Class III vs. Class II medical

Old February 6th 05, 06:43 PM
G. Sylvester

Default Class III vs. Class II medical

I am going to take my medical on Tuesday. The price
for a Class II is the same for a Class III license. If I don't
renew my Class II within 6 month sor 12 months (?) it goes down
to a Class III. I don't plan on exercising the Class II but who knows,
maybe I'll get my Commerciial and CFI in the next year. I don't have
any plans for now but who knows. Actually I don't even think you
need a Class II to act as a CFI.

Any reason I should get a Class II or should not get a class III?
to me it sounds like get a Class II and at worst, it cost me an
extra 15 minutes.

Gerald Sylvester
Old February 6th 05, 07:05 PM

If you don't need a class II, stay with a class III. If for some
reason you fail any part of the class II additional checks (I don't
know what they are off hand) you have failed a class III and will have
to appeal it to the FAA. that could cost you any future medicals.

Old February 6th 05, 07:12 PM
Jose

If for some
reason you fail any part of the class II additional checks (I don't
know what they are off hand) you have failed a class III and will have
to appeal it to the FAA. that could cost you any future medicals.

That is news to me. I would go for the II and if I fail that accept
the III. Where do you see that failing a II fails a III?

Jose
--
Nothing is more powerful than a commercial interest.
Old February 6th 05, 07:40 PM
Bob Gardner

The doc has to send the paperwork in to OKC, no matter what. So if the
applicant has put Class II at the top of the application and fails, that's
the way it goes to OKC. The doc does not have the option to start over. (I
am not a doctor and do not play one on TV.)

Bob Gardner

Old February 6th 05, 07:48 PM
Scott D.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:43:00 GMT, "G. Sylvester"
wrote:

I am going to take my medical on Tuesday. The price
for a Class II is the same for a Class III license. If I don't
renew my Class II within 6 month sor 12 months (?) it goes down
to a Class III. I don't plan on exercising the Class II but who knows,
maybe I'll get my Commerciial and CFI in the next year. I don't have
any plans for now but who knows. Actually I don't even think you
need a Class II to act as a CFI.

Any reason I should get a Class II or should not get a class III?
to me it sounds like get a Class II and at worst, it cost me an
extra 15 minutes.

Gerald Sylvester

There really isnt a big difference in the Class II and a Class III
medical except for the term that it is good for if you are using the
Class II for a commercial purpose. There is a small vision requirment
but that is it. If you are an AOPA memeber, you can see a chart that
explains the difference's in all the medicals at:
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/me...part67std.html

If you are not a member, here is the difference:

Class I and II
Distant Vision: 20/20 in each eye, with or without correction

Class III
Distant Vision: 20/40 in each eye w/wo correction

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher
Old February 6th 05, 08:04 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

The literal differences between the classes are quite small, IIRC. Stepping
up to 2nd you only need to have vision correctable to 20/20 and 1st adds the
requirement for an EKG every so often after the age of 35. Besides that the
exams are theoretically identical.

However, in reality the examiner (and the people in OKC who review the
application) certainly have some leeway to decide whether an issue merits
further review or not. If you're 100% clean, no worries, get the higher
certificate. But if you will answer "yes" to any of those two dozen "Have
you ever..." questions, then I'd expect a 2C or 1C application to be
scrutinized much more closely. A private pilot who has chest pains and loses
it in IMC, they'd probably never even figure it out. But if a CFI has a
heart attack on a student's second flight might attract a little more
attention. AMEs like it when people pass, it helps keep the repeat business
up. Nobody I've heard of will overlook an obvious issue, but there's often
times when you can make a judgment call that X is or is not significant. I
have to think that the class medical being applied for has some influence on
how that call is made.

-cwk.

oups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 03:03 AM
Steve.T

Uh, it isn't. In fact, I found out that your existing medical is *DEAD*
upon filling out the official form for a new medical. I found that out
when I had to report an irregular heart beat and had to do the Holter
monitor, Stress EKG and echo-cardiograph (they use a sonogram to
examine your heart to see if it has valve problems, etc.).

I had thought that my old Class III was still valid and was flying with
it. The senior AME that had to review all the records I took him
informed me that my old medical was dead the moment my pen hit the new
official form!

And because I had all the paperwork already done (thank you AOPA) and
was able to submit it to that Sr AME, he decided to issue the Class III
and make the FAA Medical people issue a cancellation -- because it is
only noticeable by me at rest!

Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

ps. I just have an irregular heart beat. But now that I've gone through
all this, I should easily pass the Class I.

Old February 7th 05, 07:22 AM
G. Sylvester

I already started giving you some light lessons. Keep talking
and I'll have my CFII and then I can really start slapping
the hell out of you. As I said after my last lesson, I can't
wait for you to call me up crying after one of your lessons. ;-)

And BTW, no compliment about my +/-15 feet altitude on my approaches?

Gerald