Cloth For Canopy Cover

Old August 12th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_27_]

Default Cloth For Canopy Cover

I would like to make a cover for the canopy to put on while it's in
the trailer. I've seen cloth that is cotton-like on the outside, but
soft on the inside. Anybody have a name handy on this material that
would be the ideal cloth to use when sewing a cover?

Thanks,
John
Old August 12th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 12, 10:37*am, John wrote:
I would like to make a cover for the canopy to put on while it's in
the trailer. *I've seen cloth that is cotton-like on the outside, but
soft on the inside. *Anybody have a name handy on this material that
would be the ideal cloth to use when sewing a cover?

I don't have an answer for you but my canopy covers, one home made and
one OEM supplied, have been made from a cotton knit that is very
similar to heavy weight T shirt material.

Why do you want to have a cover on in the trailer? I never do.

Andy
Old August 12th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 12, 1:37*pm, John wrote:
I would like to make a cover for the canopy to put on while it's in
the trailer. *I've seen cloth that is cotton-like on the outside, but
soft on the inside. *Anybody have a name handy on this material that
would be the ideal cloth to use when sewing a cover?

Thanks,
John

Get a Ridge Sewing cover. Iris does a great job.
You will be glad you did.
UH
Old August 12th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

I would like to make a cover for the canopy to put on while it's in
the trailer. *I've seen cloth that is cotton-like on the outside, but
soft on the inside. *Anybody have a name handy on this material that
would be the ideal cloth to use when sewing a cover?

I know your looking for DIY recommendations, but I can't recommend
these covers enough: http://www.easycanopycovers.com/ Easy on/off,
unmatched at keeping heat out, can open/close canopy with it on and
leave it there till launch where it can be self-extracted while
buckled/chute'd, look super cool etc...

I leave mine on my canopy when it's in it's trailer, as long as I'm
not driving it of course. In motion my canopy is always nekid. I have
a Ridge Sewing cover too, and it's great, but a thick/heavy weather
cover for tying out. I try to put it on and take it off as little as
possible due to accumulative abrasion damage, but my Platinum Cap goes
on and off with little friction since it's so lightwight. Best $115
you can spend on your ship IMO.

-Paul
Old August 12th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Aug 12, 11:52*am, sisu1a wrote:
[...]

Those are fine for 1 piece canopies. For gliders like the Kestrel,
Speed Astir, and others with a fixed front section, they're not so
helpful. I can understand why someone would want one to leave on when
the glider is in the trailer too. The dust that you can accumulate in
the trailer going down a dirt road can substantial. In my case, there
is a drip point in the trailer for condesation or rain that is right
over my canopy.
Old August 12th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 12, 12:04*pm, Grider Pirate wrote:
[...]

The Platinum canopy covers are actually not really good for dust
protection. They are a metalized open weave Lycra and the dust will go
right through them. They are fantastic at keeping the cockpit cool and
I'll put mine on after cleaning the canopy and then take it off just
before flight. And I am careful to keep it clean and dust free. It is
easy for these style covers to get dusty and then covering your newly
cleaned canopy with one can put the dust back you just cleaned off.
Dust washes out of them fine with a simple hand wash. They are just
fantastic covers for keeping the cockpit cool before flight, but for
tiedown/overnight I'd use my Jaxida or just leave the cover off. I'm
not sure of the benefit of leaving a platinum cap type cover on a
glider in the trailer is. In my trailer it would just be getting dust
into the cover that I'd then have to clean.

Darryl
Old August 12th 10, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

John,

More than likely the material you are looking for is the cotton/poly
fleece that they make sweatshirts and sweatpants from. It's a knit
fabric with stretch in both directions. I have one that the previous
owner made for my glider. Not sure what you have, but I'd be willing
to send you my old one for the cost of shipping. It fits the ASW19/20/
Pegasus aircraft. It's pretty stretchy so it might fit other types as
well.

I now have a platinum canopy cap that I use to keep the cockpit cool,
and a Ridge sewing cover for when I tie it out. That is really the
best system. But it took me a few years of saving up to change over to
that.

-Kevin
Old August 12th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

On Aug 12, 10:37*am, John wrote:
I would like to make a cover for the canopy to put on while it's in
the trailer. *I've seen cloth that is cotton-like on the outside, but
soft on the inside. *Anybody have a name handy on this material that
would be the ideal cloth to use when sewing a cover?

Thanks,
John

Probably easy to just buy a microfiber towel/sheet from an auto store
and make one out of that....same material that you would use to buff a
canopy in the first place.

Old August 13th 10, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 12, 10:37*am, John wrote:
I would like to make a cover for the canopy to put on while it's in
the trailer. *I've seen cloth that is cotton-like on the outside, but
soft on the inside. *Anybody have a name handy on this material that
would be the ideal cloth to use when sewing a cover?

Thanks,
John

My home made dust cover is made from poly/cotton fleece available at
any fabric store. It is the same fabric that sweat shirts are made of.
I install it every time she goes in the trailer.

Dan Fitzgerald
Old August 14th 10, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_27_]

On Aug 12, 11:36*pm, "
wrote:
On Aug 12, 10:37*am, John wrote:

I would like to make a cover for the canopy to put on while it's in
the trailer. *I've seen cloth that is cotton-like on the outside, but
soft on the inside. *Anybody have a name handy on this material that
would be the ideal cloth to use when sewing a cover?

Thanks,
John

My home made dust cover is made from poly/cotton fleece available at
any fabric store. It is the same fabric that sweat shirts are made of.
I install it every time she goes in the trailer.

Dan Fitzgerald

Thanks for all the hints - the ~easy cover is on my list to purchase -
just looking for an affordable cover when not waiting in the sun - I
think I have a good idea on material to look for. I've got a
volunteer seamstress, so it's just a matter of picking the material
out for the "non-flying" cover. Again -thanks for all the responses -
I guess I won't use that old blue tarp or piece of canvas to throw
over it ;-)

John

Remove layer of cloth/Gelcoat glider[_2_] Soaring 1 February 9th 10 07:39 PM
W&W canopy cover? Gary Emerson Soaring 5 April 1st 08 07:19 AM
cloth helmet Yann D. Aerobatics 2 August 24th 07 10:40 PM
vor, altimeter, 100 feet of carbon fiber cloth [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 February 8th 05 05:37 PM
canopy cover material? ken ward Soaring 0 March 8th 04 05:23 AM