High Blood Pressure

Old April 2nd 05, 01:45 PM
Cockpit Colin

Well, we're gonna have a serious go at discerning the difference. Day One
of my new diet is complete -- lots of fruit and vegetables, very little
salt, no red meat. I feel positively *burp* fruity...

Nothing wrong with red meat as a protein source - just cut off the visable
fat. Fish / Chicken still rate slightly better though.

Good luck with it - let us know how you get on.

Just one thing to keep in mind - your body will always take the path of
least resistance when it comes to carbs (ie sugar) - it's no good eating
lots of meat / veges / fruit etc, then (for example) washing it down with a
Coke (or devouring a Moro bar if your peckish).

If you're doing it right you'll probably get a headache later in the day for
a couple of days as your body adjusts to the lower sugar levels - you often
lose around 10 pounds in the first week too, although around 80% of this is
water (1 part glycogon stored in the liver binds with around 4 parts water -
so as the glycogon is used up first the water "passes through" - and the
weight comes off - insulin levels drop - BP drops - less free radicles -
less sleep needed - more consistant energy - no indigestion - and less
farting!

Old April 2nd 05, 02:37 PM
Jay Honeck

Well, we're gonna have a serious go at discerning the difference. Day
One
of my new diet is complete -- lots of fruit and vegetables, very little
salt, no red meat. I feel positively *burp* fruity...

Good luck with it - let us know how you get on.

Well, I'm right at 184 pounds today, down from 192 (197 with clothes on at
the doctor's office).

I'm never hungry, because I'm absolutely stuffed with apples, pears and
bananas. Fruit, coffee, a vitamin C, and a multi-vitamin are what I
subsist on for breakfast and lunch. I then allow myself a "normal" dinner,
although I've tried to stick with salad bars and chicken.

The fresh lake perch Mary brought back from Wisconsin the other day was a
terrible, wonderful exception. ($23 a POUND that stuff is now -- and it
used to be considered a "cheap" meal, when I was a kid!) With sand-dollar
potatoes, and hush puppies. Mmmmmmm, grease... ;-)

One thing I've noticed -- I can't run as far without stopping. I can't run
a mile without walking, so I suppose my body is just not used to the lower
caloric intake yet. I hope it adapts soon -- it was positively embarrassing
at CAP the other night, when I ran a mile almost a full minute slower than I
did just two months ago!

Dunno. It's a neat way to diet, though, cuz (a) I'm never hungry, and (b) I
get a normal dinner, so I don't feel deprived.

I'll let you know if the BP improves as the fat melts away!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 3rd 05, 12:15 PM
Cockpit Colin

I admire the effort - but to be honest, I think your planning sounds a
little "hit and miss" at the moment. What lowers blood sugar levels - which
inturn lowers insulin levels - which in turn reverses the "sugar to fat"
storage process and lowers BP is low-glycemic-index food.

Aim for foods with a glycemic index of less than 50 (apples = good; bananas
= bad; off memory pears = bad too). Coffee has the same simulant effect as
sugar, so the more you drink of it, the more you're working against your
other efforts.

Most people don't realise how little effect green vegies and lean meat has
on metabolism - you could eat 2 chicken breasts and 5 cups of vegies 3 times
a day and still lose weight (and gain the other benefits).

If you're lacking energy then you're body is still trying to run on stores
of "easy fuel" - you first need to deplete the liver stores of excess
glycogon (which is what's happeneing - weight is dropping off (it's just
water)) - but your body hasn't adapted to processing the low-density carbs
yet (takes about 3 days) - what speeds up the process is being particularly
careful to stay away from "bad carbs" during this time

Old April 3rd 05, 12:43 PM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 00:45:39 +1200, "Cockpit Colin"
wrote:

you often
lose around 10 pounds in the first week too,

And then, without change in your diet, and after a month or six months
of stable weight, you begin to gain a pound a month until you weigh
slightly more than you did at the beginning.

The body is a very efficient mechanism for warding off starvation,
which it sees lurking arund every corner.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old April 3rd 05, 07:41 PM
George Patterson

Cockpit Colin wrote:

Coffee has the same simulant effect as
sugar, ....

Coffee, or caffeine?

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.