pretty sure Voyager just translates and sends through the normal DUAT
services (either). The program supposedly translates the times to GMT, since
the printout looks like a normal flight plan.

Thinking about it, it seems like the Voyager plans are hit or miss, while
I've never had a problem with the Jepp program.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Old June 21st 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-06-21 06:16:03 -0700, "Viperdoc" said:

I pretty sure Voyager just translates and sends through the normal DUAT
services (either). The program supposedly translates the times to GMT, since
the printout looks like a normal flight plan.

Thinking about it, it seems like the Voyager plans are hit or miss, while
I've never had a problem with the Jepp program.

Actually, I have had problems with FliteStar in the past, but it was
several years ago. I asked Oakland tower about it and they mumbled
something about how if you file through DUATS it goes through some kind
of central processing system and it is very hard to modify (easier to
just file a whole new flight plan) and sometimes they don't get it at
all. Whereas, if you file locally they have access to the whole thing.
I cannot say that I understood the explanation.

Now that things are getting a little more settled and I have time to
shop for a plane (I am thinking a new Skyhawk) I am going to have to
consider my flight planning options. FliteStar won't run on OS X or
Vista, so I would have to use an old computer. Jeppesen seems to have a
hard time keeping up with the technology.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old June 21st 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 6/21/2007 9:15:59 AM, "Viperdoc" wrote:

I've never had a problem with the Jepp program.

As an active IFR pilot who uses Jepp's Flightstar to file just about all of
my IFR plans over the last four years, I have never had an issue of a lost
flight plan filed via Jepp and ultimately CSC/DTC Duats that wasn't my fault
(departure time more than 1/2 hour earlier than the time I call clearance).

--
Peter
Old June 21st 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 6/21/2007 10:00:54 AM, "Peter R." wrote:

(departure time more than 1/2 hour earlier than the time I call
clearance).

Typo correction: "departure time more than 1/2 hour *LATER* than then
time..."

--
Peter
Old June 21st 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 6/21/2007 10:00:54 AM, "Peter R." wrote:

(departure time more than 1/2 hour earlier than the time I call
clearance).

Typo correction: "departure time more than 1/2 hour *LATER* than then
time..."

{Third time's the charm}

....than THE time...

Old June 21st 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 21, 7:31 am, C J Campbell
wrote:
On 2007-06-21 06:16:03 -0700, "Viperdoc" said:

[...]

Hi CJ,

AirPlan runs under Vista... have you tried it?

Dean

Old June 21st 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hilton

Ron,

I never do the time conversion, I use "+0300" (for example) which means
three hours from now.

Hope this helps,

Hilton

Old June 22nd 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]