Does anyone use the Club Class?

Old February 3rd 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

Default Does anyone use the Club Class?

"Andy" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 1:53 pm, "HL Falbaum" wrote:
"rlovinggood" wrote in message

Cordele is hosting a Club Class at Cordele in 2010. We have moved the date
to a bit later to try to avoid the bad effects of El Nino (and a few other
reasons).

We have Sports Class too and we will blend the Club Class into the Sports
Class if we must, but so far, it looks good to go.

Come sign up-We have the "A" for the staff.-we're planning a good time for
all who come.

Hartley Falbaum
Competition Manager
Region V South, Cordele, GA

Early days - but here is the current contestant sign-up by class:

Club - 8
15M - 4
Sports - 3
Standard - 2
18M - 1

If you get 40 total entries that will be 8 on average per class, if
you combined down to 3 classes you'd be at 11-12 per class or 50%
higher, but inevitably some classes will have more and others less. I
find 4-6 gliders in a class (can't have less than 4) a lot less
enjoyable and competitive than 8-10, so there's a tradeoff, but I'd be
a lot less inclined to go to a Regionals where there are barely enough
gliders signed up to make my class viable.

The idea of splitting/dividing classes depending on the entries can
make sense so long as you don't cave into pilot pressure and split a
class such that one of the split out classes has only 4-6 gliders in
it. I would find that frustrating.

9B

Andy;

It is early yet, and most of the Cordele "Regulars" are not yet signed up.
I agree--the more per class the better.
If I recall correctly, the 18-15-std can be combined as needed.
If we have to combine Club-Sports we can make the tasking "interesting" for
all.

Nonetheless--the Club Class wants to race for sure!

So-let's go for it and see what happens.

Hartley Falbaum
CM Reg V So 2010

Old February 4th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

I keep reading this thread and I must say there are some here who have
a real competitive class to go to (e.g. ASW-27 owners) but they refuse
to give the same right to Club Class gliders owners in the U.S.

It is time to stop treating Club Class owners as lesser citizens of
this community just because they don’t have fancy gliders.

We already restrict classes. No 18 m gliders show up for the 15 m
Nationals. So what is the problem with restricting higher performance
gliders from Club Class?

Maybe we should combine open, 18 m and 15 m class and call it a Super
Sports Class and do away with the existing classes. I can see the
uprising this would cause. I am not advocating this. I am simply
making a point here.

If we have Club Class Nationals on the east coast we will have plenty
of people participating and Sports class will not die out.

I am an ex-club class glider owner moving to a different class. I have
no interest of my own here.

Old February 4th 10, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Feb 3, 3:38*pm, AK wrote:
[...]

I don't think the FAI guys are as hard over about that as you think -
it isn't racing unless you are racing against someone and more is
better than less. I see a fair number of contest with combined FAI
classes. The main reason I see people resisting combining classes is
they are trying to maximize their odds of getting on the podium - but
usually those victories are a bit hollow.

9B

Club class/Sports class Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 7 September 28th 08 12:17 AM
Club Class vs. Sports Class noel.wade Soaring 28 September 25th 08 02:52 AM
SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
Does USA need a Club Class? MC Soaring 42 April 7th 05 08:07 PM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM