Does anyone use the Club Class?

Old January 28th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jody

Default Does anyone use the Club Class?

Here in the US, we are slowly inching towards metric....

The US tried to go metric in the early *'80s.... No one cared.. it
wasn't a big deal...it didn't work. It's not like no one here uses
it.... it's everywhere.
*US..isolationist?

Old January 28th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jan 28, 1:22*pm, Jody wrote:
Here in the US, we are slowly inching towards metric....

yes, but at a very metered pace...

Brad
Old January 28th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

It might not be that way furlong.
Jim

Old January 28th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
silentpilot

Here in the US, we are slowly inching towards metric....
yes, but at a very metered pace...
Brad

here we have:
flying speed in knots
driving speed kilometers/hours
vertical speed feet/minutes
flying distance in nautical miles
driving distance in kilometers
fuel capacity in liters
fuel consumption gallon per hours

please do not inch towards anything different, even at metered pace!!!
I just got used to the systems and finally they work just fine!!!

Old January 29th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
delboy

On 28 Jan, 18:40, glider12321 wrote:

*US..isolationist?-

In general yes, except when we would prefer that they stay out of
things, e.g. invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, and taking over
Manchester United Football (Soccer) and Cadbury's chocolate in the UK.

I understand that only about 25% of US Citizens even hold passports!

Derek Copeland

Old January 29th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:15:00 -0800, delboy wrote:

Just about every country in the World runs Club Class competitions,
except for the US. It's one of the most popular and highly competitive
national competition in the UK.

I think he meant running Club Class to the letter of the IGC rules,
including the IGC list of eligible gliders and and using the IGC
handicaps.

We certainly don't do that: the BGA handicaps differ from the IGC ones,
and I don't mean merely that 100 is the BGA baseline compared with 1.00
for the IGC. The list of elegible gliders is a lot smaller too:

Glider BGA IGC

LS-8 100 n/a
ASW-20 98 1.08
LS-7 97 1.07
Pegase 95 1.04
Std Cirrus 90 1.00
ASW-15 89 0.99
H-201 Libelle 89 0.98
Club Libelle 86 0.96
G-102 Astir 85 n/a
SZD Junior 83 n/a
PW-5 81 n/a (same as a Ka-6e)

Most countries have gone metric, and we have been buying motor fuel in
litres for years in the UK.

What suddenly caused petrol to be sold in litres was Maggie Thatcher
waking up to the approach of the £2.00 gallon. She thought this would be
a political no-no so suddenly we were sold it in litres to disguise the
rising price.

And what a mess the UK made of metrication when they followed Canada,
Australia and NZ down that path. We all watched our predecessors and
avoided their mistakes, but did the UK do that? Nooooo! They refused to
learn from our experience and made a right cock-up of the process, not
only making all the mistakes we'd discovered but inventing a few new ones
as well.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 29th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Shiver me timbers!
It's hard to fathom. These figures are in a league of their own.
Could liter drinking.
Arrr.
Jim (lad)
Old January 29th 10, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

On Jan 29, 12:13*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
[...]

The list of glider types elegible for UK club class competitiions is
not more restricted restricted than the IGC list - in theory it is the
reverse as the UK definition includes all IGC eligible gliders as well
as all gliders with a UK handicap of 98 or less. The relevant
paragraph in the 2009 competition handbook reads:

"10.2. Club Class. Water ballast must not be carried, scores are
handicapped, and gliders listed in Appendix 1 with a Speed Index not
exceeding 98 before additional performance enhancement handicap
increments, are eligible to enter. In addition, all gliders listed on
the current IGC Club Class handicap list are eligible. All gliders
will fly at their allotted BGA Speed Index."

John Galloway
Old January 29th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 03:37:19 -0800, johngalloway wrote:

The list of glider types elegible for UK club class competitiions is not
more restricted restricted than the IGC list - in theory it is the
reverse as the UK definition includes all IGC eligible gliders as well
as all gliders with a UK handicap of 98 or less.

Apologies for a bit of shocking writing - that was what I meant to write
but not what I actually wrote. I should get to bed sooner.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 29th 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Jan 28, 5:28*pm, delboy wrote:
On 28 Jan, 18:40, glider12321 wrote:

*US..isolationist?-

In general yes, except when we would prefer that they stay out of
things, e.g. invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, and taking over
Manchester United Football (Soccer) and Cadbury's chocolate in the UK.

I understand that only about 25% of US Citizens even hold passports!

Derek Copeland

Since holding a passport is not a requirement to be a US Citizen, that
really doesn't mean much!

Kirk

Club class/Sports class Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 7 September 28th 08 12:17 AM
Club Class vs. Sports Class noel.wade Soaring 28 September 25th 08 02:52 AM
SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
Does USA need a Club Class? MC Soaring 42 April 7th 05 08:07 PM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM