Greatest Number of Traps

Old March 22nd 05, 02:58 AM
vincent p. norris

Didn't you have to CQ in flight training? When I was at Pensacola,
1049-50

1049? Man Vince, I knew you were my elder but wow!

Preparing to support the invasion force of William the *******, no
doubt!!!!! ;-)

Damn! That's the second time I've done that in just a couple of
weeks!

But with a name like Norris, derived (I'm told) from "Norseman," I
suppose I would have been on Bill's side, not Harry's.

vince norris
Old March 22nd 05, 12:07 PM
Red Rider

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
In article ,
Ogden Johnson III writes:

[Does anybody in the US military still get paid with checks [much
less {gasp!!!!!!} cash] nowadays, or has DoD gone mandatory
direct deposit? Saw on a recent cable show on carriers that all
their crew's cash comes out of an ATM.]

Funny that you should bring that up... I've just been working on a
piece of that, actually. It's more than just ATMs - Some ships are
part of NavyCash, which reduces the demand for hard money by
substituting programmable "Smart Cards" for geedunks & stamps & Mess
Dues and such. You can transfer funds from your Ship's Account, using
something like an ATM, and use the card in the Coke Machines & such.
The accounting for the DISBOs is a lot easier, and so are the
logistics. It seems that when they empty the cash boxes in the Coke
Machines every month, they're hauling about 1,000# of quarters around
the ship. (For a CV or LPH-sized ship). So, anyway, the effort is
there to eliminate hard cash on ships. (The cards can also be used as
Debit Cards ashore).

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions

Is there anyone (other than Vincent P. Norris) that remembers being paid in
cash every other Friday?

As far as the greatest number of traps, I wonder who had the most combat
traps? For the life of me (getting old I guess) I can't remember the name of
the A-4 jock from Vietnam era who had something like 750 "green ink" entries
in his log book. Heck I think he retired as an admiral too.

Red Rider

Old March 22nd 05, 03:10 PM
Bob

I know one person with just one trap. Major (USAF) Ron Markey. USS
Midway, circa 1970 in an S-2 with me in the right seat. Illegal but
factual. Now it can be told.

Old March 22nd 05, 03:37 PM
nafod40

John Miller wrote:
Since the thread's dragged out a bit now, I wonder if I've got the
fewest of anyone here who has any traps at all, with two (S2, on the
Lex, early '70s).

Anyone got just one?

We had an AI in our squadron that we took up for a single trap. We took
a hundred trap patch and sewed a decimal point after the "1" and gave it
to him.

Old March 22nd 05, 04:55 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Red Rider" wrote:

"Peter Stickney" wrote:

Ogden Johnson III writes:

[Does anybody in the US military still get paid with checks [much
less {gasp!!!!!!} cash] nowadays, or has DoD gone mandatory
direct deposit? Saw on a recent cable show on carriers that all
their crew's cash comes out of an ATM.]

[Snip Peter's informative stuff on "NavyCash". Now that you
mentioned that, I think that's what they were showing on that
cable show - in addition to the presence of ATMs (presumably
necessary to get "RealCash" to change into local currency for
liberty during port calls. ;-) Thanks for the info, Peter.]

Is there anyone (other than Vincent P. Norris) that remembers being paid in
cash every other Friday?

Went the whole gamut, save once-a-month cash pay days, from
1st/15th of the month [or 5th/20th, it varied depending on base]
cash pay days, to the same days but checks, to another mix
between the 1/15 (or 5/20) checks and every other week checks.
Which, when instituted, got a lot of complaints that "they
reduced my pay" from people who couldn't figure out that pay
divided into 24 paydays a year might be somewhat less, in
individual increments, when the same pay is split between 26 pay
days a year. Sigh.

Some of the doggies from my HS days who were drafted when I
enlisted were still paid under the old Army "once a month"
scheme. AFAIK, the Naval Service had gone semi-monthly totally
by that time [1961]. At least that was my experience.
--
OJ III
Old March 22nd 05, 05:47 PM
Mike Weeks

Lynn in StLou wrote:
W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Just curious....

Who in the Navy holds the record for greatest number of carrier

trap
landings? And what's his total number of traps?

I recall a bit in The Hook a while back in which
this very question was addressed. It was a
British pilot, IIRC, but I do not recall his name.
Will sift through the back issues and see if I
can find it.

That has a ring to it -- IIRC, it was a RN fella by the name of Brown.

As for the USN, there was awhile back an article in The Hook which
addressed that subject also -- don't recall it being Flatley.

Mike

Old March 22nd 05, 06:03 PM
Red Rider

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message
"Red Rider" wrote:

SNIP! SNIP!
[...]

To the best of my knowledge the Naval Services started switching from every
other Friday, cash Paydays about 1960. The switch went by Naval/MC
districts. It started in the NE (1st Naval/MC District????). They would go
first to checks every other Friday then to Checks twice a month , usually
the 1st/15th. I managed to keep getting transferred ahead of the change,
until they finally caught me in WestPac. As far as I know WestPac was the
last to change over. When we left Japan in late '64 going south they
"ENCOURAGED" everyone to draw the minimum cash needed for the month on the
1st and to take the rest either in a check or deposit to the saving program
that they had for all military in and around Vietnam and Vietnam waters. The
15th payday was check or saving deposit only. Interest accumulated tax free
of course if you were in a combat zone, that is if you got shot at or not,
and also if your unit was moving in and out of a combat zone. At that time I
know that the Marines rotated most of their units (Hawk Missile Batteries)
out of Vietnam for 30-45 days at a time and then returned them. Naval units
ashore such as the Seabees, NSA, Patrol Sq, Beachmasters, Medical, Liaison,
etc.did likewise, although by sections instead of whole units.

Yes Virginia, in those days you didn't get combat pay unless you were shot
at, and when you returned to the ship, you must swear to, (not at) the
AdminO. Hummmm? when did that change? 1 Jan 66? Polaroid's of tracers flying
over the Plane of Jars worked well, until the AdminO got wise. Then we
started flying a serious photo mission
grin for a few days, until new pictures were taken. I just remembered, we
couldn't the "classified" photo's out of Intel to show the AdminO because he
didn't "have a need to know". I wonder if things are still as f***ed up?. At
that time anything that showed any kind of military activity was classified.

Old March 22nd 05, 06:50 PM
Mike Kanze

Red,

I wonder who had the most combat traps?

Would these include being yelled at by the Boss or enduring squirrelly calls
by LSOs? g

--
Mike Kanze

"You're never too old to become younger."

- Mae West

om...

Old March 22nd 05, 06:54 PM
Mike Kanze

Red,

Is there anyone (other than Vincent P. Norris) that remembers being paid in
cash every other Friday?

Still very common into the late 1960s. It's how I got my liberty $$ while on
3rd Class Midshipman cruise (on a CruDesPac tin can) in 1966.

Somewhat related sidebar: When CORAL MARU returned from its 1973 WestPac
cruise, we happened to find ourselves approaching the International Date
Line the evening of payday. Of course after crossing the Line, the "next"
day was still the "same" day on the calendar. Guys were joking that it was
payday again, and when was pay call going to be piped?

---
Mike Kanze

"You're never too old to become younger."

- Mae West

om...

Old March 22nd 05, 07:45 PM
John Weiss

"Red Rider" wrote...

Is there anyone (other than Vincent P. Norris) that remembers being paid
in
cash every other Friday?

Yes...