Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen

Old May 13th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Default Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen

Not peer reviewed, but here's something. Note the date.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...836176,00.html

On May 13, 12:28*am, romeomike wrote:
Tina wrote:

* Your (attempted) superior attidude reminds me of

some studies that were done on MD pilots a long time ago, and maybe
JFK Jrs at that time: their attitude of whatever - being superior? --
led to an increased accident rate.

Have a reference for those studies?

Old May 13th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Yeah, and note the dates covered by the study. Only one or two years
(not sure if it's the year 1964 to 1965 or the two tears 1964 and 1965)
extrapolated and generalized to a conclusion. Not only not peer reviewed
but not statistically significant, except possibly for the specific time
mentioned. Why just those months in an article published today, more
than 40 years later.The authors should have been able to gather numbers
from other years to strengthen their conclusions. I have no ax to grind,
just curious whenever I hear these kinds of statements as to where they
come from.

Old May 13th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

As I said initially, my memory is that it was a long time ago. I doubt
it's as true today for MDs, but it is an example of ego overcoming
common sense. That was my initial point, and in the context of this
post, still valid. You asked for a reference, and I gave you one. A
more careful examination may refute it. I would estimate it may
approach statistical significance. It certainly cannot be rebutted
with hand waving.

Old May 13th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

More_Flaps writes:

Many average people could afford to fly from time to time if they
choose to. They just prefer to spend their disposable income on other
things.

What disposable income?
Old May 13th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

He was a licensed pilot.

And you are not.

And he's dead. And I'm not.
Old May 13th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Stefan Hueneburg writes:

First, the MSFS is not a real simulation, its a game ...

Rest assured, it's a real simulation. I know that people with an ax to grind
will insist otherwise for a lifetime, but that doesn't change the reality.
Simulators have come a long way, and the mere fact that a simulator runs on a
PC doesn't make it "unreal."

A Crash within MSFS is just a failure with no consequences.

A crash in every simulator is like that. That's one of the advantages of
simulation.

If you play MSFS regularly, you should know it's limitations.

I do. I've listed them on several occasions.

I just tried you "experiment" and were scared by the low climb rate of
the Cessna in that altitude.

I can't say that I was scared by it, but I found it pretty lame. I was
heading west so there wasn't a lot of terrain to avoid.

Even the real big flight simulators are limited to the input data they
have. And to my knowledge, not much data from unusual flight envelopes
(stalls, spins whatever) is inserted in these things.

That's why they are not used to practice spins. Any pilot who gets himself
into a spin in an airliner made way too many mistakes long before that.
Old May 13th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan Hueneburg[_2_]

Mxsmanic writes:

Simulators have come a long way, and the mere fact that a simulator runs on a
PC doesn't make it "unreal."

It's still a game and not real.

If you play MSFS regularly, you should know it's limitations.

I do. I've listed them on several occasions.

But you don't get the biggest limitation, i guess.

I just tried you "experiment" and were scared by the low climb rate of
the Cessna in that altitude.

I can't say that I was scared by it, but I found it pretty lame. I was
heading west so there wasn't a lot of terrain to avoid.

Well I saw some pretty big hills to my left and right. Luckily, I found
a upwind to get some height to save the simday.

Even the real big flight simulators are limited to the input data they
have. And to my knowledge, not much data from unusual flight envelopes
(stalls, spins whatever) is inserted in these things.

That's why they are not used to practice spins. Any pilot who gets himself
into a spin in an airliner made way too many mistakes long before that.

But you cannot draw any conclusion for the real world from a game with a
simulated environment. Therefore judging actions in the real world from
simulated experience is inappropriate.

cu
Old May 13th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

If you read the article carefully you will note it was NOT published
recently. Also, when 30 MDs are involved in accidents when if
accidents were random across the population the number would have been
a quarter of that is significant.

I think one might conclude certain professions are self selecting for
people with great self assurance and the ego to go with it. As a
matter of interest Mensa members who are not doing well in the general
population seem to exhibit that same ego characteristic: we, the
general population, are at fault for not recognizing and rewarding
their worth. I think, but cannot support the observation, that Anthony
is quite bright, so it's not a surprise that he, as a displaced
American living at the subsistence level in Paris, would have some of
those characteristics.

I'm not sure what drives Max or Bertie, but there seems to be some
pathology there too.