My next ship...

Old October 25th 17, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default My next ship...

I am looking for my next glider, and wanted a little advice from my friends on RAS. First a little background;

I have about 500 hrs on a Ventus C. I fly mostly in CA and NV in the Sierras. I am interested in 500K+ XC and some regional contests. I like to compete, but will never take the risks necessary to be really competitive.

My list of wants (not requirements) include; Flaps, auto hook-up, roomy safety cockpit, easy to rig and trailer, water in the wings and tail?, 15m and possibly 18m for fun, high performance, price around $70K +/- $10K

Current candidates in no particular order include:

Lak 17a
ASW 27/27b
Ventus 2CX
DG 800 or 808s
HPH 304 CZ
LS-10?

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Matt H
Old October 25th 17, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

All on the list are good. I would add Ventus 2bx. Several available at good prices. Unless you need the 18m, you will love the flight qualities.

Old October 25th 17, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

ASW27 Next question?
Old October 25th 17, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Vreeken

The real fun starts at 18 meters ! 😎
Old October 25th 17, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

If your Ventus C has 17.6 m, why would you trade it for a DG or a HPH ?!
Old October 25th 17, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 7:46:02 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

I quite liked the Ventus C/17.6. Other than getting rid of the pesky and fragile side-hinge canopy, not sure you'd be doing much better with some on your list.
The V2Cx and CxA (serial # 82 and higher), ASW27 and 27B would be the best step up in performance.
You didn't list JS1. The A and B models are not as expensive (or refined) as a C with just 18m tips, but they're just as nice to fly.
Note that the tail tank was an option not everyone took in the ASW27B, and unavailable in the "A".
Jim
Old October 25th 17, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 8:27:08 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
ASW27 Next question?

Darryl,

You owned a Lak 17a if I am not mistaken. thoughts on the 27 over the Lak?

Matt
Old October 25th 17, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 9:32:32 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
[...]

I had the 16.6 tips. rarely flew them over the 15m with winglets. Will look into the Js1.

Matt
Old October 25th 17, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 9:12:38 PM UTC-7, Tango Whisky wrote:
If your Ventus C has 17.6 m, why would you trade it for a DG or a HPH ?!

DG 808s seems like high performance at high speed. I only had 16.6 tips...
Old October 25th 17, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Broke the side hinge canopy twice. First time, the glider flew without me under tow by golf cart in a down burst @ Truckee. Got 15 feet in the air while I held the wingtip. Second time a total loss at Truckee when canopy blew open in a gust on the ground and tumbled down the flight line. Painful to watch...