International Shipping (trailer axle)

Old February 3rd 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default International Shipping (trailer axle)

Trying to figure out a semi-economical way to get a Knott axle from
Germany to NE USA. Convenient, fast, very expensive way has already
been identified :-). No containers carrying gliders or trailers are
known to be coming in next several months, so I think that option is
out. UPS appears to have an integrated truck/ocean freight/customs
clearance service available, I'll call them tomorrow. Other ideas?

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 3rd 10, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Feb 2, 6:41*pm, T8 wrote:
Trying to figure out a semi-economical way to get a Knott axle from
Germany to NE USA. *Convenient, fast, very expensive way has already
been identified :-). *No containers carrying gliders or trailers are
known to be coming in next several months, so I think that option is
out. *UPS appears to have an integrated truck/ocean freight/customs
clearance service available, I'll call them tomorrow. *Other ideas?

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Buy a US-made axle - I replaced mine on a Komet trailer with a local
one here in Arizona. I'd hardly think it was worth shipping such a
low-tech piece of kit when you can get a local equivalent.

Mike
Old February 3rd 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

T8 wrote:
Trying to figure out a semi-economical way to get a Knott axle from
Germany to NE USA. Convenient, fast, very expensive way has already
been identified :-). No containers carrying gliders or trailers are
known to be coming in next several months, so I think that option is
out. UPS appears to have an integrated truck/ocean freight/customs
clearance service available, I'll call them tomorrow. Other ideas?

Are you sure no one has a new glider coming this way? I know a pilot
expecting one in April. Call all the dealers and see if you can find
someone getting a new glider soon, and maybe you can contact the pilot
to have the axle put in their trailer.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old February 3rd 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Feb 2, 5:41*pm, T8 wrote:
Trying to figure out a semi-economical way to get a Knott axle from
Germany to NE USA. *Convenient, fast, very expensive way has already
been identified :-). *No containers carrying gliders or trailers are
known to be coming in next several months, so I think that option is
out. *UPS appears to have an integrated truck/ocean freight/customs
clearance service available, I'll call them tomorrow. *Other ideas?

-Evan Ludeman / T8

I put one of these on my 89 cobra trailer after the brake handle
flipped over the second time. Electric brakes and I think I paid about
$600. Had to get new wheels but they are U.S. mfg wheels and they were
$40 ea at America's tire. A little fab to mount but I like it. I had
to special order with my dimensions through a trailer distributor
(camper trailer). http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...0-2200_lbs.pdf
Old February 3rd 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

(already sent to Evan personally) If a current Cobra (Alko) axle
available from Williams Soaring won't fit, use Axle, Inc, Elkhart,
Indiana.
They manufacture Alko Kober axles to your spec. The suggestion
included buying the mechanical brake parts from Williams, and having
Axle build a mechanical brake axle with them. Electric ties you to a
small percentage of vehicles. Hydraulic actuators are not so bad, but
what do you do with either for a parking brake and moving around
without the car?
Modern glider trailers already have the mechanical linkage with
parking brake mechanism on board. Best to stick with it
Jim

http://www.williamssoaring.com/

http://www.axleinc.com/
Old February 3rd 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 3, 1:59*pm, JS wrote:
* (already sent to Evan personally) If a current Cobra (Alko) axle
available from Williams Soaring won't fit, use Axle, Inc, Elkhart,
Indiana.
*They manufacture Alko Kober axles to your spec. The suggestion
included buying the mechanical brake parts from Williams, and having
Axle build a mechanical brake axle with them. Electric ties you to a
small percentage of vehicles. Hydraulic actuators are not so bad, but
what do you do with either for a parking brake and moving around
without the car?
* Modern glider trailers already have the mechanical linkage with
parking brake mechanism on board. Best to stick with it
Jim

http://www.williamssoaring.com/

http://www.axleinc.com/

Indeed, there appears to be merit in this approach (German mechanical
brakes on USA axle). We're looking at it.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 3rd 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Luten

On Feb 2, 8:41*pm, T8 wrote:
Trying to figure out a semi-economical way to get a Knott axle from
Germany to NE USA. *Convenient, fast, very expensive way has already
been identified :-). *No containers carrying gliders or trailers are
known to be coming in next several months, so I think that option is
out. *UPS appears to have an integrated truck/ocean freight/customs
clearance service available, I'll call them tomorrow. *Other ideas?

-Evan Ludeman / T8

If you're still interested, I was told a container would be shipping
from Pipistrel (Slovenia) in May, for a June arrival somewhere in the
US -- presumably the east coast or Houston.

-- Bob --

Cobra trailer axle Pete Dawson Soaring 1 August 15th 09 01:49 AM
ASK 21 in Cobra trailer single or double axle? Karaka Soaring 7 June 19th 09 10:15 PM
International Trailer and Tankers Goteborgbank Soaring 0 October 13th 07 12:22 PM
International Trailer and Tankers Goteborgbank Piloting 0 October 13th 07 12:20 PM
Cobra Trailer - U.S. Axle? Mitch Soaring 8 March 2nd 07 10:16 PM