Thermal mapping

Old April 22nd 04, 03:43 PM
iPilot

If anyone has free funds to play around with tinyfogger
http://www.tinyfogger.com/us/tiny-fogger.html I'd be interested in hearing about the results later
on. Funds needed are in range of $1200.

Old April 22nd 04, 03:57 PM
iPilot

There's a cheaper alternative too: Smoke spray

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...moduleno=20746

Old April 22nd 04, 08:21 PM
Jeff Alu

If you want to see some Dust Devils in actions, check out my short
movie of dust devils at El Mirage Dry Lake in Southern Cal:

http://www.animalu.com/pics/dd1.htm

I've only glided once. Anyone ever flown through a dust devil?

Jeff
http://www.animalu.com/pics/photos.htm
Old April 23rd 04, 12:03 AM
Rudy Allemann

"Duane Eisenbeiss" wrote in message news:3Q1hc.31080$yD1.92394@attbi_s54...
"Bubbles, toliet paper, and bent tow tickets seem to center thermals by
themselfs. Free flight model airplanes do a good job of centering thermals
by themself. Ever consider what might happen if we just trimed out our
sailplanes and kept our hands off of the controls?

Duane

Dick Schreder also suggested the idea back in the 60's. He used
Kleenex and I have tried it myself several times. The mechanics are
easy. Open the side window and with your free hand pull out a Kleenex
from the box (pop-up type), hold the sheet near the window and let go.
Out it goes and do another. In one circle in a thermal you can drop
ten or more. The sheets are fairly visible. You then continue flying
the circle and observe any sheets that are higher than you are. steer
toward them. In normal soaring it isn't much better than using the
vario but I used to think that when desparately low it might be a
useful last chance.

Rudy Allemann
Old April 23rd 04, 05:48 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article , iPilot wrote:
There's a cheaper alternative too: Smoke spray

How about dry ice? A big hunk right behind the canopy? :P

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old April 23rd 04, 05:54 AM
Tim Ward

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
In article , iPilot

wrote:
There's a cheaper alternative too: Smoke spray

How about dry ice? A big hunk right behind the canopy? :P

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Avenal, California, USA

I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but somehow filling a very small cockpit
with carbon dioxide just seems like a really poor idea.

Tim Ward

Old April 25th 04, 01:11 PM
Norbas

i´ve an old (70+) friend that used to launch small pieces of toilet paper or
even yellow pages from phone books, cut to pieces. It seems pretty effective
to him. Perhaps a good old habit from the 50's...

norbas
(lak12)

Old April 25th 04, 04:00 PM
Eric Greenwell

Norbas wrote:
i´ve an old (70+) friend that used to launch small pieces of toilet paper or
even yellow pages from phone books, cut to pieces. It seems pretty effective
to him. Perhaps a good old habit from the 50's...

I'm thinking it's not useful to have markers showing the lift where
you've already been - you know what's there, so why mark it? How about
something that disperses the markers over an area about two or three
times the size of a circle, so you can see what the lift is in places
you haven't flown through?

A toilet paper roll with a large firecracker in it, and a spring loaded
ejector would do the trick, but I sure wouldn't want to be in the
cockpit if the firecracker exploded before the roll was ejected!

I know! A trained flock of small soaring birds that you release when
desperate. They spread out over the area, circling when they find lift.
Once you start climbing, they return to the glider and crawl back
inside, ready for the next time you need their assistance.

Or, always team fly with 5 or 6 friends (buy them identical gliders if
you have to). Someone will find lift.

Or, do what I do: carry lift in the glider, and when you need some, turn
it on. It's a mature technology, available today from your glider
dealer. OK, maybe not available TODAY, but he'll be glad to order it for
you, and within a year, you'll have it. Or, buy a used one, and get it a
lot sooner.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA