New Vintage Category ???

Old March 27th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default New Vintage Category ???

From today's AvWeb:
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/602-full.html#191860
EAA Proposes New Vintage Category

"Earl Lawrence, EAA's vice president of industry and regulatory affairs,
says too much time and money is spent trying to comply with regulations that
do nothing to improve the safety of aging aircraft, and in fact, the current
rules have become an impediment to safety. "We need a different system," he
told AVweb on Saturday. EAA and the Vintage Aircraft Association have asked
the FAA to create a new category for vintage aircraft, Lawrence said.
"Aircraft flown by private owners in low-stress, personal flying need to be
able to modernize. We need to make it easier for owners to maintain their
aircraft and keep them safe while cutting down on paperwork." The FAA liked
the proposal, he said. It would make their work easier, and enable them to
use their limited resources more efficiently. But that doesn't mean change
will happen overnight. A 10- to 12-year time frame would not surprise
anyone, Lawrence said."

Offering Owners Of Old Airplanes A Choice

"In their proposal for a new vintage category, EAA and the VAA said that
such aircraft would not be limited in size or complexity; Part 43
airworthiness regulations would still apply; the installation of parts and
items that are not PMA- or TSO-compliant would be allowed; and aircraft in
the new category would lose any privileges to carry persons or property for
hire. The owner would have the option to transfer to the new category or
not. No specific age limits were proposed."

[Me again]
It would be nice if at some point (30 years?) the plane would be considered
a homebuilt - it's yours, do what you want with it!

"30 years of oversight, our job is done. Now it's up to the pilot/owner" -
FAA.

Yeah, that'll happen ...in about 30 years! :-)

Montblack

Old March 27th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:02:10 -0600, "Montblack"
wrote:

From today's AvWeb:
[...]

well it's already happened in Canada. Most vintage aircraft qualify
for the owner-maintenance category.
Old March 27th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

("Drew Dalgleish" wrote)
well it's already happened in Canada. Most vintage aircraft qualify for
the owner-maintenance category.

What are the "vintage" years in the Canadian Regs?

Beside owner-maintenance, what can a vintage aircraft owner (in Canada) do
to their plane?

....anything that a 51% homebuilt owner (in the US) can do the theirs?

Montblack

Old March 27th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:45:09 -0600, "Montblack"
wrote:

("Drew Dalgleish" wrote)
well it's already happened in Canada. Most vintage aircraft qualify for
the owner-maintenance category.

What are the "vintage" years in the Canadian Regs?

Beside owner-maintenance, what can a vintage aircraft owner (in Canada) do
to their plane?

...anything that a 51% homebuilt owner (in the US) can do the theirs?

Montblack

well it depends. The aircraft has to be unsupported and less than a
certain percentage in commercial use. It's been a while since I read
up on it but there's lots of info here.

http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm
Old March 28th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

("Drew Dalgleish" wrote)
well it depends. The aircraft has to be unsupported and less than a
certain percentage in commercial use. It's been a while since I read up on
it but there's lots of info here.

http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm

[I found this.....]

COPA Guide to the Owner-Maintenance Category - HTML format MS Word format
PDF format

This guide explains the background and regulations governing the
Owner-Maintenance Aircraft Category. It includes everything you need to know
to put an aircraft in the O-M category.
COPA Member paper copy price $10.00. Non-member price: $15.00

[........site requires membership and password]

Montblack

Old March 28th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"Montblack" wrote in message
From today's AvWeb:
[...]

This proposal is half way there but be careful what you ask for, you might
get it. Experimental category is not nirvina.

Old March 28th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Dave Stadt wrote:
"Montblack" wrote in message
From today's AvWeb:
[...]

It seems like doing that would affect the value of the airplane. It
gives a future buyer the idea that shoddy maintenance was used, and
prevents it from ever going into leaseback service.

Make no mistake, I'd be for it if it meant we could get modern avionics
for a change, such as:

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/elitemain.php
Old March 28th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

30 years? That would be everything 1976 and earlier, which is 1/2 the
training fleet!!!

Old March 28th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:03:51 -0600, "Montblack"
wrote:

("Drew Dalgleish" wrote)
well it depends. The aircraft has to be unsupported and less than a
certain percentage in commercial use. It's been a while since I read up on
it but there's lots of info here.

http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm

[I found this.....]

COPA Guide to the Owner-Maintenance Category - HTML format MS Word format
PDF format

This guide explains the background and regulations governing the
Owner-Maintenance Aircraft Category. It includes everything you need to know
to put an aircraft in the O-M category.
COPA Member paper copy price $10.00. Non-member price: $15.00

[........site requires membership and password]

Montblack

opps I get logged on automatically. try looking here instead

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/Re...az2-mar02R.htm

Old March 28th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave Stadt" wrote

This proposal is half way there but be careful what you ask for, you might
get it. Experimental category is not nirvina.

Just curious; what do you see as drawbacks to the proposal?
--
Jim in NC

New Vintage Category ??? Montblack Piloting 19 March 28th 06 09:32 PM
Vintage Sailplanes at Elmira, Aug 20-27 [email protected] Soaring 5 August 22nd 05 02:16 PM
Sport Pilot PaulaJay1 Owning 23 January 9th 05 03:28 AM
Light Sport Aircraft Willard Home Built 25 January 8th 05 05:11 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM