Connecting Winpilot to LNAV

Old August 10th 05, 10:37 PM
Robin Birch

Default Connecting Winpilot to LNAV

What cabling should be used to connect an LNAV based setup to an iPAQ
running winpilot?

Regards

Robin Birch
--
Robin Birch
Old August 10th 05, 11:08 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

WinPilot can't connect to an L-NAV but it can connect to a GPS-NAV which is
commonly used with an L-NAV. Is that the setup you have?

It is my understanding that WinPilot does not send the GPS initialization
string that is required to tell the GPS-NAV to start sending GPS data when
connected to the GPS-NAV's DB-9 port. That is not a problem because you can
use the RJ connector that sends data to the L-NAV to also send data to
WinPilot. I think that the wiring connections for the RJ connector are
described in the GPS-NAV manual.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old August 10th 05, 11:10 PM
Nick Gilbert

You need to connect the Ipaq to an NMEA source (i.e. a Datalogger or
GPS of some sort). The L-Nav also needs receive NMEA data to display
final glide info.

If you have a Cambridge GPS-Nav, this is quite simple. Otherwise, I'm
sure someone else knows better than i do!

Nick.

Old August 11th 05, 05:43 AM

Robin,

WinPilot ADV can be used with a GPS-NAV. Please see my website for a
GPS14-Kit. It includes a power converter and the cables. The kit
connects you to the serial port of the GPS-NAV. The phone connector
still connects to the L-NAV.
Some say that you can power you ipaq with the GPS-NAV . The problems
with this is that the power converter in the GPS-NAV is not rated to
power an Ipaq and may pop the internal thermal fuse in the GPS-Nav.

To Set WinPilot ADV for the GPS NAV start the WinPilot Sim and go menu
about under hardware select GPS_NAV1. Shut down WinPilot normally to
save the setting. Connect to the GPS-NAV make sure the green light on
the GPS-NAV is blinking (means you have a GPS lock) Start WinPilot if
the Setting page come up this is the correct setting, if not do the
above and select GPS-NAV2. One of these setting will initialize the
GPS NAV.

Please see my website or call if you have additional questions.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old August 29th 05, 03:04 PM
Jim Kelly

On many iPaqs there is a setting to insist on a "slow USB charge
(rate)" (StartSettingsSystemPowerUSB Charging). There is a
chance that this puts less load on the supply circuit and could
avoid blowing fuses.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Old August 30th 05, 05:27 PM
Robin Birch

In message , Jim Kelly
writes
On many iPaqs there is a setting to insist on a "slow USB charge
(rate)" (StartSettingsSystemPowerUSB Charging). There is a
chance that this puts less load on the supply circuit and could
avoid blowing fuses.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Some say that you can power you ipaq with the GPS-NAV . The
problems
with this is that the power converter in the GPS-NAV is not rated
power an Ipaq and may pop the internal thermal fuse in the
GPS-Nav.

Thanks for all of this guys. My chum (whose glider it is) has worked
out what to do and is going to put in a separate power supply for the
PDA.

Cheers

Robin
--