I-Pad

Old January 30th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default I-Pad

On Jan 29, 11:22*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
The big catch with those cheapie units you guys are posting links to
is their low screen resolution. *Only ~270 or ~240 lines of pixels? *:-

All the IPAQ 3600/3800/3900 most of us have been flying with for years
have the same screen res.
470/240 is not a problem in fact it makes the screen refreshes faster
than units with higher res. but same speed processors.

(they also have small battery capacities from what I can tell)

Thats why you wire them into the ships power like a regular IPAQ
solution.

Since none of these "roll your own" systems are going to be IGC-legal
for badges/records, why not simply use an IGC-legal external computer/
logger with its own GPS (a la the ewMicroRecorder or similar)?

Most flights flown can use the software generated IGC files to post to
OLC which is what 99% of flights are.
If you want to get badges or records then you will have a full IGC
logger in your possession anyway

Ditching the GPS component from the PDA/PNA means a simpler device
with a much lower power consumption level. *Seems to me that there are
a lot of non-graphical (but IGC-legal) loggers and flight computers
out there, and most work fine. *Its the moving-map/navigation aspect
that needs work - so why not concentrate on that?

The integrated GPS uses a lot less current than an separate device.
Have you even seen the latest versions of XCSOAR?

And If your GPS fails, you _do_ have charts in your plane... don't
you??

Charts LOL of course and they are all up to date as well.

Regards

Al

Old January 31st 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Couple of clarifications (not that I don't appreciate the humor and
consider this a "light-hearted" topic...

1) Yes, I'm a huge user of XCSoar - I even put together a short video
tutorial, which is on the XCSoar site. Someday I'll finish the other
videos in the series that I intended to make...

2) What I was trying to say was that most people _already_ have a GPS
in their cockpit somewhere. Buying a PNA or other device with its
_own_ GPS means having extra current draw/power-demand. I don't care
if its the internal battery or ship's power - duplicating functions
like that is wasting usable electrons, period. ;-P

--Noel

Old February 1st 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jan 27, 12:29*pm, Sandy Stevenson wrote:
On Jan 27, 12:10*pm, Mario wrote:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1458...ent.html?lsrc=....

Now if only SeeYou, flyWithCE, Glide Navigator II, or someone (Dave)
would make an app for this.

At 9.71 inches, this device seems a bit large for a glider cockpit.

No problem with a 10 inch display - as long as it's thin and light.

Make a mount with a hinge at the top so it can be flipped up. Put a
full glass cockpit/glide computer display on it. If it fails, flip it
up to reveal the old "steam gauges" underneath. Take it out for the
annual.
Old February 2nd 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 27, 12:10*pm, Mario wrote:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1458...ent.html?lsrc=...

Now if only SeeYou, flyWithCE, Glide Navigator II, or someone (Dave)
would make an app for this.

At 9.71 inches, this device seems a bit large for a glider cockpit.

No problem with a 10 inch display - as long as it's thin and light.

Make a mount with a hinge at the top so it can be flipped up. *Put a
full glass cockpit/glide computer display on it. *If it fails, flip it
up to reveal the old "steam gauges" underneath. *Take it out for the
annual.

There was a PW5 pilot that had that with a monster hang glider
instrument on top of this regular instruments.

I preffer the mix of steam and high tech.
Old February 2nd 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jan 27, 12:10*pm, Mario wrote:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1458...ent.html?lsrc=...

Now if only SeeYou, flyWithCE, Glide Navigator II, or someone (Dave)
would make an app for this.

At 9.71 inches, this device seems a bit large for a glider cockpit.

No problem with a 10 inch display - as long as it's thin and light.

Make a mount with a hinge at the top so it can be flipped up. *Put a
full glass cockpit/glide computer display on it. *If it fails, flip it
up to reveal the old "steam gauges" underneath. *Take it out for the
annual.

There was a PW5 pilot that had that with a monster hang glider
instrument on top of this regular instruments.

I preffer the mix of steam and high tech.

Al, I always suspected you were into "Steam Punk".
Old February 3rd 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 2, 7:05*am, bildan wrote:

On Jan 27, 12:10*pm, Mario wrote:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1458...ent.html?lsrc=...

Now if only SeeYou, flyWithCE, Glide Navigator II, or someone (Dave)
would make an app for this.

At 9.71 inches, this device seems a bit large for a glider cockpit.

No problem with a 10 inch display - as long as it's thin and light.

Make a mount with a hinge at the top so it can be flipped up. *Put a
full glass cockpit/glide computer display on it. *If it fails, flip it
up to reveal the old "steam gauges" underneath. *Take it out for the
annual.

There was a PW5 pilot that had that with a monster hang glider
instrument on top of this regular instruments.

I preffer the mix of steam and high tech.

Al, I always suspected you were into "Steam Punk".

Hey I have even been know to fly a PW5 once!!

That was enough...