No Damage History?

Old January 8th 04, 12:34 AM
John Galban

"karl" wrote in message ...
John,

Cub-Crafter Super Cubs are brand new airplanes, with brand new data plates
and brand new log books. Nothing comes off a donor airplane. Nothing.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/topcub.htm

Very interesting. In their earlier days, Cub-Crafters used to do
what they called a total restoration, which amounted to building you a
brand new plane on which they affixed your data plate. Now it seems
they're building Cubs from scratch. I wonder how they get away with
that, since New Piper obviously doesn't want them to. The website
said :

"The FAA has so far sided with Mr. Richmond, approving the Top Cubs
under a regulation that allows anybody to build any civilian aircraft,
as long as it meets the original design. "

Does this mean I could start building and selling Cherokees in my
garage and Piper couldn't stop me??? Apparently so.

Very strange indeed.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Best,
Karl

Old January 8th 04, 04:34 PM
Ron Natalie

"John Galban" wrote in message om...

"The FAA has so far sided with Mr. Richmond, approving the Top Cubs
under a regulation that allows anybody to build any civilian aircraft,
as long as it meets the original design. "

Does this mean I could start building and selling Cherokees in my
garage and Piper couldn't stop me??? Apparently so.

There's no enforceable intellectual property on the cub (save maybe the
cub trademark). The certification approval is at the FAA's discretion,
but hey if it's identical to the previously approved design, what justification
is there in declining that CC's cubs are any different than Pipers?

Presumably CC has gotten independent manufacturing authority (Piper's
would come under the type certificate), but that's a lot less effort than
certificating a new design.

Old January 8th 04, 09:12 PM
Doug

What I don't understand is what sort of certification tag the FAA is
giving the Cub Crafters Top Cubs. It can't be a Super Cub, but yet it
is a certified aircraft. So what is it?

Old January 11th 04, 12:09 PM
Guy Byars

What I don't understand is what sort of certification tag the FAA is
giving the Cub Crafters Top Cubs. It can't be a Super Cub, but yet it
is a certified aircraft. So what is it?

It is 100% certain that Piper will be sued when some bone head crashes one
after running it out of gas or crashes into a mountain at night in fog.

Old January 11th 04, 10:50 PM
Newps

Guy Byars wrote:

What I don't understand is what sort of certification tag the FAA is
giving the Cub Crafters Top Cubs. It can't be a Super Cub, but yet it
is a certified aircraft. So what is it?

It is 100% certain that Piper will be sued when some bone head crashes one
after running it out of gas or crashes into a mountain at night in fog.

Well since some have crashed, with fatalities, it's safe to say you
don't know what you are talking about.

Old January 12th 04, 05:36 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Newps" wrote in message

Guy Byars wrote:

What I don't understand is what sort of certification tag the FAA is
giving the Cub Crafters Top Cubs. It can't be a Super Cub, but yet it
is a certified aircraft. So what is it?

It is 100% certain that Piper will be sued when some bone head crashes

one
after running it out of gas or crashes into a mountain at night in fog.

Well since some have crashed, with fatalities, it's safe to say you
don't know what you are talking about.

You missed his tongue-in-cheek remark.

Old January 13th 04, 05:53 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Yes, that is what it means... They could not stop you if the FAA signs off
that your produced aircraft meets the original certified drawings and gives
you a production certificate...

It is not strange to those of us who have taken the time to understand the
regulations - and to those who have to make unavailable parts for their
aircraft... Further, New Piper shot itself in the foot by publically saying
they will NEVER again produce the Cub, alerting the feds to an orphaned
airplane... Cub Crafters had established a history and reputation for
credibility with the FAA beginning in the rebuild area and then became the
source of technical and engineering knowledge about Cubs by getting PMA for
all the parts... The step from supplying approved replacements for every
part on the Cub, to simply assembling a totally new airplane from a pile of
these parts, was a very small step...