Landing light

Old October 20th 05, 04:47 AM
John Clonts

Default Landing light

"John Clonts" wrote in message ...

"Longworth" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Clonts wrote:

I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try the quartz. But I noticed
Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for the GE), so I ordered a few
of
those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
--

John,
I have been using Galaxy brand for the last few years. I started out

11-02220 GALAXY 4509Q HALOGEN LAND LGT $19.85

I put one in at least 100hrs ago and it still works.

AWESOME, I had missed that! Thanks, I'll try them!

Spoke too soon, I need the 4591 (28v version)....

Old October 20th 05, 06:14 AM

I have installed a 4519 wide angle bulb(PAR 36 14V, 100W) along with a
Q4509. I find this gives the best of both worlds to those that have a
two landing light system. They both have a much longer service life
than the 4509. Also, you might consider using the Whelen 4509, the one
that costs $75. It has a life of 250 hrs which is 10 times as long as
the standard 4509. For those of you that have your mechanic replace the
bulbs, this could save money in the long run, as well as being alot les
of a pain to have to do all the time.

Regards,
Bruce Cunningham
N30464 C177A

tony roberts wrote:
I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
the usual ones.

I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker

Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old October 20th 05, 02:58 PM
George Patterson

John Clonts wrote:

Why was it a mistake?

As is the case with most aircraft, the landing lights are lined up to give good
illumination in the direction of flight. When a tailwheel aircraft is on the
ground that leaves the lights pointing at the sky. Maule solves this problem by
having aluminum mirrors over the lights. These reflect light down onto the
taxiway pretty well with the standard bulbs. The narrower beam of the quartz
bulbs doesn't hit the mirror. It's almost as bad as not having the lights on at all.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 21st 05, 05:17 AM
Kyler Laird

tony roberts writes:

Just got the reply from Lo Presti - it isn't STC'd for my model - 172H.

It was easy enough for me to get a field approval (PA-23-250) for it.

--kyler
Old October 22nd 05, 08:24 PM
The Visitor

http://www.rmdaircraft.com/hid.html

yes I have stuff on order from him, wingtips with HID!! I am looking
forward to it. His looks to be the nicest, I think he builds them for
knots2u people also.

Javier Henderson wrote:

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.

I installed, with a field approval and the assistance of regular
contributor Jim Weir, a set of HID lights from RMD Aircraft.

Half the price for similar parts, and the suckers are BRIGHT.

Highly recommended, the installation was a snap.

-jav

Old October 23rd 05, 06:16 AM
Javier Henderson

The Visitor wrote:

http://www.rmdaircraft.com/hid.html

yes I have stuff on order from him, wingtips with HID!! I am looking
forward to it. His looks to be the nicest, I think he builds them for
knots2u people also.

That is indeed the case.

I dealt with RMD directly, the owner, Bob DeBorde, was a pleasure to
work with.

-jav
Old October 23rd 05, 07:01 PM
The Visitor

Thanks, good to hear.
I await mine!!!
As for Bob, yes he is nice to deal with!

Old October 24th 05, 02:40 AM
tony roberts

Tony...have you tried cleaning your glasses? -or- taking off those
"photograys?"

But you told me that I wouldn't look cool without my shades!

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL