Flying into Beverley (BVY)

Old November 25th 04, 06:10 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Flying into Beverley (BVY)

I've asked this before, but - to date - every attempt I've made to reach
Beverly has failed. So here I go again...

First of all, there's the NOTAM about "anti-theft device". What's
necessary? I don't have a prop-lock, or anything of that sort. The doors
lock, though, and a key is needed to start. Do either of these count?

If I'm going to be staying over a couple of days, which of the two FBOs is
good/better for a 172? AirNav shows a better 100LL price at General Air
Service, but I've no idea how accurate this is.

The reviews of North Atlantic are "mixed" at best. Given that and the
price, I'm leaning towards General.

Are "Aviators of New England" and "Beverly Flight Center" FBOs (providing
service to transients)? At least the former appears to be, but there are
no fuel prices listed on AirNav or on their web site.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

- Andrew

Old November 25th 04, 07:07 PM
BTIZ

I looked for your NOTAM and did not see it..
but normally "anti theft" devices required refer to more than the standard
key lock door and keyed mag switch, you'll need a prop lock or throttle lock
or "denver boot" type device on the main landing gear.

padlocks on tie down chains don't work, as the "master key" will open them
easily.

BT

online.com...

Old November 26th 04, 03:15 AM
Judah

It's been a while since I even looked, and I never made it to BVY myself,
but I fly to some other MA airports periodically, and when I was looking
into the new security rules, here's what I found out...

If I'm not mistaken, any airport that is owned and operated by the
MassPort requires a Prop Lock if you stay either overnight or longer than
24 hours, I don't remember which. I don't think a throttle lock even
counts, but that might have been specific to Bedford...

Someone at one time recommended buying a $10 bike lock (not the chain
kind, but the rubber-sheathed cable kind) and that way you get to keep
the lock instead of renting it. But I also read that BED is no longer
charging to rent the prop lock...

Seems to me it might be worth a couple of phone calls to the two FBOs...

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

Old November 26th 04, 04:13 AM
C Kingsbury

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
I've asked this before, but - to date - every attempt I've made to reach
Beverly has failed. So here I go again...

First of all, there's the NOTAM about "anti-theft device". What's
necessary? I don't have a prop-lock, or anything of that sort. The doors
lock, though, and a key is needed to start. Do either of these count?

There is a similar requirement at Hanscom Field (~20mi away) thanks to
Massport, which fortunately does not run Beverly. Very quiet and
friendly little field still very close to Boston. All they want is a
lock other than the one on the door. I use a Krypton equipment lock
(cable- like a bicycle lock) that I bought at Home Depot for $10. Just
wrap it around the prop a few times. I'm sure that would satisfy it.

Are "Aviators of New England" and "Beverly Flight Center" FBOs (providing
service to transients)? At least the former appears to be, but there are
no fuel prices listed on AirNav or on their web site.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Let your fingers do the walking. I'm sure the guys at Aviators could
tell you the best way to go. You might just be able to tie down on the
transient ramp without dealing with anyone except to buy fuel.

PS- In the summer months Woodman's in Essex runs one hell of a clam
shack not too far away. They claim to have invented the fried clam
which may well be BS, but they sure know how to make them.

-cwk.
Old November 26th 04, 05:14 AM
Andrew Gideon

Judah wrote:

Seems to me it might be worth a couple of phone calls to the two FBOs...

That's pretty much what I'd decided. I'll give "Aviators" a call first;
I've a bias towards husband/wife owned businesses.

- Andrew

Old November 27th 04, 12:33 AM
Andrew Gideon

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Judah wrote:

Seems to me it might be worth a couple of phone calls to the two FBOs...

That's pretty much what I'd decided. I'll give "Aviators" a call first;
I've a bias towards husband/wife owned businesses.

They were very helpful on the phone, and even indicated that they'd
prop-locks available.

General Aviation Services never answered the phone, but I didn't learn why
until later. Altantic told me that, in a Skyhawk, I'd prefer to do
business on the east side of the field (where GAS and "Aviators" are
located).

When I landed, I told the tower I wanted to park in the transient area near
the tower. Tower told me to call General Aviation Services on 123.3.
Alas, they weren't open (I also tried them on 123.5). So the tower told me
essentially to part anywhere north of the tower on that ramp. I did, and
then walked into "Aviators". As friendly in person as on the phone.

Be aware that BVY's transient parking doesn't seem to include a lot of
actual tie-downs. Aviators made sure I was in one, but - next time - I
suspect I'll bring something I can install myself Just In Case. Is this
common? I've not overnighted too many places yet, but where I have (Chatam
MA, Wildwood NJ, some others) "tie down" space actually included tie-downs.

- Andrew

Old November 27th 04, 01:36 PM
Judah

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Judah wrote:

Seems to me it might be worth a couple of phone calls to the two
FBOs...

That's pretty much what I'd decided. I'll give "Aviators" a call
first; I've a bias towards husband/wife owned businesses.

They were very helpful on the phone, and even indicated that they'd
prop-locks available.

Glad to hear you had a relatively good experience..

snip

Be aware that BVY's transient parking doesn't seem to include a lot of
actual tie-downs. Aviators made sure I was in one, but - next time - I
suspect I'll bring something I can install myself Just In Case. Is
this common? I've not overnighted too many places yet, but where I
have (Chatam MA, Wildwood NJ, some others) "tie down" space actually
included tie-downs.

I've seen it both ways. Generally, if there are spots with no tie-down ropes,
they are for the transients.

The planes that I used to Rent before I joined the flight club I'm in used to
have a set of tie-downs for just this purpose, and I used them several times.
Old November 29th 04, 10:46 PM
Andrew Gideon

Judah wrote:

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Judah wrote:

Seems to me it might be worth a couple of phone calls to the two
FBOs...

That's pretty much what I'd decided. I'll give "Aviators" a call
first; I've a bias towards husband/wife owned businesses.

They were very helpful on the phone, and even indicated that they'd
prop-locks available.

Glad to hear you had a relatively good experience..

With them, yes. With the airport, not as much.

There was no fuel I could buy on the east side this morning. The GAS truck
was broken, and "Aviators" is not permitted to sell fuel (they've a truck,
but can use it only for their own [school] fleet). So I had to taxi over
to North Atlantic on the west side.

North Atlantic has a truck (at least two, presumably, as they also sell
Jet-A), but apparently it can not or will not (I'm not sure which) visit
the east side of the airport.

Annoying, and almost funny.

But now at least I understand why people have been recommending alternatives
to Beverley.

- Andrew