Transponder check

Old June 7th 19, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Transponder check

I obediently had my Trig 22 two-yearly check done today. The tech brought out his hand-held device, and the check was done. 10mins and $200.

Musing on this cost, which was more than my last annual, it occurred to me, that the previous day I had obtained a free FAA report on my adsb/transponder in flight, which was satisfactory.
Old June 7th 19, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 5:53:51 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I obediently had my Trig 22 two-yearly check done today. The tech brought out his hand-held device, and the check was done. 10mins and $200.

Musing on this cost, which was more than my last annual, it occurred to me, that the previous day I had obtained a free FAA report on my adsb/transponder in flight, which was satisfactory.

I know the feeling, but the equipment is expensive to purchase and upgrade when necessary. I don't think anyone is getting wealthy doing transponder checks.

Mike
Old June 7th 19, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7:53:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
it occurred to me, that the previous day I had obtained a free FAA report on my adsb/transponder in flight, which was satisfactory.

In another thread, a 'known to be knowledgeable person' said that the obligatory 'transponder check' tests things that are not tested by the Public ADS-B Performance Report.

On a related note, does ADS-B out report the GPS altitude, the pressure altitude reported by the transponder or both? I assume that a Mode-S transponder is still talking to TCAS systems and not using GPS altitude. What happens when the pressure altitude from the transponder disagrees with the GPS altitude? Would this allow the transponder to detect a blocked static port or bum pressure sensor?

My 'transponder check' was done inside a metal hangar building, so there was no GPS altitude available to compare to the pressure sensor altitude.

Old June 7th 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 8:20:22 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
[...]

At Chicago Glider Club, every club and most private gliders have transponders. We all take the test together every 2 years and the charge has been $100. The avionics shop comes out to our field with 2 technicians and 2 test rigs and they do about 20 gliders and power (tow) planes in a couple of hours. See if you can negotiate such a deal, the cost should come down. Also, insist for them to do a VFR test that does NOT include to take the altimeter to 10,000' and to calibrate it.
Old June 7th 19, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 4:53:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I obediently had my Trig 22 two-yearly check done today. The tech brought out his hand-held device, and the check was done. 10mins and $200.

Musing on this cost, which was more than my last annual, it occurred to me, that the previous day I had obtained a free FAA report on my adsb/transponder in flight, which was satisfactory.

I have a "hand Held Device" and will only charge $50.00
Old June 7th 19, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 6:20:22 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7:53:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
it occurred to me, that the previous day I had obtained a free FAA report on my adsb/transponder in flight, which was satisfactory.

In another thread, a 'known to be knowledgeable person' said that the obligatory 'transponder check' tests things that are not tested by the Public ADS-B Performance Report.

On a related note, does ADS-B out report the GPS altitude, the pressure altitude reported by the transponder or both? I assume that a Mode-S transponder is still talking to TCAS systems and not using GPS altitude. What happens when the pressure altitude from the transponder disagrees with the GPS altitude? Would this allow the transponder to detect a blocked static port or bum pressure sensor?

Both. You can see that reported in the FAA PAPR. "Baro Alt" is obvious.. "Geo Alt" is the GPS altitude... be too obvious to just call that "GPS Alt".

Enough disagreement and I believe it will get red flagged in the PAPR. In practice nothing is really using the GPS altitude,

Old June 7th 19, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Both. You can see that reported in the FAA PAPR. "Baro Alt" is obvious.. "Geo Alt" is the GPS altitude... be too obvious to just call that "GPS Alt".

Enough disagreement and I believe it will get red flagged in the PAPR. In practice nothing is really using the GPS altitude,

Daryl, what's measured in the $200 inspection that isn't in the PAPR?

Old June 8th 19, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I recently installed Trig-22, TN-72 in my glider and passed ground test. After 3 competition days I pulled free FAA reports- two days are fine and in one day I have red value in NIC column (integrity and accuracy) of 0.41% fail. PAPR user guide does not say much what can be cause of this fail. Is anyone experienced willing to help evaluate failed report? Should I turn off TN-72 on my panel even only 0,42% in one flight was faulty(red) report out of 3 flights of 13 hours? Thank you. pavel
Old June 8th 19, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 6:36:22 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I recently installed Trig-22, TN-72 in my glider and passed ground test. After 3 competition days I pulled free FAA reports- two days are fine and in one day I have red value in NIC column (integrity and accuracy) of 0.41% fail. PAPR user guide does not say much what can be cause of this fail. Is anyone experienced willing to help evaluate failed report? Should I turn off TN-72 on my panel even only 0,42% in one flight was faulty(red) report out of 3 flights of 13 hours? Thank you. pavel

It was probably because you were in a bad ADS-B reception area, this is common I would not worry about it.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old June 8th 19, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sandy Coleman

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 7:36:22 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I recently installed Trig-22, TN-72 in my glider and passed ground test. After 3 competition days I pulled free FAA reports- two days are fine and in one day I have red value in NIC column (integrity and accuracy) of 0.41% fail. PAPR user guide does not say much what can be cause of this fail. Is anyone experienced willing to help evaluate failed report? Should I turn off TN-72 on my panel even only 0,42% in one flight was faulty(red) report out of 3 flights of 13 hours? Thank you. pavel

Search for "transponder 2 year check". Look at the May 9 posts. The answer is there as well as an offer to evaluate the report. One thing PAPR cannot measure is power out at the antenna.

Please do not turn off your GPS for the transponder! You may become invisible to aircraft with ADS-B in.