What would you pay?

Old December 10th 05, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What would you pay?

("Dave Stadt" wrote)
We currently pay $.10 per square foot. Even if it doubled it wouldn't be
big deal. Is ANE one of the MSP airports they wanted to close?

No. The talk is of closing Crystal (MIC) ...developers are salivating over
that one.

If Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) airspace is a clock, then ANE is up near 12
o'clock or 12:30 with MIC at 10:30 or 11 o'clock.

MIC ....14 (s) miles from MSP
MIC .... 9 (s) miles from ANE
ANE .. 18 (s) miles from MSP

http://www.mspairport.com/relievers/...l/default.aspx
(MIC) Crystal Airport

http://www.mspairport.com/relievers/...e/default.aspx
(ANE) Anoka County - Blaine Airport

See where the N/S runway at ANE was moved ...up? We'd have a 7,500 ft runway
if it was an addition rather than a relocation. Neighbors in Mounds View, in
the bottom of the pic, were complaining. As it is, 18/36 is currently under
5,000 ft.

The new Minnesota Viking's stadium will be just out of the picture, 2 mile
away, in the upper right hand corner ...if it ever gets built.

Montblack

Old December 10th 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Montblack wrote:

At ANE (Anoka County-Blaine, MN - 20 miles N of M/SP) you build your own
hangar on leased land, just like a trailer "court" ...or mobile home
"park" ...or manufactured housing "village". You know, tornado magnets.

Put whatever you want up on your site, but you still owe rent (lease)
payments on that site each month. Hangars sell from owner to owner. The
leases (land rent) are set to almost double at ANE over the next few years.

That's where I fly in to when I come to town as it's the closest airport
to my folks. What are the going rates if I wanted to buy a hangar?
Old December 11th 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Newps" wrote)
That's where I fly in to when I come to town as it's the closest airport
to my folks. What are the going rates if I wanted to buy a hangar?

70k - 130k for something nice. 40x40 would be on the small side in this
group.

A very nice (newer, insulated, nicely finished, upper office, etc) 60x65?
was for sale this spring for around 169k. I look at the for for-sale signs
when I drive around over there. I've yet to see anything offered for under
60k. Apparently small hangars don't go up for sale often or are snapped up
right away by "insiders". Lake Elmo (21D) east side of the Twin Cities, near
the Wisconsin border, might be cheaper.

If you're only flying in once or twice per month, I suspect another 30-45
minutes (one way) in the car would save you a bundle. Where is your folks
house?

I've heard South St Paul (SGS) is reasonably priced - home of Ballistic
Recovery Systems (BRS). This airport is not part of the MAC reliever airport
system - it's only 8 nautical miles (east) of MSP, and about 5 miles (almost
due south) of Downtown St Paul (STP).

According to AirNav:
(STP) Downtown St Paul ... 7.3 nm to MSP
(STP) Downtown St Paul ....4.8 nm to SGS
(MSP) Mpls/St Paul Int ........8.0 nm to SGS

Montblack

Old December 10th 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
New hangars came available at the airport I fly out of and I
bought two. The rent on one pays for the annual costs for both. 39 T
hangars sold in in about two weeks.

How does that work, Dave? Is this a private airport, or municipal?

Our airport has talked about selling hangars to tenants, but it always

gets
swept aside as being unworkable.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Private public use airport. Poplar Grove C77 in northern IL now the largest
airport aircraft count wise in the state with 400 plus aircraft. We own the
hangar and pay a nominal annual land lease, property tax, insurance and
maintenance fee that covers snow plowing, lawn mowing, etc. Total comes to
about $1,200 per year. The land lease is a transferable 99 year lease.
Probably one of the better investments around. It is not unusual for a
hangar to sell in a couple of hours.

Old December 11th 05, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

Our airport has talked about selling hangars to tenants, but it always gets
swept aside as being unworkable.

You might do it the way they did it at Trenton/Mercer County (TTN). A private
company was allowed to build the hangars on airport property. Each hangar was
sold as if it were a "condominium" apartment (IIRC, the price for each was about
$45,000). That paid the developer back for his investment. The airport charges a
monthly maintenance fee.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 10th 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Kobra" wrote in message
Hangar tenents,

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars
for 100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There
are plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of
curiosity ... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make
you say, "THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME
A FRICKIN' TIE-DOWN."

There's advantages of being in the middle of nowhere...

When I first bought my plane, I had it in a large 3-sided hangar that held a
half dozen planes in McAllen for $90/month. It'd take about 15 minutes to
jockey the planes around to get mine out from the back at times.

When I moved to Iowa, I shared a hangar with a Cardinal. My plane was behind
the Cardinal and I would have to pull it out first, then my plane then put
it back. It was a hassle at times but only $35/month.

I then moved to southern Minnesota and at the time the only hangar available
in the area was at a grass strip about 30 miles away. $45/month for the
t-hangar.

A hangar opened up at the local airport for $50/month. This made it more
convenient when the plane and I were in the same town.

I moved again and the plane is again 30 miles away; still at the same
airport. The local airport is building some new hangars that will be
available this spring. When the new hangars are done, I'll move my plane
here to one of the older hangars for $70/month.

-Greg B.

Old December 11th 05, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

We pay $400 (cdn)/month for shared hangar, heated, - staff will move
or assist in moving our Warrior in/out to the ramp as needed.

We are permitted to "work" on our plane after hrs. and trusted to lock
up the place when finished. Hose , hot water, vac , air pressure,
powered tug and pressure washer avbl.

Presently snuggled alongside a WestWind.. (well, the company is class)

Dave

.....On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:48:03 -0500, "Kobra"
wrote:

Hangar tenents,

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars for
100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There are
plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of curiosity
... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make you say,
"THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME A FRICKIN'
TIE-DOWN."

Kobra

Old December 11th 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

We currently have our Mooney in a large heated community hanger with in
and out service provided for $300 a month. Our airport (TYQ) is
undergoing some major expansion, part of which ripping down some old
dilapidated T's and the building of about 60 brand new ones. The new
ones will have remote controlled bi-fold doors, lights, electricity, and
access to a plane washing facility. The rent for these will be $340
per month. We have first pick of the new ones if we want. I know it is
expensive but part of the benefits of being in a partnership is that I
only have to pay half. :-) I can't imagine having to permanently tie
down outside.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ