The pain and pleasure of plane ownership

Old October 24th 04, 12:42 AM
Marco Rispoli

Default The pain and pleasure of plane ownership

After 3 long and painful months in the shop, my baby is back. Got into a
little accident in the summer (engine trouble) and this weekend was the
first weekend i had it all for me again.

You guys have no idea what a pleasure it is, what difference does it make,
to fly a PROPER plane as opposed to a $hit colored, $hit smelling, banged up
rental.

I took the plane up for almost 2 hours straight of landings. Did 15
landings. I feel re-born.

I posted pictures of my flight today he
http://www.thepilotlounge.com/script...showtopic=1168

It was such a pain to have to rent for 3 months. For one thing, I ain't that
rich. So renting and owning at the same time is a really painful thing
(after all the fixed costs are still there and they are taking a bite out of
ya, even if you don't fly the plane).

For another, after owning a beautifully functional and smooth riding plane,
it's really depressing to rent (especially since my plane's costs are around
70 an hour and the rentals is 100 ... when it's really worth 3 pennies an
hour as far as I am concerned).

It might be a pain to own and run into mechanical troubles but it's so great
when you finally get your plane back it runs 10 times smoother than before!!

Today was also, such a beatiful day to fly in NJ. Perfect day!

--
Marco Rispoli - NJ, USA / PP-ASEL
My on-line aviation community - http://www.thepilotlounge.com

Old October 24th 04, 01:24 AM
NW_PILOT

"Marco Rispoli" wrote in message
. net...
After 3 long and painful months in the shop, my baby is back. Got into a
little accident in the summer (engine trouble) and this weekend was the
first weekend i had it all for me again.

You guys have no idea what a pleasure it is, what difference does it make,
to fly a PROPER plane as opposed to a $hit colored, $hit smelling, banged

up
rental.

Most of us learnd in them $hit colored, $hit smelling, banged up rentals.

For another, after owning a beautifully functional and smooth riding

plane,
it's really depressing to rent (especially since my plane's costs are

around
70 an hour and the rentals is 100 ... when it's really worth 3 pennies an
hour as far as I am concerned).

It might be a pain to own and run into mechanical troubles but it's so

great
when you finally get your plane back it runs 10 times smoother than

before!!

My bank account feels your bank accounts pain.

Old October 24th 04, 06:28 AM
tony roberts

It might be a pain to own and run into mechanical troubles but it's so great
when you finally get your plane back it runs 10 times smoother than before!!

Roger that

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old October 24th 04, 02:26 PM
Jay Honeck

It might be a pain to own and run into mechanical troubles but it's so
great
when you finally get your plane back it runs 10 times smoother than
before!!

Roger that

There is nothing -- NOTHING -- better than opening the hangar door on a
sunny, calm morning, and finding the plane precisely where I parked it, in
the condition I parked it, and flying off to wherever the hell I want to go.

Of course, it really sucks when you find a puddle of brake fluid under the
right strut, as we did last week. But that's life -- maximize the good,
minimize the bad.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 25th 04, 03:01 PM
PaulH

Roger that

There is nothing -- NOTHING -- better than opening the hangar door on a
sunny, calm morning, and finding the plane precisely where I parked it, in
the condition I parked it, and flying off to wherever the hell I want to go.

Amen to that. I've even found myself talking to the thing - hi, how
are you this morning, nice to see you again.
Old October 25th 04, 08:44 PM
Carl J. Hixon

There is nothing -- NOTHING -- better than opening the hangar door on a
sunny, calm morning, and finding the plane precisely where I parked it,

in
the condition I parked it, and flying off to wherever the hell I want to

go.

Amen to that. I've even found myself talking to the thing - hi, how
are you this morning, nice to see you again.

Well as a pilot who hasn't flown in nearly 6 years, I can relate to this
thread. I was renting back then. The bank account could barely handle it
with two kids in diapers. I went out to preflight the Citabria and noticed
that the wing tip had been dragged on the runway. Actually rubbed through
the fabric and metal showing. Not even a squak in the logbook. I told the
flight school and they came out and looked then said, "No big deal, don't
worry about it." I was taken aback. It was obvious that the wingtip struck
the ground while the plane was in motion. Sure the visible damage didn't
look bad but really, somebody needed to inspect for damage.

Pretty much right then and there I decided to quit flying until I could
afford to buy my own plane and maintain it to my own standards. Who would
have guessed that I'd be grounded for six years. The wife has finally given
me the nod to buy a plane. Yeeha!! Great, now it's just me thinking that
we can't afford it and I don't have anybody to blame. Come on stock
market....just a little bit more....

Carl

Old October 25th 04, 10:23 PM
kontiki

why wait.... ya can't take it with you. Following proper logic I really
should own my own plane either but being a maverick I set my own priorities.
I say go for it... while you still can.

Keep the greasy side down.

Old October 26th 04, 04:33 AM
Jay Honeck

There is nothing -- NOTHING -- better than opening the hangar door on a
sunny, calm morning, and finding the plane precisely where I parked it,
in
the condition I parked it, and flying off to wherever the hell I want to
go.

Amen to that. I've even found myself talking to the thing - hi, how
are you this morning, nice to see you again.

Thing? THING?

Your aircraft is a living, breathing creature. I would never call my Atlas
a "thing" -- at least not in front of him.

He'd kick my ass!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 04, 03:12 AM
Carl J. Hixon

"kontiki" wrote in message
why wait.... ya can't take it with you. Following proper logic I really
should own my own plane either but being a maverick I set my own

priorities.
I say go for it... while you still can.

I'm just waiting for the right aircraft to come along. I am ready to pull
the trigger immediately!! Here is what I am looking for:

Taildragger
Stick Controls
Retractable Landing Gear
300+ HP engine
4-seats
1000+ lbs useful load
Cruise 150+ KTAS
Aerobatic (+6, -4)
Fuel burn 4.5 gph.
Low time engine, airframe, and propeller
Total Cost $50,000

Tell me where to send the check.