Garmin 296. Should I retire my 295?

Old November 19th 04, 05:46 PM
kage

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
news:77qnd.117763$HA.96066@attbi_s01...
Bob,

Garmin has a beta version of new firmware for the 296 that eliminates
several of the complaints I had. I'm waiting until it's out of beta before
trying it.

I installed 2.93 Beta. It does add some nice features.

I like being able to (in simulator) reposition with identifier. Track works
in sim. Left and right traffic patterns are shown. Arrows point to
waypoints. More

Caused no problems for me.

Karl

Old November 19th 04, 06:26 PM
Richard Russell

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:46:27 -0800, "kage"
wrote:

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
Bob,

Garmin has a beta version of new firmware for the 296 that eliminates
several of the complaints I had. I'm waiting until it's out of beta before
trying it.

I installed 2.93 Beta. It does add some nice features.

I like being able to (in simulator) reposition with identifier. Track works
in sim. Left and right traffic patterns are shown. Arrows point to
waypoints. More

Caused no problems for me.

Karl

I'm using the beta firmware in my 196 and I haven't had any problems.
I didn't like the idea that it wiped out all of my settings and
information. I did back up my routes and user defined waypoints but I
lost my flights and every setting that I had changed from the
defaults. I think it took me a couple of hours to get it back how it
was. Operationally, I like it.
Rich Russell
Old November 19th 04, 11:57 PM
Jay Masino

Richard Russell wrote:
I'm using the beta firmware in my 196 and I haven't had any problems.
I didn't like the idea that it wiped out all of my settings and
information. I did back up my routes and user defined waypoints but I
lost my flights and every setting that I had changed from the
defaults. I think it took me a couple of hours to get it back how it
was. Operationally, I like it.

Did they happen to add the obsticle database to the 196?

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old November 20th 04, 05:53 PM
Tim B

The 196 does autorouting and turn-by-turn so I suspect the 296 will do it
also. It constantly calculates the route too so if you miss a turn (or
purposely take a "scenic route"), you get a new turn by turn solution. I've
used it many times sightseeing by car in unknown cities. You don't have
to worry about where you are.

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
(Bonza) writes:

1. trading it in on a 296.
2. buying a 296 and moving the 295 to the car.
3. waiting for something better.

I also have a 295 and have considered trading up. But I almost
certainly would not buy another Garmin, instead, I'd really consider
the AvMap EKP-IV. They should have the terrain upgrade coming out
very soon.

I have tried the 295 in a car. It's better than nothing, but since it
won't generate routing internally it doesn't help that much with which
street to turn on. At least it shows where you are.

Garmin 430 Reception Jon Kraus Owning 16 November 7th 04 03:17 AM
Garmin 296 worth the money? Terry Owning 15 June 22nd 04 09:03 AM
Garmin Specials ADV Michael Coates Home Built 0 March 18th 04 12:24 AM
Garmin DME arc weidnress Dave Touretzky Instrument Flight Rules 5 October 2nd 03 02:04 AM
Garmin 430/530 Questions Steve Coleman Instrument Flight Rules 16 August 28th 03 09:04 PM