Theft From Baggage-Continental

Old March 24th 05, 04:38 AM
Dave Stadt

"StellaStarr" wrote in message
news:RSp0e.100067$Ze3.43952@attbi_s51...
BTIZ wrote:
was there not a report.. that almost half of the TSA baggage screeners

had
criminal records?

BT

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?th...e5&print=ye s

According to this, even during the initial rush to beef up TSA staff,
applicants not only got an FBI fingerprint criminal-background check,
they got their education, references, and even their credit checked.

Real world did not support the TSA claims.

Old March 24th 05, 09:25 AM
Dale

In article ,
"Dave Stadt" wrote:

Because much of it now is opened and gone through before being put on the
airplane. They will break locks to get into luggage.

I haven't done a lot of flying since 9-11 but I've had no problem
locking my bag. I use wire-ties to secure the zippers. On my trip to
Maui TSA opened the bag containing my dive gear. They left a notice in
the bag saying it had been inspected and they secured the zippers with
wire-ties. I had no complaint.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old March 24th 05, 01:00 PM
Bob Moore

"Dave Stadt" wrote

Because much of it now is opened and gone through before being put on the
airplane. They will break locks to get into luggage.

Don't confuse the actions required by an airline and those required
by the TSA. If I'm running an airline, I'm certainly not going to
pay someone to rummage through your luggage.

Bob Moore
Old March 24th 05, 04:02 PM
Ross Richardson

Bob Moore wrote:

Ross Richardson wrote

Guess what, commerical airlines do not like locked luggage nowadays.

Why would an airline possibly care whether your luggage is
locked or not?

Bob Moore
Retired Airline Pilot

Well, I guess I did word that wrong. TSA....... I have been directly
told by TSA personnal that it is not a good idea to lock luggage.

Ross
Old March 24th 05, 04:32 PM
Jose

I suggest you follow up with the TSA about this incident.. because if your bags can be broken into in a "Secure" area and items removed, then they can also be broken into and have items placed there (a clear breach of security).

and how would you propose that he prove that the missing items were
originally in the bag?

Jose
--
Math is a game. The object of the game is to figure out the rules.
Old March 24th 05, 07:30 PM

Jose
There is the big rub. I've decided to just write it off in income tax
as a casualty loss of professional business equipment. Will try to
avoid that happening again but not sure how.....even the carriers like
UPS and FedX have their own unique problems. I just happened to get
burned on this one and needed to vent.
Best Regards
Ol SOB

Old March 24th 05, 07:48 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Ross Richardson wrote:

Guess what, commerical airlines do not like locked luggage nowadays.
What is one to do?

After the baggage is checked (international flights) everything gets zip
tied (color coded)... So far so good with the zippered bags, knock knock...

They ate the wheels off of a hard case on the last trip though...
Old March 24th 05, 10:07 PM
Ron

As a photographer, who flys often, a hard locked bag doesn't make it any
more.

My first flight after 911 had all my hard and soft cases returned with the
locks cut off. Upon questioning the inspectors they told me that all
luggage has to be opened and that locks would be cut if installed.

Since then there are locks that you can buy the supposedly let TSA in but
keep others out.

When possible I ship equipment FedEx to my hotel for shoots.

Occasionally that is not possible and TSA will sometimes let me apply locks
after they have inspected when the inspection area is not next to the ramp.

I recently flew to DCA and was surprised that I had a tougher time getting
out with my gear than in. I had 6 cases, between 62 and 91 lbs. None were
inspected into DCA, all were opened going out.

"Chris" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On a trip from PDX-HOU-GPT yesterday on Continental Airlines, my "Pubs
Bag" was stolen out of one of my checked bags. If any are familiar with
this kind of bag...about 14"X16"x4", it held much of my flight gear
such as GPS 12XL, Sectionals, plotter, Jep CR-5, flashlights, knife,
Leatherman, gloves, compass, signal mirror, and misc other small items.
Continental told me tough luck and none of it is covered. Sorry things
were stolen but they were not responsible. I asked, "Well, if that is
the case, all my baggage when flying with Continental should be in a
locked hard case"? The reply was "YES".
It would appear any commercial flights today fit into that same
catagory. What really ****es me off was some of that equipment has been
all over the world with me for many years. I'd imagine the value or
replacement for the bag and contents is in excess of $500.
Heads up if you are going to fly commercial anyplace.
Ol S&B

probably the TSA

Old March 25th 05, 03:56 AM
Jim Herring

For almost every hardside case I've seen the latches will pop open during rough
handling if not locked. If the TSA does have the keys to the usual luggage
locks out there they are not doing their job. I've got 30 year old keys that
work for the newer bags. Most of the key locks can be opened with a paper clip.

The TSA really has a problem with issue. I've been in some major foreign
airports where if they have an issue with the baggage they page you and then
you open the baggage in front of them. And, they do it before you get to the
metal detectors. Just how hard can that be in the USA? TSA is just lazy.

--
Jim

carry on

Continental IO-520A operating data? Michael Owning 7 November 26th 04 08:38 PM
Australia only Continental 0-200 or 0-240 Robert Home Built 0 May 20th 04 04:07 AM
looking for a baggage door handle for a Baron/Bonanza Baron Man Aviation Marketplace 0 May 11th 04 08:38 PM
Continental 0-200 Robert Home Built 0 April 3rd 04 03:08 AM
Continental Airlines Complaint - A Newspaper article John B. Piloting 40 October 21st 03 04:07 PM