Would you go?

Old April 3rd 05, 01:31 PM
Dan Luke

Default Would you go?

You have to take off at dawn to pick up an Angel Flight patient 200
miles away, so you call the FBO the night before to have the airplane
pulled out and fueled.

When you arrive at the airport, you find the fuel truck parked in front
of the airplane, blocking it. The FBO is locked up and no one's around.
Checking the gauges reveals that fuel has been added. You call the
FBO's number, but all you can do is leave a message on the answering
machine asking what's going on.

It's time to go; you could push the plane away from the truck and taxi
away, but now you're wondering: did they block it for a reason? Is the
fuel contaminated? Did someone notice something dangerous about the
plane that you don't see? Did you forget to pay your fuel bill?
What???

In the event, I did an extra careful preflight, took large fuel samples,
did an extended run-up and took off with no problems. Would you have?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 3rd 05, 02:00 PM
Jay Honeck

It's time to go; you could push the plane away from the truck and taxi
away, but now you're wondering: did they block it for a reason? Is the
fuel contaminated? Did someone notice something dangerous about the plane
that you don't see? Did you forget to pay your fuel bill? What???

In the event, I did an extra careful preflight, took large fuel samples,
did an extended run-up and took off with no problems. Would you have?

I would assume that the line-guy brain farted and forgot to move the truck
after fueling.

I would have departed, same as you.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 3rd 05, 02:13 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
I would assume that the line-guy brain farted and forgot to move the
truck after fueling.

It would have been a quarter-mile walk back to the FBO.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 3rd 05, 02:42 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 07:31:42 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

[...]

Based upon a successful preflight, I would have went, but I would have
tried harder to track down the FBO's manager or owner to ask WTF?
Old April 3rd 05, 02:50 PM
Dan Thompson

Since there are a thousand more clear ways to communicate that there is
something wrong with the plane or fuel, I would assume the truck's placement
was the result of something else and make the flight.

Old April 3rd 05, 03:35 PM
Dan Luke

Truck broke?

Yep: starter busted.

Old April 3rd 05, 03:38 PM
Dan Luke

"Dan Thompson" wrote:
Since there are a thousand more clear ways to communicate that there
is something wrong with the plane or fuel, I would assume the truck's
placement was the result of something else and make the flight.

That was my guess, that they probably would have at least left a note.
But that's assuming good sense on the part of the late shift line guy, a
very shaky assumption at best.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 3rd 05, 06:16 PM
Andrew Gideon

Dan Luke wrote:

That was my guess, that they probably would have at least left a note.
But that's assuming good sense on the part of the late shift line guy, a
very shaky assumption at best.

Considering where he left the broken truck, he appears to be making your
point for you.

- Andrew

Old April 3rd 05, 07:23 PM
Andrew Sarangan

There are much more obvious ways to ground an airplane than to park a
truck in front of it. They could have telephoned you, or left you a
note. In our club, we ground an airplane by tying a rag on the prop,
writing a note in the aircraft tachsheet, and calling the crew chief for
that aircraft. Parking a car in front of the hanger is only going to
**** someone off.

"Dan Luke" wrote in
: