#JWGC August 7 - US Pilots

Old August 7th 17, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default #JWGC August 7 - US Pilots

On line tracking for JWGC Club class today. 263 km racing task. Expected 1st launch 12:00 local (Lithuania) time:
http://jwgc.onglide.com/current-day.xml?class=club
Old August 7th 17, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Task change on the grid to a 257 km racing task. The first task was sending us to an area that would get washed out about the time all the pilots got there. We are just going to Poland and back now.
Old August 7th 17, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 4:28:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On line tracking for JWGC Club class today. 263 km racing task. Expected 1st launch 12:00 local (Lithuania) time:
http://jwgc.onglide.com/current-day.xml?class=club

Just out of curiosity: is the tracking system based on FLARM data or do they all carry an additional tracker? I am just baffled by the resolution and refresh rate of the tracking site compared to what I have seen from US contests.
Uli
'AS'
Old August 7th 17, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Smith[_6_]

The website interface is Melissa's onglide -
http://www.onglide.com/compsite.xml
and it is just flarm tracking using open glider network receivers,

but hen we have a few more than you guys,
http://live.glidernet.org/#c=53.0155...=r&o=1&s=1&l=a
r&w=0&u=i

http://live.glidernet.org/#c=36.6870...m=r&o=1&s=1&l=
ar&w=0&u=i

Old August 7th 17, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

wrote:
On line tracking for JWGC Club class today. 263 km racing task.

Expected 1st launch 12:00 local (Lithuania) time:
http://jwgc.onglide.com/current-day.xml?class=club

Just out of curiosity: is the tracking system based on FLARM data or do
they all carry an additional tracker? I am just baffled by the resolution
and refresh rate of the tracking site compared to what I have seen from

US
contests.
Uli
'AS'

You don't need a FLARM to be tracked; a simple OGN tracker can be made for about $50US so the cost of playing is less than FLARM (though without the benefits of anti-collision warnings).

You can see the ranges the OGN receivers get in the Ottawa area (3 clubs have receivers and I'm about to put one on my soon-to-be new roof in the west end to cover off the western flying area). We also bring a portable to Lake Placid wave camp - you can see the returns from last year:
http://ognrange.onglide.com/#,max,al...900ff,circles;
You can see the Ottawa and Montreal Terminal areas; only a few gliders have transponders and can easily transit the Class C (in the upper right, select "Options" and select "Airspace" to see our problem - also, we cannot cross the border to those nice clouds near Ogdensburg NY). Pretty amazing for simple (cheap) receivers and a FLARM transmit signal of one (Portable) or two (CORE) hundredths of a watt!
For information, look at http://wiki.glidernet.org/ .
Old August 7th 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Daniel and Noah 4th and 5th today. JP fell off the convergence line at just the wrong time and still came home 14th. Good day for team USA
Old August 7th 17, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 10:12:21 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Daniel and Noah 4th and 5th today. JP fell off the convergence line at just the wrong time and still came home 14th. Good day for team USA

Just curious: In the standard class results for Task 5/August 7 there is a penalty: "VC - Towing: early release. First offence - warning."

Is there a minimum altitude they are allowed to release at, or is it about a distance from the start or an area assigned for release? Anybody knows in this specific case and competition?
Old August 8th 17, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 5:12:19 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Is there a minimum altitude they are allowed to release at, or is it
about a distance from the start or an area assigned for release?
Anybody knows in this specific case and competition?

In many/most competition rules release must be at a specified altitude.
Reason being if you get off early (even in great lift), you're now
a traffic hazard in the (for large contests very dense) towing pattern.
When the towing is done properly and everyone delivered into a
thermal just at release altitude, the traffic hazard is greatly reduced.
In a contest with 100 gliders this is a big deal! And even with 30...

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old August 8th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Monday, 7 August 2017 17:05:45 UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 5:12:19 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Is there a minimum altitude they are allowed to release at, or is it
about a distance from the start or an area assigned for release?
Anybody knows in this specific case and competition?

In many/most competition rules release must be at a specified altitude.
Reason being if you get off early (even in great lift), you're now
a traffic hazard in the (for large contests very dense) towing pattern.
When the towing is done properly and everyone delivered into a
thermal just at release altitude, the traffic hazard is greatly reduced.
In a contest with 100 gliders this is a big deal! And even with 30...

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

What Dave said but here are the bloody details from FAI rules http://www.fai.org/igc-documents

I have not read the local procedures

Rule from Annex A

7.3.3 Release Areas Release areas and towing patterns shall be described in the Local Procedures. The release areas shall be clearly separated and positioned in a way that makes it possible to establish safe and efficient towing patterns.

The standard release height or altitude shall be given in the Local Procedures and may be modified at Briefing.
a. Each release area should normally be used by one class at a time.
b. Pilots shall not release until after the tow pilot has rocked the wings of the towplane. Pull-ups before releasing are prohibited.
c. The Organisers shall ensure that the release areas and the release altitudes for launching are selected to enable competitors to land safely on the contest site for a relaunch, after allowing adequate time and altitude to search for lift after release.
d. The Organisers may establish areas around the contest site within which
continuous circling is prohibited or is permitted in one direction only. The
rules regarding circling in the vicinity of the contest site must be stated in the Local Procedures

Penalties (formatting is screwy)

Type of Offence First Offence Subsequent Offence Max Penalty

Towing: early or late release Warning (n-1) x 25 pts Disqualification
Towing: pull-up before release Warning Day Disqual. Disqualification
Old August 8th 17, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 6:22:40 PM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:
[...]

Yeah, thanks, I have found it myself, too. Actually, rule 7.3.3.b seems to transfer all the responsibility to the tow pilot: "Pilots shall not release until after the tow pilot has rocked the wings of the towplane."