I-Pad

Old January 28th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default I-Pad

On Jan 27, 4:48*pm, JS wrote:
* I heard the next version was going to be a bit larger, called the
Maxi Pad.
Jim

Really? I heard that to0, but also that it would come with wings....

aerodyne
Old January 28th 10, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

$499 is the entry-level price. SeeYou Mobile is, what, $250 per copy?
Add another hundred or two for a bluetooth GPS and it looks pretty
good compared to a ClearNav or Ultimate - but we'll see.

9B- Hide quoted text -

Hmm Add another 900 for the igc logger you'll need for contest/badge/
olc, add another 200 for mounting hardware, another hundred or so for
extras you didn't think you needed, and ClearNav sounds to look cheap!
To say nothing of instant hardware support from the manufacturer, no
more hard reboots at the start gate or on the ridge and so forth.

John Cochrane
Old January 28th 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Jan 27, 9:24*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
$499 is the entry-level price. SeeYou Mobile is, what, $250 per copy?
Add another hundred or two for a bluetooth GPS and it looks pretty
good compared to a ClearNav or Ultimate - but we'll see.

9B- Hide quoted text -

Hmm Add another 900 for the igc logger you'll need for contest/badge/
olc, add another 200 for mounting hardware, another hundred or so for
extras you didn't think you needed, and ClearNav sounds to look cheap!
To say nothing of instant hardware support from the manufacturer, no
more hard reboots at the start gate or on the ridge and so forth.

John Cochrane

Okay - you caught me being overly enthusiastic. I live a couple of
miles from Steve Jobs and the reality distortion field is strong that
close in.

9B
Old January 28th 10, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

$499 is the entry-level price. SeeYou Mobile is, what, $250 per copy?
Add another hundred or two for a bluetooth GPS and it looks pretty
good compared to a ClearNav or Ultimate - but we'll see.

9B- Hide quoted text -

Hmm Add another 900 for the igc logger you'll need for contest/badge/
olc, add another 200 for mounting hardware, another hundred or so for
extras you didn't think you needed, and ClearNav sounds to look cheap!
To say nothing of instant hardware support from the manufacturer, no
more hard reboots at the start gate or on the ridge and so forth.

John Cochrane

Okay - you caught me being overly enthusiastic. *I live a couple of
miles from Steve Jobs and the reality distortion field is strong that
close in.

9B

Forget all that expensive ****....

Check this out... 4.3" display, integrated GPS, runs CE6. less than
$100 plus you can add a copy of XCSOAR for free.

http://www.tootoomart.com/product-3069387-4.3

I know what I will be testing this summer.
Old January 28th 10, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

wrote:
..

Check this out... 4.3" display, integrated GPS, runs CE6. less than
$100 plus you can add a copy of XCSOAR for free.

http://www.tootoomart.com/product-3069387-4.3

I know what I will be testing this summer.

$90...hmmmm 600 MHz processor tft display built in gps....

Brian W
Old January 28th 10, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley[_2_]

On Jan 28, 12:34*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
wrote:

.

Check this out... 4.3" display, integrated GPS, runs CE6. less than
$100 plus you can add a copy of XCSOAR for free.

http://www.tootoomart.com/product-3069387-4.3

I know what I will be testing this summer.

$90...hmmmm * 600 MHz processor tft display built in gps....

Brian W

Hi
I would wait for the Pixel Qi Technology Screen/Tablets which have the
Sunlight read technology we need in Soaring
http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...splay-1866308/

Bruno
Old January 28th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
db_sonic

wrote:

.

Check this out... 4.3" display, integrated GPS, runs CE6. less than
$100 plus you can add a copy of XCSOAR for free.

http://www.tootoomart.com/product-3069387-4.3

I know what I will be testing this summer.

$90...hmmmm * 600 MHz processor tft display built in gps....

Brian W

Hi
I would wait for the Pixel Qi Technology Screen/Tablets which have the
Sunlight read technology we need in Soaringhttp://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-tegra-android-smartpad-uses-pixel...

Bruno- Hide quoted text -

I heartily endorse Bruno's suggestion. Low power Nvidia Tegra 2 chip
is killer.
See You could even run in 3D mode by harnessing the GPU inside.

Darren
(who works on Tegra when not soaring)
Old January 29th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pawnee Pilot

Or a 7" version

http://www.tootoomart.com/product-2995168-LF70B++7/'/'portable+GPS+navigation+/

Forget all that expensive ****....

Check this out... 4.3" display, integrated GPS, runs CE6. less than
$100 plus you can add a copy of XCSOAR for free.

http://www.tootoomart.com/product-3069387-4.3

I know what I will be testing this summer.- Hide quoted text -

Old January 29th 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

The big catch with those cheapie units you guys are posting links to
is their low screen resolution. Only ~270 or ~240 lines of pixels? :-
(they also have small battery capacities from what I can tell)

Since none of these "roll your own" systems are going to be IGC-legal
for badges/records, why not simply use an IGC-legal external computer/
logger with its own GPS (a la the ewMicroRecorder or similar)?

Ditching the GPS component from the PDA/PNA means a simpler device
with a much lower power consumption level. Seems to me that there are
a lot of non-graphical (but IGC-legal) loggers and flight computers
out there, and most work fine. Its the moving-map/navigation aspect
that needs work - so why not concentrate on that?

And If your GPS fails, you _do_ have charts in your plane... don't
you??

--Noel

Old January 30th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:22:14 -0800, noel.wade wrote:

Ditching the GPS component from the PDA/PNA means a simpler device with
a much lower power consumption level. Seems to me that there are a lot
of non-graphical (but IGC-legal) loggers and flight computers out there,
and most work fine. Its the moving-map/navigation aspect that needs
work - so why not concentrate on that?

Power consumption isn't a problem once you've connected the PNA to your
main battery: looked at that way, it doesn't really matter where the GPS
engine is because it will be sucking on your 12v supply no matter where
its installed.

In the UK, anyway, PNAs are both cheaper than PDAs and there's a much
bigger range available, so they are the obvious beasts to buy. Their main
drawback is the lack of any form of serial port provide a NMEA feed to a
logger or a decent vario.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK