more horsepower

Old March 20th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default more horsepower

hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
less putting a bigger engine in it....

Old March 20th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

With the floats, you can go to a bigger prop, with a flatter
pitch to allow higher RPM at take-off speeds, but top speed
will be reduced slightly because you won't be able to have
as high a manifold pressure without over-revving the engine.
If your O-300 has a constant speed prop option (hollow crank
or perhaps an electric prop) you would gain better take-off
power and cruise speed.

The O-300 C172 is pretty old and float operating is a high
stress operation. You might be better off finding a C172
with the factory float mods and structural bracing/upgrades.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old March 20th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
less putting a bigger engine in it....

How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more
HP.
I can't think of the name, right now.

Powerflow? I've heard they're good, but I don't think they increase
horsepower *that* much!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 20th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote
How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more
HP. I can't think of the name, right now.

Powerflow? I've heard they're good, but I don't think they increase
horsepower *that* much!

He must mean the ones for the P-51. g

Old March 20th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote in message

"T-Bone" wrote in message
oups.com...
hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
less putting a bigger engine in it....

How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more
HP.
I can't think of the name, right now.
--
Jim in NC

155 horse? Maybe with a blower and a NOS kit!

DW

Old March 20th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

"T-Bone" wrote in message
oups.com...

hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
less putting a bigger engine in it....

How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more HP.

That's funny, 155 more hp on a 172.
Old March 20th 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

turbocharger system?

"Morgans" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old March 20th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've not seen any O300 powerflow exhausts, they're more common on
Lycomings. You're not going to get more horses out of an O300. If
you're serious about needing them, you'll need to get a different
engine.

Old March 20th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Powerflow? I've heard they're good, but I don't think they increase
horsepower *that* much!

That is one brand. I think I am thinking about another brand. Who knows
about how much increase, really. Anyone (most, anyway) promoting an
increased HP product, tend to boast about their effectiveness. g'

Anyone know how much Powerflow does increase HP?
--
Jim in NC