Sisu 1a, s/n 101, N6390X

Old January 6th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Hanson

Default Sisu 1a, s/n 101, N6390X

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the destruction
of Sisu 1a, s/n 101, N6390X.
We had a big storm blow through Avenal Ca and there
was much damage. She was tied out (claw anchors, ratchet
straps with screw shackles, wings on stands, tail elevated)
but the ground liquefied and it was blowing at a steady
60mph, gusting higher.
I found the ship on it's back, about 650 feet from
where I parked it, complete with said claw anchors/spikes/ratchet
straps/shackles. The 1-35 next to the Sisu was tied
up the same but was unharmed, fortunately for IT'S
owner. Although the 1-35 was hanging on by it's fingernails
it was still hanging on and any other portable tiedown
would have simply failed, and much sooner. The only
difference between our tiedown jobs, was his were spiked
in 2 months ago and mine were in since May or so (bad
idea). He is actually lucky that his ship was out there,
because his open trailer it goes on was significantly
overlapped by the Libelle trailer that was next to
it and would have been badly damaged/destroyed were
it there still.
We also had a 2-33 break chains and fly across the
street, landing on it's nose and back, 2 hangers destroyed
as well as the collapse of our new hanger that was
under construction. There was lots more damage at the
airfield as well as all over the county, with doors/roofs
ripped off buildings downed powerlines/trees etc. It
looked as if a tornado went through, but it was just
damn windy as well as completely saturated (the mud
here is very slick due to the fine particulate nature
of the dirt).
Pat, if you're reading this, I got lots of pics to
show you...

In Tears,
Paul Hanson

PS. Please allow me to grieve in peace, I DO know proper
tiedown practices, and regularly school others on the
subject (painful irony). My ship was not supposed to
be out there this month either, but...

Old January 6th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I know you must be sick. I know how
much work you put in to bringing that ship back to life. Just remember
that many of the great pilots who's history you've labored to preserve
and honor have also lost ships to similar circumstances. See you at
the convention pal.

Matt Michael
Ames Iowa

Old January 6th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Paul,

Sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved that ship.

Matt (Jr)
Old January 6th 08, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul,

you have my deepest sympathies. Another tear or 100 are being shed
for you and the glider from Iowa. See you in Albuquerque.
Old January 6th 08, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Paul,

So very sorry for your loss of the Sisu.

Thanks for carefully restoring # 101 to flying condition and
trailering it around to the SSA Conventions and the Vintage Sailplane
events for all of us to enjoy. Thanks also for sharing with us your
research on the Sisu and designer Leonard Neimi.

Take care,

Burt
Marfa

Old January 6th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

On Jan 6, 8:07*am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
A sad site.....http://www.hanfordsentinel.com/artic...08/01/06/news/
doc478076a5c8649598404834.txt

Old January 7th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike I Green[_2_]

Hi Paul,

My sympathies. It has been a hellish several days out here.

MG

Old January 7th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Disma

Hi Paul,

That is really sad news. Especially after it had taken so long ( over 10
years ! ) to get it restored after many desperate attempts by several
"restorers" and finally had it completed by a man of his word; George
Applebay.

I know you wanted to sell her and was very tempted to buy it back from you
but I waited to long to make that final decision and now it is too late.

Kind regards,

Hans Disma

"Mike I Green" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old January 10th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Hanson

Hi All, thanks for all the kind words. If anyone wants
to see some preliminary pics check out our club website
at:
www.soaravenal.com I will post a link to the damage
pics I took as soon as I post them to a URL. Also,
here is a link to some news coverage (unfortunately
they interview someone who was not even there (before,
during or after) and is not a glider history buff;
made obvious by his lamenting over our crappy/easily
replaced 2-33 without mention of the real loss. And
people wonder why gliding is dying pffft!)
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=5871282
Looking forward to seeing y'all at the convention.
This story ain't over yet...

Paul Hanson

PS. I did not 'want' to sell her, economics was forcing
my hand to find a new caretaker. I had found one too,
even with all my strings that were attached. Those
strings we
1. it keeps it's markings/historical exterior (no gap
seals etc)
2. no holes will be drilled (anywhere, save necessary
repairs)
3. I get to fly it once in a while (insurance to include
'guest pilots')
4. it gets displayed when/where appropriate (by new
owner or myself if new owner is unavailable)

Old February 13th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
skylar

I am a total stranger to you and I just happened on your story as I was
searching the net for Sisu pictures. When I was a youngster I used to hang
out at the local gliderport and run wingtips for rides and other such
freebies. One guy there flew an SZD Foka and I thought the supine flying
position was the cat's pajamas...until one weekend he showed up with a new
Sisu. That V-tail was the most radical thing I had ever seen on a sailplane
and it has influenced all my model sailplanes ever since. It was with great
sadness that I read about the demise of your ship, especially the part
about finding it on its back. Anthropomorphism (?) made it sound like a
giant regal bird that had passed away. My condolences.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaviation.com/gro...ation.soaring/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaviation.com/faq.html

Sisu 1A, s/n 101, N6390X-PRICE REDUCED- Paul Hanson Soaring 0 July 5th 07 12:37 AM
Sisu 1A, s/n 101, N6390X---For Sale--!! Paul Hanson Soaring 0 June 4th 07 10:20 PM
Al Parker's Sisu Jack Soaring 2 March 21st 05 07:22 PM
HP-11/Sisu Polar [email protected] Soaring 7 February 17th 05 10:46 PM