Harley powered airplane

Old December 12th 03, 02:50 PM
C.D.Damron

"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in message
QUESTION:
Why doesn't Harley Davidson make televisions?

Answer: Loud pipes may save lives, but they sure do drown out the volume

Old December 12th 03, 03:05 PM
Larry Smith

"Bushy" wrote in message
In motorcycle circles, aren't Harleys known more for their nostalga
and styling and less for their power to weight ratio?

No, they are known for having to have a ute (and a trailer cause there

will
be more than one!) follow the ride to bring home the broken ones. Unless

you
count the fancy new motordesigned in Germany they have a typical TBO of

400
hours.

Every Harley I know, is in pieces more often than it is riden.

Hope this helps,
Peter

The old panheads were not designed for durability. Neither were the
shovelheads. The blockheads, or evos, last longer, run cooler, have more
power to weight because they are much lighter -- with aluminum heads and
cylinders. I put 30k trouble-free miles on an 89 Evo before selling it to
a German for more than I paid for it new. So it's a good investment too.

I stopped once to help an old-timer from Loozeeanner replace his clutch
cable on a '69 shovelhead. He said the engine had over 80k miles on it and
all he had repaired on the engine was the clutch. The clutch cable we
replaced had been working for him since new. He also said he had gotten 20k
miles on an o-ring chain. He had bought his Harley new.

Who makes motorcycles in your country, and do you have a quality assurance
report to make on them?

Proud owner of a shovelhead and a panhead, both of which do fine and are
well-maintained.

Old December 12th 03, 10:53 PM
Model Flyer

"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in message
QUESTION:
Why doesn't Harley Davidson make televisions?

ANSWER:
They can't figure out how to make them leak oil.

Well the answer is quite easy, the power supplies in TV's have large
capacitors in them. All Harley TV's need to do is under rate them so
they will blow every now and then. This will spray the inside of the
set with OIL, nice smelly stuff. It will leak out all over the place
just like Harley owners desire.:-)
--
---
Cheers,

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
(Jay) wrote:

In motorcycle circles, aren't Harleys known more for their

nostalga
and styling and less for their power to weight ratio?

Oh, they're known for their power to weight ratio - it's lower

than
just about any other bike (with the exception of my bicycle of
course).

Mark Hickey

Old December 13th 03, 01:29 AM
George Vranek

I found, it's a pity to hide such a beauty among engines below a cowling.
Could you imagine an nostalgia aircraft, with the Harley motor on the nose
without any cowling, taking of in formation with a number of Harley drivers
in Oshkosh?
George
www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm

"Brett" wrote in message
om...
I built a Zenith 601 XL with a Harley motor. It took about 7 months to
build alot of that time figuring out the motor stuff. Then 3 mo.
waiting for the inspection. Well I just got my inspection done on the
9th and I took it up. WOW what a rush. You can see it at
www.hog-air.com

Old December 14th 03, 06:32 AM
Brett

It has a good bit of tourqe on take off. Just a bit of rudder.
We will be offering motor packages ranging from 80 hp to 115 hp.
But we won't sell any until I am done testing and I am satisfied with
the results. So far it I am very pleased. As for this motor it is
stock. I wanted to see how that worked first. Then from there the
power will only go up.
Old December 14th 03, 05:11 PM
sidk

The latest issue of "Contact!" magazine (issue 74) has a short article
re. HD engines for homebuilt.
Also, Utah State University has an HD-powered Wright Flyer replica
flying. see..
http://utahstatetoday.usu.edu/archiv...e-03-14-03.cfm
and
http://www.hardnewscafe.usu.edu/news/1210_wright.html

Sid Knox
Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
KR2 N24TC
W7QJQ

(Brett) wrote in message
..... Harley motor.

(big snip)
Old December 16th 03, 04:50 AM
Big John

MF

Three days out of hospital and roaring to go for a Merry Xmas and
Happy NY. May not last out '04 but will start out with a big bang G

My Indian leaked oil. Do think that is where HD got the idea?

Big John

Old December 17th 03, 06:13 AM
AL

Al Mills
Wake me before we take off...
"Bushy" [said] ... the fancy new motor designed in Germany they have a
typical TBO of 400
hours.

You talking about the V-Rod engine? That's from Italy, not Germany. The
HogAir pictures look like an Evolution engine to me, with some mods.

Al Mills
Wake me before we take off...

Old December 17th 03, 06:17 AM
AL

Did they take it out to Kill Devil Hills and fly it today? I mean today
being The Day, and all.

--
Al Mills
Wake me before we take off...
"sidk" wrote in message
om...
The latest issue of "Contact!" magazine (issue 74) has a short article
re. HD engines for homebuilt.
Also, Utah State University has an HD-powered Wright Flyer replica
flying. see..

http://utahstatetoday.usu.edu/archiv...e-03-14-03.cfm
and
http://www.hardnewscafe.usu.edu/news/1210_wright.html

Sid Knox
Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
KR2 N24TC
W7QJQ

(Brett) wrote in message
..... Harley motor.

(big snip)

Old December 17th 03, 11:16 AM
Big John

Al

Todays the day here and if they try take off on the hack, will be in
about 4 hours +/-.

Big John