High Blood Pressure

Old March 23rd 05, 09:18 PM

Montblack,
You are right that "sodium, sodium, sodium" is everywhere.
Processed and restaurant foods are made for the average tastebuds which
favor high sodium content. Over the years, we have gradually weaned
ourselves from salty food to the point that we can no longer eat any
pre-processed food or enjoying dining out. In more than one occasions
where I could not eat some salty food only to see someone at the next
table shaking more salt on the exact dish.
Here is an interesting article on salt, the "Forgotten Killer"
http://www.cspinet.org/new/200502242.html

"Too much salt in the diet is boosting Americans' blood pressure and
is prematurely killing roughly 150,000 people each year.....Despite the
pleas of health experts to cut back, salt consumption has drifted
upward over the past 30 years to the point where Americans are now
consuming about 4,000 milligrams of sodium per day-about twice the
recommended amount"

Old March 23rd 05, 09:23 PM
Dave Butler

Dan Youngquist wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Jay Honeck wrote:

Here are the facts: BP is 155/85. Weight: 197. Height: 6'.
Exercise: 30 minutes every day. Family has a history of strokes and
high blood pressure.

There have been some studies indicating that Vitamins C & E can help
high blood pressure by improving the function of the heart & blood
vessels. Might be worth looking into. A good place to start would be to
plug the following into your favorite search engine:

"high blood pressure" "vitamin c" "vitamin e"

When you do that, you'll find that vitamin E has recently been found to be not
as effective as previously thought, and has some negative effects.

DGB
Old March 23rd 05, 09:31 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:
Well, I'm officially old. After watching my blood pressure slowly climb
over the last three years (strangely, the years we've owned the hotel --
coincidence? :-), my doctor has decided that my ineffective weight loss
efforts aren't going to do the trick.

Here are the facts: BP is 155/85. Weight: 197. Height: 6'. Exercise: 30
minutes every day. Family has a history of strokes and high blood pressure.

The good doctor says the elevated BP isn't being caused by my weight, which
isn't too far out of line for a 46 year old guy. (Although losing 15 pounds
would certainly help.) He has prescribed Vasotec for me, which *is* on the
AOPA's list of FAA approved medications, thankfully.

For those who have already been down this road, did this medication cause
any side effects? The doc says the most common one is a nagging cough, for
no known reason.

I'm there, too, Jay, but not quite as high as yours. My dr prescribed the DASH
eating plan: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/ I'm trying
to follow it, but it's not easy. Cutting the sodium down to the levels they
recommend has so far eluded me. Everything has sodium. You've got to read the
labels.

I'm sure reducing my sodium intake is helping even if I never get to the
recommended levels. I've lost a few lbs., and I think the BP has come down a
little, it's really hard to pick out trends because there's so much noise in the
signal. Anyway, the DASH thing seems pretty sensible, it wouldn't hurt to take a
look at it.

Good luck.

DGB
Old March 23rd 05, 09:35 PM
Montblack

("jsmith" wrote)
Is that the pot I hear calling the kettle black? :-))

Busted. Pot-bellied stove calling the kettle black - yup! g-irth .

My BP numbers are (just) below Jay's.
HbA1c (120 day) blood test is 6.5%. Could be lower but it's in the ok
percent.

(Healthy) HDL is a little low. Will come up with more exercise I'm told.
(Lousy) LDL is actually really quite good (thanks grandparents)

HOWEVER!!! Glucose tolerance test - preggers. But manageable w/o meds.

Now, that pesky weight....oh yeah, and something about sodium.

Mont[black]
(a.k.a. LA)

Old March 23rd 05, 09:52 PM
Paul kgyy

It's hard to find a circulatory system drug that doesn't have side
effects. You just have to experiment. I use a beta blocker
(atenolol), not primarily for HBP but for arrythmia but a very small
dose takes 10 points off BP. Only side effect is vivid dreams, not too
bad...;-)

Incidentally, the cholesterol theory of heart disease is pretty well
discredited these days. The cholesterol may actually be part of the
body's repair process for arteries damaged by unknown processes. Check
out www.thincs.org

Old March 23rd 05, 09:54 PM

Jay,

I'll second Dave recommendation. The DASH diet is very effective in
lowering BP. The key is sufficient calcium, magnesium and potassium
intake. And limit the sodium!

I also have some issues with BP. Mine is only high in the Dr. office.
At home it's around 130/75. I'm considering taking some flight lessons,
if I can scare up the $$$. I've been advised to get the medical out of
the way before the lessons. Wouldn't want to get held up in the event I
can't show a decent BP reading at the MD's office.

Cheers,
Mike

Old March 23rd 05, 10:06 PM
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Might be time for (dare I say) light beer Jay? :-) Oh no, now I've done
it, crossed serious line :-)

Hmmmm, does the pot calling the kettle black work too? ducking :-)

Mmm ...roasted duck at the Chines buffet.

I bet you ride your bike to work, don't you? Oh wait, you do. Well this
isn't going anywhere :-)

I'm the only (super-sized) one in the family - even cousins. (Adopted? I
always suspected)

Slightly less mass than last year's OSH, but not down by nearly enough -
yet.

Mont[black]

Old March 23rd 05, 10:40 PM
Jim Burns

So.... does this mean no OSH Pig?!!!
Jim

Old March 23rd 05, 11:32 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Well, I'm officially old. After watching my blood pressure slowly climb
over the last three years (strangely, the years we've owned the hotel --
coincidence? :-), my doctor has decided that my ineffective weight loss
efforts aren't going to do the trick.

Here are the facts: BP is 155/85. Weight: 197. Height: 6'. Exercise: 30
minutes every day. Family has a history of strokes and high blood pressure.

The good doctor says the elevated BP isn't being caused by my weight, which
isn't too far out of line for a 46 year old guy. (Although losing 15 pounds
would certainly help.) He has prescribed Vasotec for me, which *is* on the
AOPA's list of FAA approved medications, thankfully.

For those who have already been down this road, did this medication cause
any side effects? The doc says the most common one is a nagging cough, for
no known reason.

Thanks!

I had the same thing happen when I was 37 (I'm now 45). I started out
on Vasotec also as best I recall. I think this is in the class called
ACE inhibitors, right? I've taken a couple of different one's since
then, mainly due to requests by my insurance company, and am now taking
Atacand. I think most all of the ACE inhibitors are FAA approved and
I've never had a side-effect attributed to the BP meds. I've always
taken the smallest dose available and it has kept my BP under good control.

Matt
Old March 23rd 05, 11:33 PM
Matt Whiting

Rod Madsen wrote:

I'v been told that many BP meds cause erectile disfuntion. Maybe you can
give us a report on that?

I've never had a problem with any of the ACE inhibitors. :-)

Matt