CAI 302 - How to delete all old pilots?

Old November 29th 15, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default CAI 302 - How to delete all old pilots?

Looking for the CAI 302 gurus out there...

I have a new to me CAI 302 that has several pilot names programed in it. I want to delete all of the old pilots from the device. I found the 302 dataport specification document, which says that I should be able to issue a "CLEAR PILOT" command from a terminal emulator like Windows HyperTerminal. However, that command returns a "What?" message from the 302. The "CLEAR LOGS", "CLEAR POINTS", "VERSION", Etc. all work as expected so I know things are generally working fine.

Any idea what may be going on and how to get rid of all the extra pilots?

Robert
Old November 29th 15, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Here you are.
Jim

Clearing the flight log memory in a 302 or 302A
This may help reduce flight log security issues on future flights.
Important Note: This will erase all flight logs in memory!
1. Connect the 302 or 302A to a PC using the RS-232 serial cable that was supplied with the 302.
2. Power the 302 or 302A with 12 volts and make sure the unit is turned-on. The GPS antenna does not need to be connected.
3. Run a terminal emulator program on the PC. A good one to use is HyperTerminal. It is included with most versions of Windows. To access it go to:
o Start Menu / All Programs / Accessories / Communications / HyperTerminal
4. In the "New Connections" window enter "302" for the Connection Name and then click the OK button.
5. In the "Connect To" window, set the "Connect using" parameter to match the desired communications port. This is the port which the RS-232 serial cable is connecting with. It is usually COM1, COM2, etc. and will vary from PC to PC. Then click the OK button.
6. In the "COMx Properties" window set the parameters as specified below and then click the OK button:
o Baud Rate: 4800
o Data Bits: 8
o Parity: None
o Stop Bits: 1
o Flow Control: None
7. You should now see GPS data sentences appearing in the HyperTerminal window.
8. Hold the "Ctrl" button on your computer's keyboard and hit the "c" button (Ctrl-c). The flow of GPS data should stop.
9. At the "cmd" prompt type: "clear log" and hit the Enter key. I don't think there is any acknowledgement from the 302 other than that the "cmd" prompt reappears.

Checking the 302 logger with HyperTerminal:

Connect as above
Ctrl C
Type START
Allow it to log 10 minutes.
Type STOP
Then download the log with the CAI 302 utility and check security.
Old November 29th 15, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Oops,
Pilots are edited using the CAI utility for either PC or IPAQ.
Jim
Old November 29th 15, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 11:22:17 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:
Oops,
Pilots are edited using the CAI utility for either PC or IPAQ.
Jim

As far as I can tell the CAI utility will only allow you to overwrite the active pilot but not delete it or others. I do see a note in the 302 manual that says "The utility program deletes ALL pilot names entered via the 303-NAV display!" However, I find that not to be the case. I can change the name of an already existing pilot but after doing so I still have the same number of pilots showing on the 303 display as I had originally.

Any other ideas?

Robert
Old December 2nd 15, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

As an old pilot, I'm glad to see that I misinterpreted the title here.