Re; Nicos

Old December 26th 03, 02:43 AM
Bob Olds

Default Re; Nicos

I think you will find the nico-press sleeves for aircraft are STEEL,not aluminum.

Bob Olds
Charleston,Arkansas
Old December 26th 03, 03:03 AM
Ron Natalie

"Bob Olds" wrote in message m...
I think you will find the nico-press sleeves for aircraft are STEEL,not aluminum.

\I think you'll find that they come in:
Stainless steel
Copper, tin plated copper, and zinc plated copper.
and Aluminum.

The stainless ones are not that commonly used by homebuilders. They
require a lot of pressure to crimp and only used on stainless cables. Most
people use the copper-alloy/plated ones as appropriate for the cable
\

Old December 26th 03, 12:57 PM
Cy Galley

Unfortunately they are COPPER or COPPER with tin plating.

--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh
Editor, EAA Safety Programs

Always looking for articles for the Experimenter

m...

Old December 26th 03, 03:51 PM
Ron Natalie

"Cy Galley" wrote in message news:LhWGb.465476$Dw6.1374811@attbi_s02...
Mea Culpa! They are zinc not tin plated.
--

No you are right, for stainless cables they are tin plated. It's actually not the
tin plating that makes the difference here. They use a different copper alloy
Old December 26th 03, 04:47 PM
Drew Dalgleish

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:34:57 -0500, in rec.aviation.homebuilt you
wrote:

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message ...
At the local farm supply they're selling aluminum nico sleeves. Has
anyone had any experience using these ?

This is not surprising. The press type swaging for support/guy wires and wire
fencing long before people thought about using them in airplanes and boats.
I'd be careful that these are the ones designed for steel aircraft cable rather
than fence wire before risking my life on them.

The nicos were being sold beside the stainless and galvanized aircraft
cable. I'm not planning on risking my life to them but using them on
the check cables and drift cutters on the skis I'm building.
Drew
Old December 26th 03, 07:06 PM
Rich S.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Cy Galley" wrote in message

Mea Culpa! They are zinc not tin plated.
--

No you are right, for stainless cables they are tin plated. It's

actually not the
tin plating that makes the difference here. They use a different copper

alloy
in the tin plated version that's compatible with stainless (so says

National
Telephone, the owners of the Nicopress brand).

My thanks to all for the informative discussion. I am fabricating restraint
cables from the shoulder harness mounting back to the tailwheel. I had hoped
to get the pieces at Home Depot Aircraft Supplies, but ran into the aluminum
fittings. I'll wait until I can get to the Real Aircraft Store.

Rich S.

Old December 29th 03, 09:42 PM
William T Bartlett

I used to belong to a group that used a big levelwind reel, hooked to a 350
Chevy V8, to jerk a KA7 into the air. We had a 1000 M of 4mm cable that was
spliced with Al sleeves. we never had an Al sleeve fail, although we used to
break the cable fairly often. If I remember right all the control cables on
the KA7 were joined with Al sleeves. I think they are used on the late model
German glass planes too. With two swaged Al sleeves, I think you would break
the cable, before the sleeves failed.
Bill
m...

Old December 29th 03, 11:02 PM
Ron Natalie

"William T Bartlett" wrote in message . com...
I used to belong to a group that used a big levelwind reel, hooked to a 350
Chevy V8, to jerk a KA7 into the air. We had a 1000 M of 4mm cable that was
spliced with Al sleeves. we never had an Al sleeve fail, although we used to
break the cable fairly often. If I remember right all the control cables on
the KA7 were joined with Al sleeves. I think they are used on the late model
German glass planes too. With two swaged Al sleeves, I think you would break
the cable, before the sleeves failed.

You better check that the cable and the sleeves are compatible for the long haul.
The galvanized cable and stainless steel take different nicopress alloys.

Old December 30th 03, 01:19 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:02:26 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

"William T Bartlett" wrote in message . com...
I used to belong to a group that used a big levelwind reel, hooked to a 350
Chevy V8, to jerk a KA7 into the air. We had a 1000 M of 4mm cable that was
spliced with Al sleeves. we never had an Al sleeve fail, although we used to
break the cable fairly often. If I remember right all the control cables on
the KA7 were joined with Al sleeves. I think they are used on the late model
German glass planes too. With two swaged Al sleeves, I think you would break
the cable, before the sleeves failed.

You better check that the cable and the sleeves are compatible for the long haul.
The galvanized cable and stainless steel take different nicopress alloys.

I checked some different sites on this and found that aluminum sleeves
will only carry half the strenth of the cable while copper will
develop nearly full strength. Also AL and stainless don't get allong
with each other very well. I'm going to use copper or tin plated
sleeves.
Thanks for the help Drew Dalgleish