TFR's another question

Old October 15th 03, 06:01 PM
Corky Scott

Default TFR's another question

Do TFR's affect only VFR traffic, or can you file IFR with a flight
plan and discrete transponder code and still fly through a TFR?

Corky Scott
Old October 15th 03, 06:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"Corky Scott" wrote in message ...
Do TFR's affect only VFR traffic, or can you file IFR with a flight
plan and discrete transponder code and still fly through a TFR?

Depends on the TFR (and in some cases what part of the TFR) you
are transiting.

Old October 15th 03, 09:23 PM
Cub Driver

Do TFR's affect only VFR traffic, or can you file IFR with a flight
plan and discrete transponder code and still fly through a TFR?

When the prezdint came to Portsmouth PSM and Manchester MHT last week,
the TFR had two components. There was a 30-mile zone in which all
aircraft had to be under the control of ATC and squawking a discrete
transponder code. That effectively grounded all the Piper Cubs in most
of the state.

In addition, there was a 10-mile no-fly zone around each airport,
which terminated earlier (and may have started later; I don't know).
Only military, scheduled airliners, and other important traffic could
fly with that zone. General aviation was held on the ground until Air
Force One was clear of Boston.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 15th 03, 09:24 PM
John T

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

Depends on the TFR (and in some cases what part of the TFR) you
are transiting.

....like the "expanded P-56" TFR whenever a VIP is in residence.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old October 16th 03, 02:34 AM
vincent p. norris

Do TFR's affect only VFR traffic, or can you file IFR with a flight
plan and discrete transponder code and still fly through a TFR?

Corky, Penn State's football stadium is less than three miles from the
airport (UNV), so the TFR that is set up whenever there's a football
game there includes UNV.

As I understand it, planes flying in for the game within three hours
of kickoff time must arrive IFR. But we can depart VFR (and fly AWAY)
from the stadium) by contacting NY Center before take-off.

vince norris
Old October 16th 03, 02:55 AM
karl gruber

I takeoff from Bremerton and fly IFR through the Bremerton TFR all the time.

Karl

Old October 16th 03, 12:38 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Corky Scott" wrote in message

Do TFR's affect only VFR traffic, or can you file IFR with a flight
plan and discrete transponder code and still fly through a TFR?

Not all TFRs are created equal. TFRs for sporting events allow aircraft
communicating with ATC, IFR or VFR, to penetrate for arrival or departure to
an affected airport.

Old October 16th 03, 12:54 PM
KayInPA

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:34:29 -0400, vincent p. norris
wrote:

Corky, Penn State's football stadium is less than three miles from the
airport (UNV), so the TFR that is set up whenever there's a football
game there includes UNV.

Related (but slightly sidebar) question for Vincent. Please forgive
me if it should have been a new topic.

Vincent, in your experience, have there been TFRs established around
the time of the arts festival? I'm thinking that what you're referring
to is a result of the stadium being full, but I'm wondering now about
other busy public events in your area. Certainly, one of the things
I'd like to do with a certificate is to fly to the festival from the
Pittsburgh area.

--
Kay
Student Pilot

Old October 16th 03, 03:56 PM
C J Campbell

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
| Do TFR's affect only VFR traffic, or can you file IFR with a flight
| plan and discrete transponder code and still fly through a TFR?
|
| Corky Scott

Most TFRs don't affect much of anything. You can fly through the stadium
TFRs when arriving or departing a field. You can fly through military TFRs
while IFR during terminal or approach operations. You can also fly through
these TFRs with a permit which you can usually get with just a phone call.
You can fly through the outer ring of Presidential TFRs with a discrete
transponder code and a flight plan.

You cannot fly through the inner ring of a Presidential TFR or through a
firefighting TFR, but you never could do that anyway. Mostly, the TFRs are
just a way of criminalizing American citizens who are going about their
rightful and legitimate business. The US government has for many decades
attempted to control the American public by making criminals of most
citizens, thus increasing their dependence on the mercy of the government.

Old October 16th 03, 05:51 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:55:26 -0700, "karl gruber"
wrote:

I takeoff from Bremerton and fly IFR through the Bremerton TFR all the time.

Karl

Karl, why does Bremerton rate/require a TFR?

Thanks, Corky Scott