Shades of the Flying Professor

Old May 17th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
wkambic

Default Shades of the Flying Professor

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6a8_1179158388

Old May 17th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"wkambic" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6a8_1179158388

That's quite a stunt.
About "The Flying Professor"; I knew Dick fairly well; in fact both Schrams
were great guys.
I was at Reading in 69 when Dick Sr went in in the J3. His son was on the
mike narrating Dick's show. Dick Jr was the PAO for the Blues as well.
I don't recall Dick ever doing a "stunt" like this one, but was one hell of
a fair stick with a J3.
He had "borrowed" the airplane he was killed in at Reading from a New Jersey
friend who had used the airplane the day before for a photo shoot and
forgotten to replace the cotter pin in the rear cockpit stick. The stick
came out in Dick's hand during a low altitude hammerhead and he went in from
the back side right in front of where Dick Jr. and I were standing on the
podium.
Sad day, and a real loss for the air show community.
The Navy named a chapel after Dick at Glenview NAS. I believe it's still
there.
In lectures and talks I've given on flight safety through the years, I've
used Dick's death as a strong reminder on the importance of pre-flight
inspection. Knowing him as I did, I'm certain he would want the accident to
be put to some kind of good use, and I also know that if one pilot I
lectured about preflight inspection was saved from an accident because of
it, Dick would be resting peacefully with that.
Dudley Henriques

Old May 17th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Baker

On 2007-05-16 19:44:41 -0700, "Dudley Henriques" said:

...He had "borrowed" the airplane he was killed in at Reading from a New Jersey
friend who had used the airplane the day before for a photo shoot and
forgotten to replace the cotter pin in the rear cockpit stick. The stick
came out in Dick's hand during a low altitude hammerhead and he went in from
the back side right in front of where Dick Jr. and I were standing on the
podium.

Dudley, I must be missing something. Why would an experienced acro.
pilot fly a stunt performance from the rear seat?

Old May 17th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Hi Bill;

The J3 was better flown solo from the back seat for weight and balance. Some
were altered weight and balance wise for solo from the front I believe, but
this one was not one of those. The PA11, and PA18 were flown from the front.
The day before, it had been flown with two people in it; the pilot I believe
was in front and the photographer was in the back. The rear stick had been
removed to accomodate the photoghrapher and his equipment I believe.
Dudley Henriques

On 2007-05-16 19:44:41 -0700, "Dudley Henriques"
said:

...He had "borrowed" the airplane he was killed in at Reading from a New
Jersey
friend who had used the airplane the day before for a photo shoot and
forgotten to replace the cotter pin in the rear cockpit stick. The stick
came out in Dick's hand during a low altitude hammerhead and he went in
from
the back side right in front of where Dick Jr. and I were standing on the
podium.

Dudley, I must be missing something. Why would an experienced acro. pilot
fly a stunt performance from the rear seat?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old May 17th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
wkambic

On May 16, 10:44 pm, "Dudley Henriques" wrote:
"wkambic" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

You knew him better than I! :-)

It is possible that The Flying Professor persona was his second show?

I first saw him at NAS Glenview when I was a Middie. One of the "old
timers" there (a really ancient CDR, a WWII Avenger pilot) told me
that he performed the "World's Smallest Aircraft Carrier" stunt on a
number of occasions. At one, or so the story goes, the CNO was
present. Somebody "ribbed" CNO about the fact that the guy out there
promoting Naval Aviation was not, in fact, a Naval Aviator. Shortly
thereafter CAPT Schram became Honorary Naval Aviator #1. True, or
just folklore? I don't know. But that's my story and I'm stikkin' to
it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

There's a pretty good site that details the history of NAS Glenview.
The former chapel is now the Dick Schram Museum.

He was a Hell of stick and could certainly make J3 sit up and beg. I
have no doubt that he could land a J3 anywhere he wanted to.

May be Rest In Peace.

Old May 17th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"wkambic" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 16, 10:44 pm, "Dudley Henriques" wrote:
"wkambic" wrote in message

oups.com...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6a8_1179158388

You knew him better than I! :-)

It is possible that The Flying Professor persona was his second show?

I first saw him at NAS Glenview when I was a Middie. One of the "old
timers" there (a really ancient CDR, a WWII Avenger pilot) told me
that he performed the "World's Smallest Aircraft Carrier" stunt on a
number of occasions. At one, or so the story goes, the CNO was
present. Somebody "ribbed" CNO about the fact that the guy out there
promoting Naval Aviation was not, in fact, a Naval Aviator. Shortly
thereafter CAPT Schram became Honorary Naval Aviator #1. True, or
just folklore? I don't know. But that's my story and I'm stikkin' to
it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Dick most certainly was made an honorary Naval Aviator; back in 49 I think.
I don't know if he was the first, but there is a high probability that he
was. As you know I'm sure, the title carries a great deal of respect in the
Navy and they don't make people honoary Naval Aviators lightly :-)
He very well could have performed the car carrier stunt at some time in his
early career. We just never saw him do it in his regular J3 routine during
the time I knew him anyway.
Off hand I'd say that Dick could have done just about anything he wanted to
do in a light airplane. He was THAT good a stick!
Dudley Henriques

Availability of the book Darker shades of blue: the rogue pilot byTony Kern G. Sylvester Piloting 4 December 28th 06 12:15 AM
Shades of 51 Big John Piloting 14 September 18th 04 10:47 PM
Flying Magazine's Instrument Flying 1973 Steven P. McNicoll Instrument Flight Rules 16 January 12th 04 03:50 PM
Flying Magazine's Instrument Flying 1973 Steven P. McNicoll Aviation Marketplace 9 January 4th 04 02:24 AM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM