Landing light

Old October 19th 05, 01:15 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Default Landing light

ditto the recommendation for the product and "leave the lights on."

The price of install w/b less if the A/P has done it before. Mine hadn't :
I paid $$$ for their education.
--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
I have a friend with a 96 A-36 Bonanza, who keeps his Boom Beams on all the
time for enhanced visibility in the daytime. Since they have something
like a 5,000-hour life, he sees no reason not to.

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
Bob Chilcoat wrote:
Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.

I installed, with a field approval and the assistance of regular
contributor Jim Weir, a set of HID lights from RMD Aircraft.

Half the price for similar parts, and the suckers are BRIGHT.

Highly recommended, the installation was a snap.

-jav

Old October 19th 05, 02:54 AM
George Patterson

Michelle P wrote:
George,
I ran the standard lamp as a taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing
in the right aimed further out.

Yeah, I ran that way for a while. Put the spare quartz bulb in when the other
standard burned out. Big mistake.

I'd still stay with the standard on both sides if I had it to do again. I need
the light taxiing more than I do on final.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 19th 05, 04:09 AM
John Clonts

"George Patterson" wrote in message news:0Hh5f.11384$f02.8291@trndny02...
Michelle P wrote:
George,
I ran the standard lamp as a taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing in the right aimed further out.

Yeah, I ran that way for a while. Put the spare quartz bulb in when the other standard burned out. Big
mistake.

I'd still stay with the standard on both sides if I had it to do again. I need the light taxiing more than I
do on final.

Why was it a mistake?

Old October 19th 05, 04:13 AM
John Clonts

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:KR65f.255476$084.216133@attbi_s22...
I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker

Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.

Well, it's not a landing light, but rather landing LIGHTS. See:
http://alexisparkinn.com/skycraft_landing_lights.htm

We added them after becoming similarly disgusted with the stock landing light in our plane. These things
light up EVERYTHING like daytime!

I've currently got regular 4509 bulbs in them, but I just burned one out a couple of days ago (after MAYBE 25
hours of use), so I'm switching to the Q4509s (the quartz-halogen equivalent), which I've used successfully
for years in the nose.

I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try the quartz. But I noticed
Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for the GE), so I ordered a few of
those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old October 19th 05, 06:19 AM
tony roberts

My A&E tells me that field approval is almost impossible in Canada if
there is a similar product with STC.
He also tells me to expect to pay more than $5000.00 for field approval
if there isn't and STC'd product.
- apparently there is only one guy in all of BC who can sign off a
field approval.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old October 19th 05, 10:43 AM
Michelle P

Wider beam. I do not need to see one spot when taxing I need to see the
taxiway or more.
Michelle

tony roberts wrote:

Hi Michelle
Why not Quartz on both?
Is incandescent better for taxiing?
I would have thought that landing with the taxi and landing light on -
both quartz, would have given the most light.

Thanks

Tony

Old October 19th 05, 03:47 PM
Longworth

John Clonts wrote:

I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try the quartz. But I noticed
Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for the GE), so I ordered a few of
those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
--

John,
I have been using Galaxy brand for the last few years. I started out
trying the non-quartz which seemed to last as long as the GE (25hrs!).
Aircraft Spruce does sell Galaxy quartz version

11-02220 GALAXY 4509Q HALOGEN LAND LGT $19.85

I put one in at least 100hrs ago and it still works.

We intially did the same as Michelle (.. the standard lamp as a
taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing
in the right aimed further out) but got tired of changing the standard
lamp and have used Quartz for both. Rick likes to leave both lights on
all the time (!) so the Quartz versions work out well for us.

Hai Longworth

Old October 20th 05, 04:43 AM
John Clonts

"Longworth" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Clonts wrote:

I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try the quartz. But I noticed
Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for the GE), so I ordered a few of
those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
--

John,
I have been using Galaxy brand for the last few years. I started out
trying the non-quartz which seemed to last as long as the GE (25hrs!).
Aircraft Spruce does sell Galaxy quartz version

11-02220 GALAXY 4509Q HALOGEN LAND LGT $19.85

I put one in at least 100hrs ago and it still works.

AWESOME, I had missed that! Thanks, I'll try them!

John