My next ship...

Old October 25th 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default My next ship...

What DG glider are you talking about? I assumed you were looking for a used glider.... here appears to be only 5 non-motorglider DG-80x in the USA and I would be surprised if many of those had 15m tips. Why do you care about 15m, if you want a 18m glider buy one of those. A DG-80x would be nowhere near top of my list compared to modern 18m gliders, ASG29, JS1 or V3. What is your budget? Again if you want a 15m glider... ASW27. Lots of them around find a beautiful one.
Old October 25th 17, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Sorry I missed the budget in the first post. For $70-$80k forget 18m and get the very best ASW27 you can find/afford.
Old October 25th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 10:21:38 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Sorry I missed the budget in the first post. For $70-$80k forget 18m and get the very best ASW27 you can find/afford.

I agree that the 27 is the safe choice, but I want to explore the boundaries of my options. For instance the LAK 17a is 15/18m and appears very affordable. Performance is good, and it gets good reviews. It appears you could even get a self launcher for about $80K. I think Sean F. owned one. Comments Sean?
Old October 25th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Idaflieg measurements show the DG800 18m winglet at 45:1. There will be variations between serial numbers, but not 5 points.
My Ventus cM 17.6 was measured by Idaflieg with 47:1, and my buddy flying a 800 kept loosing out on me during long glides with the same wing loading.
Old October 25th 17, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Highly doubt if Sean owned a Lak or would comment on a Lak as he is the HPH dealer. If you want to speak with him about eh 304 shark line call W&W.

Old October 25th 17, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 12:08:57 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Highly doubt if Sean owned a Lak or would comment on a Lak as he is the HPH dealer. If you want to speak with him about eh 304 shark line call W&W.

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 10:30:51 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 10:21:38 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Sorry I missed the budget in the first post. For $70-$80k forget 18m and get the very best ASW27 you can find/afford.

I agree that the 27 is the safe choice, but I want to explore the boundaries of my options. For instance the LAK 17a is 15/18m and appears very affordable. Performance is good, and it gets good reviews. It appears you could even get a self launcher for about $80K. I think Sean F. owned one. Comments Sean?

Jonathan - I believe Matt is referring to Sean Fidler, who owned a 17A for several years. The Sean you are thinking about is Sean Franke at W&W.
Thanks - Renny
Old October 25th 17, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 7:46:02 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I am looking for my next glider, and wanted a little advice from my friends on RAS. First a little background;

I have about 500 hrs on a Ventus C. I fly mostly in CA and NV in the Sierras. I am interested in 500K+ XC and some regional contests. I like to compete, but will never take the risks necessary to be really competitive.

My list of wants (not requirements) include; Flaps, auto hook-up, roomy safety cockpit, easy to rig and trailer, water in the wings and tail?, 15m and possibly 18m for fun, high performance, price around $70K +/- $10K

Current candidates in no particular order include:

Lak 17a
ASW 27/27b
Ventus 2CX
DG 800 or 808s
HPH 304 CZ
LS-10?

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Matt H

Since you already have a Ventus, the 2bx or 2cx would be obvious choices. The latter might be above your price point, but the 2bx probably not. I like mine!

Mike
Old October 25th 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 11:46:44 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
[...]

Matt, you need to forget about all that short span stuff. What you really want is a vintage Nimbus 3. I have just the one you need at only half your budget. You can invest the rest of the money in a gym membership and come out ahead :-)

Craig
7Q
Old October 25th 17, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 2:15:38 PM UTC-5, Craig Funston wrote:

Matt, you need to forget about all that short span stuff. What you really want is a vintage Nimbus 3. I have just the one you need at only half your budget. You can invest the rest of the money in a gym membership and come out ahead :-)

Craig
7Q

And, what Craig has offered up is just a "bigger Ventus". So you will be right at home with the handling. :-)

Steve Leonard
VJS
Old October 25th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, 25 October 2017 05:46:02 UTC+3, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Most glider pilots fly for fun so forget 15m gliders and go for 18m V2CX or LS10 if budget allows. They perform noticeably better than rest of the group in every possible weather scenario. Others are step down or sideways performance-wise, though probably nicer to fly than old Ventus. (304 seriously?)