Nazi bombers found under East Berlin airport

Old July 23rd 03, 04:22 PM
Nick

Default Nazi bombers found under East Berlin airport

Interesting. ANyone care to guess what kind of aircraft were all "bombed-up"? lol.

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/interna...m?id=792292003
Old July 23rd 03, 04:59 PM
Ron

rom: (Nick)
Date: 7/23/2003 8:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time
Interesting. ANyone care to guess what kind of aircraft were all "bombed-up"?
lol.

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/interna...m?id=792292003

These rumors have been around for ages..Would be nice if there actuallly were
some aircraft found

Ron
Tucson AZ
C-421 air ambulance
Old July 23rd 03, 05:17 PM
Nick Pedley

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
Interesting. ANyone care to guess what kind of aircraft were all

"bombed-up"? lol.

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/interna...m?id=792292003

Sounds like something out of a Clive Cussler 'Dirk Pitt' novel.

Nick

Old July 25th 03, 06:29 AM
davidG35

Probablyer buried everything that had no value to the Russians, figure all
the rocket munitions and jet aircraft were sent back east and all the other
munitions and wrecks just tossed into the bunkers and buried. Would be
interesting to dig it all up though see if any were repairable/salvageable.
David

"Nick Pedley" wrote in message

om...

Old July 25th 03, 08:27 AM
The CO

"Nick Pedley" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
Interesting. ANyone care to guess what kind of aircraft were all

"bombed-up"? lol.

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/interna...m?id=792292003

Sounds like something out of a Clive Cussler 'Dirk Pitt' novel.

If so, probably some Ju-87's and perhaps Me-110's. He-111's perhaps,
though probably less likely..
Stukas were still getting lots of work in the anti-tank role right up to
the end of th war.
Rudel still flying them in the last days, so a good chance that if
there are indeed 'bombed up' (or not) aircraft stashed down there, a
good chance
some of them are Ju-87's.

Anything turbine powered would've been spirited back to the Rodina
pronto, so I wouldn't
be hopeful about Me-262's or Arados.

The CO

Old July 26th 03, 05:25 AM
Bill Silvey

"Nick Pedley" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
Interesting. ANyone care to guess what kind of aircraft were all
"bombed-up"? lol.

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/interna...m?id=792292003

Sounds like something out of a Clive Cussler 'Dirk Pitt' novel.

Nick

Except they're not made out of gold and capable of spaceflight.

or...ARE THEY???

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old July 26th 03, 04:51 PM
Uhu219

I had thought that Rudel had converted over to a Dora9 in early '45?

Mick
Old July 28th 03, 01:27 AM
The CO

"Uhu219" wrote in message
I had thought that Rudel had converted over to a Dora9 in early '45?

Haven't read "Stuka Pilot" for a while, I'll have to dig it out and have
a look.

The CO

Old July 28th 03, 05:22 AM
Gordon

I had thought that Rudel had converted over to a Dora9 in early '45?

Haven't read "Stuka Pilot" for a while, I'll have to dig it out and have
a look.

He, and his Ju 87 unit, as well as an FW 190 A support unit, surrendered to US
forces. Do a google on Stuka Girl for a fascinating sidelight to Rudel's final
combat sortie. He purposely landed his faithful Stuka at an angle, sheering
the landing gear and wrecking the aircraft. In an accompanying Ju 87, a young
woman was flown out by an enterprising boyfriend-pilot. In one of the FW 190s,
a small Luftwaffe technician slithered out of the cramped radio compartment of
the fighter-bomber, after it had been landed as gingerly as possible to avoid a
noseover of other type of crash. It was at a wars-end ceremony for the US
405th "Thundermonsters" at their newly won German airbase. Rudel quite
literally crashed the party with his surrender 'delegation'.

Rudel flew several late war aircraft types but his Geschwader's primary mission
was battlefield support and for this purpose, he generally chose the Ju 87.
Beats the crap out of me why. He integrated FW 190 A and F fighter-bombers
into his CAS wing but stated that there was no more stable gun platform for
destroying armor than his trusted Stuka.

BTW, he was one of the few ardent Hitler supporters, in fact, his support
appeared to linger after the war. His guest appearance at a postwar GAF
airbase caused such a stir that his old comrade in arms, Walter Krupinski, lost
his job as its commander. Rudel is one of the nasty ones - one of the real
"true believers" who no doubt got some sort of satisfaction out of wielding a
precision instrument of destruction.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."
Old July 29th 03, 08:50 AM
Gordon

Rudel

He relates several
meetings, and seems to be trying
to convince the reader that Hitler was mislead by his advisors on most
things.

Pure adulation on Rudel's part. Enough to convince me, even as a small boy,
that he never stopped being a Nazi. Even other German fighter pilots
considered him a racial extremist.

He was ordered to cease operational flying several times, including at
least once by Hitler himself, so it seems
he was a 'war junkie' and didn't want to give up his flying.

No kidding! Even on his 'surrender flight', he carried full ammo, in case a
suitable opportunity presented itself. I think he and Lau would have kept the
war going, if they could have figured out how. As an aside to their surrender
event, I think these two commanders were both disgusted that they were left
without a proper war to fight.

Definitely a strange cookie.

War lovers generally are.