Zebra Runway incursion

Old October 28th 04, 10:29 PM
Save the Elephants

Default Zebra Runway incursion

I hesitate to post this link because one zebra met an awful end, but no
human was hurt in this nasty runway incursion. Warning: the zebra is in
terrible shape, and the pics are pretty graphic.

http://www.save-the-elephants.org/Ph...rash/Page.html

I guess the lesson is, be aware of your surroundings! A zebra isn't
likely to get into this kind of trouble in America, but we DO have lots
of deer, moose, even bears that come to grief every year. And some
pilots are not as lucky as these two. Scan the periphery of the runway
to make sure no critters are about to make any foolish moves!

-STE
Old October 28th 04, 11:02 PM
Peter Duniho

"Save the Elephants" wrote in message
[...]
I guess the lesson is, be aware of your surroundings! A zebra isn't
likely to get into this kind of trouble in America, but we DO have lots of
deer, moose, even bears that come to grief every year. [...]

Not to mention turtles (had to avoid one on the taxiway at Orlando Executive
one time).

Name any animal native to North America, and one of them has probably
wandered onto a runway at some point. Probably even a few non-native
species have found their way to the wrong place too. It's a good reminder
that other aircraft are relatively easy to see, and we still run into those
when they're in the wrong place at the wrong time; animals are even harder
to avoid, but present a very real hazard.

Obviously there's a limit to how much time you can invest monitoring the
runway edges while you're supposed to be keeping it on centerline, flaring,
braking, etc. but somewhere in there ought to be *some* kind of "runway
environment scan". Thanks for the reminder.

Pete

Old October 29th 04, 03:35 AM
C Kingsbury

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Name any animal native to North America, and one of them has probably
wandered onto a runway at some point. Probably even a few non-native
species have found their way to the wrong place too. It's a good reminder

Taking off from BED (near Boston) a few years back the tower called us and
asked if we could see a kangaroo near the departure end of the runway. Never
know what people are keeping as pets these days.

-cwk.

Old October 29th 04, 04:01 AM
AJW

Name any animal native to North America, and one of them has probably
wandered onto a runway at some point. Probably even a few non-native
species have found their way to the wrong place too. It's a good reminder

Taking off from BED (near Boston) a few years back the tower called us and
asked if we could see a kangaroo near the departure end of the runway. Never
know what people are keeping pets these days.

-cwk.

My favorite animal warning came from some place in PA, can't remember where.
The airplane ahead of me, after lifting off, told the tower there was a large
turtle on the runway.

I got this when I was told to postion and hold: "Caution, wake turbulance,
crossing turtle 1000 feet from the threshold."

Old October 29th 04, 11:07 AM
Kees Mies

Save the Elephants wrote in message ...
I hesitate to post this link because one zebra met an awful end, but no
human was hurt in this nasty runway incursion. Warning: the zebra is in
terrible shape, and the pics are pretty graphic.

http://www.save-the-elephants.org/Ph...rash/Page.html

I guess the lesson is, be aware of your surroundings! A zebra isn't
likely to get into this kind of trouble in America, but we DO have lots
of deer, moose, even bears that come to grief every year. And some
pilots are not as lucky as these two. Scan the periphery of the runway
to make sure no critters are about to make any foolish moves!

-STE

I had to wait once before the environmental correct lawn mowers (aka
sheep) had moved from their job.
Stupid thing to see for the very first time.
I like kebab, but I do not like it to have it sprayed all over my
plane so I switched of the engine while waiting.

-Kees

P.S. Met a dog or two on the runway, a bit smarter animals, they run
away.
Old October 30th 04, 09:16 PM
Bob Chilcoat

One of our Cherokees had a close encounter with a deer a few weeks ago.
Student and Instructor were just touching down when the instructor suddenly
shouted "My airplane!" and started a go around. They almost cleared the
deer, which was near midfield, but it glanced off the inside leading edge
and underside of the wing. There was quite a bit of vibration, but they
managed to complete the pattern and landed again, alongside of what was left
of the deer. They discovered the deer's head significantly separated from
the rest of it. The prop was slightly bent, and there was some minor sheet
metal damage to the one wing leading edge and root.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

[...]

Pilot deviations and a new FAA reality Chip Jones Piloting 125 October 15th 04 07:42 PM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM
Runway Incursion and NASA form Koopas Ly Piloting 16 November 12th 03 01:37 AM
Runway Incursion and NASA form steve mew Piloting 0 November 10th 03 05:37 AM
Moving violation..NASA form? Nasir Piloting 47 November 5th 03 07:56 PM