Electrical issues question

Old December 28th 05, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default UPDATE Electrical issues question

Our shop charges a 20% "service charge" on any part that they order.
that would make a .5 AMU alternator .6 AMU's for NOTHING. Whenever I
can I order from the Internet and have the item next day shipped right
to the shop. The shop doesn't mind, and I end up saving a ton of money
doing it that way.

Have you asked them how much the alternator will be? I'm curious if your
shop participates in the ripoff "service charge" I mentioned above? At
any rate I'm glad you were able to get your issue diagnosed.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

A Lieberman wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:40:46 -0600, A Lieberman wrote:

I realize that lots of theories may exist, and trouble shooting is a crap
shoot from afar but I am wondering, what would cause a full discharge
indication when I put my landing light on.

Update, newsflash, the whole niner yards....

Defective alternator was the final verdict. A$P ordered another one and I
should be flying tomorrow afternoon (I hope!).

Allen

Old December 28th 05, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Only 20%? mine charges 30

Old December 28th 05, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:47:44 GMT, Jon Kraus wrote:

Have you asked them how much the alternator will be? I'm curious if your
shop participates in the ripoff "service charge" I mentioned above? At
any rate I'm glad you were able to get your issue diagnosed.

The alternator is one of those things, I won't skimp on. Fortunately, I
have an A&P who in my opinion has integrity. No surcharges for shipping,
handling or the sorts. I will pay for the part and labor. I trust his
judgment in making sure I get the most for my money, and he has yet to fail
me.

He has a small enough business where I get individualized attention, gets
me in that day or the next day, but busy enough where I am not his only
source of income :-)

Most importantly, I can tell he takes great pride in his job / business.

Allen
Old December 29th 05, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Electrical issues question

Glad your problem is fixed, and do not know what efforts
your A&P went to, but let me vent a rant here..

Far too many people, in both automotive and I suspect GA, just jump
in & start replacing parts, without first applying some basic trouble
shooting techniques.

You can save yourself no end of grief and some AMU's by first
narrowing the problem down and THEN throwing money at it.

Now I'm the first to admit that some problems are obviously planted
by Murphy just to increase the misery index of the world, but many
can be resolved.... and often at low cost.

I wish trade schools taught troubleshooting far better than I've
seen...

endrant

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old December 30th 05, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

30%!! Man that is a ripoff.... Do they at least lube ya up with some
15W50 before sticking it to ya? :-) Probably do and then charge ya 30%
more for the 15W50. To make it worse they probably get the parts for
wholesale but add their 30% on to the retail price. What a racket it
is... Too bad they aren't more like a car dealership and charge
flat-rate hours for specified repairs.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ