Landing Frequency (USA Pilots)

Old August 12th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Landing Frequency (USA Pilots)

All -

How many of you in the USA use the same frequency when flying cross-
country as in the traffic-pattern?
(i.e. you _don't_ switch frequencies when you're returning to the
airport and preparing to land)

As an alternate way to ask the same question: How many soaring sites
have you been to, where they didn't have a separate frequency for
landing traffic?

[this may seem like an odd question, but I have a good reason for
asking]

Thanks,

--Noel

Old August 12th 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 12, 2:08*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
All -

How many of you in the USA use the same frequency when flying cross-
country as in the traffic-pattern?
(i.e. you _don't_ switch frequencies when you're returning to the
airport and preparing to land)

It depends on the site and the nature of the flight.

Non sanctioned contest operations at a site with a designated unicom
frequency will often have the glider and tug on unicom for takeoff and
tow, and the glider on unicom for landing. Glider pilots may switch
to another frequency after climbing well above the typical maximum tow
altitude and then stay on that frequency for cross country flight.

At the same site with a sanctioned contest in progress all contest
operations will normally be on 123.3 with someone on the ground
monitoring unicom.

What is important is that the tug and the glider are on the same
frequency during the tow and that the same frequency is being used by
gliders in the local area except when well above the maximum tow
altitude.

For our club contests at a local FBO with a designated unicom
frequency we usually check in on the contest frequency after climbing
off tow by saying our contest number. We also announce on the contest
frequency before switching to unicom when about 10 miles out on final
glide.

So to answer your question - I do, but not always.

Andy

Old August 13th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fcnorton

Here is my experience.

Only once in the last four years and that was at the Air Sailing
Sports Class Contest last month...only during the contest. Normal
operations they are separate.

All the other sites I've flow in Aguila, Warner Springs, Hemet,
Elsinore, Sedona, Cal City, Crystal they are different frequencies.

FC Norton

Old August 13th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

On Aug 12, 4:08*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
All -

How many of you in the USA use the same frequency when flying cross-
country as in the traffic-pattern?
(i.e. you _don't_ switch frequencies when you're returning to the
airport and preparing to land)

As an alternate way to ask the same question: *How many soaring sites
have you been to, where they didn't have a separate frequency for
landing traffic?

[this may seem like an odd question, but I have a good reason for
asking]

Thanks,

--Noel

Outside of departure and arrival, I only dial into the "home"
frequency when I'm in the vicinity (maybe a 5 mile radius). Away from
home (and other airfields), I generally monitor 123.3. If I pass by
other airports close enough, I'll dial in the frequency and announce
my presence. Although only if I'm a bit low.
Old August 13th 10, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Aug 12, 7:30*pm, Westbender wrote:
[...]

Our club site uses 123.3 for local operations. When several pilots
are out on XC they often switch to 123.5 for conversation.

In the local area many GA training aircraft are using 122.75 to give
position reports in the practice areas. I often switch over to listen
to position reports and to give one myself.

We are also just outside a Class D airspace and when we overfly or
come in close we contact them too.

On the very rare days when we are able to fly higher and further I
talk to the local approach control if I am approaching any victor
airways, or instrument approach courses.

It can get quite busy when the radio doesn't have a standby function!

Just a note: I teach in the area for both power and glider students.
I'm very familiar with all the local frequencies as well as the area
in general. If I was at some location with less familiarity I would
probably be less inclined to try to do all that radio switching. Only
the basic Unicom or tower and what ever common frequency the local
gliders were using.
Old August 13th 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I generally land once per flight.
Old August 13th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hoppe

On Aug 13, 9:31*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I generally land once per flight.

Generally?
Old August 13th 10, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

I've been known to get 2-3 per landing!
Old August 13th 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Aug 13, 6:16*pm, Bob wrote:
I've been known to get 2-3 per landing!

Thats per flight!

Spitpics : Seafire landing accident 29 Jun '44, HMS Atheling, killing both pilots and 3 deck crew Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 March 31st 07 08:24 AM
approach Frequency AliR Piloting 10 July 7th 05 06:08 PM
KT-76A frequency Ray Godwin Owning 3 March 12th 04 03:42 AM
Too many pilots in the cockpit spoil the landing... Gene Seibel Piloting 33 November 3rd 03 12:04 AM
Angel Flight pilots: Ever have an FBO refuse to wave landing fees? Peter R. Piloting 11 August 2nd 03 01:20 AM